Brilliant metaphores

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 04:24 pm
3, 9, 11, 15, 16, 20, 22, and 28 are true gems. 22 is an absolute superstar.

Actual Analogies and Metaphors in High School Essays

1. Her face was a perfect oval, like a circle that had its two sides, you know like gently compressed by a Thigh Master.

2. His thoughts tumbled around in his head, making and breaking alliances like underpants in a dryer without Cling Free softener.

3. He spoke with the wisdom that can only come from experience, like a guy who went blind because he looked at a solar eclipse without one of those boxes with a pinhole in it and now goes around the country speaking at high schools about the dangers of looking at solar eclipses without one of those boxes with a pinhole in it.

4. She grew on him like she was a colony of E. coli and he was room-temperature Canadian beef.

5. She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like that sound a dog makes just before it throws up.

6. Her vocabulary was as bad as - like - whatever.

7. He was as tall as a six-foot-three-inch tree.

8. The revelation that his marriage of 30 years had disintegrated because of his wife's infidelity came as a rude shock - like a surcharge at a formerly surcharge-free ATM.

9. The little boat gently drifted across the pond exactly the way a bowling ball would not.

10. McBride fell 12 stories, hitting the pavement like a Hefty bag filled with vegetable soup.

11. From the attic came an unearthly howl. The whole scene had an eerie, surreal quality, like when you're on vacation in another city and Jeopardy comes on at 7:00 p.m. instead of 7:30.

12. Her hair glistened in the rain like a nose hair after a sneeze.

13. The hailstones leaped from the pavement, just like maggots when you fry them in hot grease.

14. Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19 p.m. at a speed of 35 mph.

15. They lived in a typical suburban neighborhood with picket fences that resembled Nancy Kerrigan's teeth.

16. John and Mary had never met. They were like two hummingbirds who had also never met.

17. He fell for her like his heart was a mob informant and she was the East River.

18. Even in his last years, my Grandpappy had a mind like a steel trap, only one that had been left out so long that it had rusted shut.

19. Shots rang out, as shots are wont to do.

20. The plan was simple, just like my brother-in-law Phil. But unlike Phil, this plan just actually might work.

21. The young fighter had a hungry look, the kind you get from not eating for a while.

22. He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck, either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

23. The ballerina rose gracefully en pointe and extended one slender leg behind her, just like a dog at a fire hydrant.

24. It was an American tradition, like fathers chasing their kids around waving power tools at them.

25. He was deeply in love. When she spoke, he thought he heard bells, as if she were a garbage truck backing up.

26. Her eyes were like limpid pools, only they had forgotten to put in any pH cleanser.

27. She walked into my office like a centipede with 98 missing legs.

28. It really hurt! like the way your tongue hurts after you accidentally staple it to the wall.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,388 • Replies: 22
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 04:27 pm
I like #16, too, it's poetic...

#24 is clever...
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 04:31 pm
She had a spot in her heart, you know, like that cat behind our apartment building that had been run over so many times it just looked like a spot in someone's heart that had been run over so many times you could hardly tell it had once been a cat.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 04:56 pm
dys, that was clever, like an old wizard, but not the forgetful and ugly one, but the one that was clever.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 04:59 pm
This stuff belongs in Dark and Stormy Night.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 05:01 pm
umm, what's Dark and Stormy Night?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 05:14 pm
Hilarious! My favourite is #27. #17 had me surprised there too.

And #s 7 and 21 win the Tom Hanks straightforward-truths award ...
0 Replies

wasveryhappytillthis

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 05:35 pm
brilliant!
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 09:30 pm
I guess our high schoolers aren't in as bad a shape as they're made out to be.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 10:00 pm
One of my all time favorites came from the film Charade. James Coburn said to Cary Grant "You fell for her like an egg from a tall chicken".
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 11:24 pm
Dag, that was enjoyable. Could I have the link you found that on?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 11:30 pm
Mostly I liked the same ones as dag, I think my favorite is 16.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 11:34 pm
I thought 20 was cute.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 11:43 pm
The ballerina and the firehydrant got to me...
and the garbage truck .... http://www.mainzelahr.de/smile/froehlich/rofl.gif

Gosh, they're all so funny.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 10:11 am
Re: Brilliant metaphores
dagmaraka wrote:
20. The plan was simple, just like my brother-in-law Phil. But unlike Phil, this plan just actually might work....

25. He was deeply in love. When she spoke, he thought he heard bells, as if she were a garbage truck backing up.

These are ALL great, but these two made me spew coffee all over my monitor. I actually have a brother-in-law named Phil, and that perfectly describes him. ROTFLMAO!!!

And the second one really is a perfect metaphor for highschool love.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 10:30 am
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 12:54 pm
Quote:
9. The little boat gently drifted across the pond exactly the way a bowling ball would not.

Whoever wrote that one must have be a Hitchhikers Guide fan.

The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.
Douglas Adams

There were a lot of good ones in that list.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 01:50 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
umm, what's Dark and Stormy Night?

"It was a dark and stormy night; the rain fell in torrents--except at occasional intervals, when it was checked by a violent gust of wind which swept up the streets (for it is in London that our scene lies), rattling along the housetops, and fiercely agitating the scanty flame of the lamps that struggled against the darkness."

--Edward George Bulwer-Lytton, Paul Clifford (1830)

Generally acknowledged as the worst opening line of any novel ever written.

They have an annual contest, now, for wretched writing.

http://www.bulwer-lytton.com/
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 01:51 pm
Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest
2004 Results

Winner:
She resolved to end the love affair with Ramon tonight . . . summarily, like Martha Stewart ripping the sand vein out of a shrimp's tail . . . though the term "love affair" now struck her as a ridiculous euphemism . . . not unlike "sand vein," which is after all an intestine, not a vein . . . and that tarry substance inside certainly isn't sand . . . and that brought her back to Ramon.

Dave Zobel
Manhattan Beach, CA
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 01:54 pm
Dishonorable Mention

As he entered the room within which so many a wild night of their sweltering love affair had been spent, the White Rabbit regarded her with benevolent eyes, her posture such that he suspected something was wrong, but before he could speak Alice unburied her face from her trembling hands and between her intense sobs he made out the words, "I'm late . . . I'm late."

Cory Gano
Camas, WA
0 Replies