There are too many people from Boston on A2K

littlek

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 11:37 pm
<gus wonders where dagmaraka and littlek have gone and why the window behind him is wide open.>
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 11:56 pm
<go on, gus. keep the mob at bay for as long as you can.>
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 12:00 am
No, I'm trying to remember the name of the motel I eventually ended up staying at in Portland. It was behind an old abandoned restaurant. The office sat on the highway and looked like one of those little buildings where you drop off film, only much more run down.

I think it might have been called Ramada or something fairly recognizable like that, but the vision was rather startling. You see the big sign, then the small hut sitting at the edge of the road alongside an enormous empty parking lot with an enormous derelict restaurant in the background and you wonder "Where the hell do the people stay?"

Turns out the motel was tucked in a hole behind the restaurant. No streetlights in the hole, garbage everywhere. locks didn't work, that sort of thing. I had to barricade myself in the room so I could rest without worry
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 12:01 am
yikes! are you sure it was portland, ME?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 12:02 am
Absolutely. I tried about 5 motels until I found one with a room available.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 12:03 am
was the capybara convention in town?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 12:05 am
Are you making light of my story, K?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 12:06 am
not at all. I don't really know anything about portland except it's supposed to be nice. I have no idea how many hotels there are, but I'm sort of surprised they were all full unless there was a convention. Was it August?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 12:07 am
I'm headin' into town. I'll try to remember the name of that restaurant and check back tomorrow.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 12:08 am
okiedokie (note to self, Gus lives in a big metropolis area....?)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 12:09 am
I think lots of people around here head north in August.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 12:12 am
yeah. the Monster will be in town, too. If you recognize him, don't be shy with your pitchfork there.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 02:27 am
Hey! I thought of the restaurant. Valles.

And who is the monster?
0 Replies

Tenoch

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 03:13 am
I feel like I'm the only one on this board from California
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 03:38 am
I think cjsha is from California.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 08:14 am
Technically, I'm not from Boston, so this thread dosen't pertain to me, now does it :-)

I get to stay, aaaahhh.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 08:29 am
you can nevah have too many people from bahstin
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 08:31 am
djjd62, are you from bashstin?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 08:49 am
no, i'm from canada

southern ontario, near detroit michigan

i just love trying out my boston accent

i live to see ted kennedy interviewed on the news, it makes my day
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 08:58 am
Being as how this is the Hub of the Universe, as well as the Athens of America, it does seem rather presumtuous of people who hail from such barbaric venues as New Amsterdam to dare presume that there can be such a condition as a surfeit of Bostonians. Were it not for the Brahmins of Boston, why, this country would have no culture whatsoever. We'd all have to go to Canada to get a breath of fresh, intellectual air.

In my palmier salad days I actually tried to reside for a spell in what is fondly known as Gotham. At that tender age, when one's capacity for making fine judgements is not yet fully developed, I rather enjoyed the no-holds-barred nightlife which that otherwise benighted (pun intentional) city offered. But a thirst for the finer things in life (coupled with a rapidly diminishing bank account) finally drew me back to the bosom of civilization. Why, anyone with an ounce of common sense strives to make the grade (or upgrade, if you will) to the City of Brotherly Beans. James Levine gleefully left his post at the Metropolitan Opera for the honor of becoming music director of the Boston Symphony Orchestra. The yankees slunk off with tail between legs after the BoSox roundly trounced them. The Patriots are now a dynasty team, not to mention world football champions. The list goes on ad infinitum.

If, for some reason, I had to leave this city on a hill, I might consider taking up light housekeeping in San Francisco, a worthy West Coast sister city. I'll take Manhattan, the Bronx and Staten Island...I'll take them cum magnum grano salis.
0 Replies