Calling All Democrats

McGentrix

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 08:54 pm
old europe wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
Date and link?

Sorry... the source

Ok, so on 3/2/2004 the UN stated there were no WMD's in Iraq. Bully for them. Perhaps if Saddam had not tried so hard in thwarting UN weapons inspections there would have been no war. Only after the invasion were the inspectors allowed to fulfill their responsibilities in determining that. There are still many doubts though whether Saddam had them leading up to the invasion. There is enough evidence to suggest they had been moved to Syria and no one can truly say whether he had them or not. Hell, they may still be found buried in the desert... like the centrifuges found in a scientists backyard garden...
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 09:47 pm
McGentrix wrote:
... Only after the invasion were the inspectors allowed to fulfill their responsibilities in determining that.

This is not quite right. The UNMOVIC inspections ended in May 2003. In his final report Hans Blix, then Acting Executive Chairman of UNMOVIC, briefed the Security Council on the findings of the inspectors.
You can read this

Quote:
Let me highlight some points: The first point, made in paragraph 8 of the report, is that the Commission has not at any time during the inspections in Iraq found evidence of the continuation or resumption of programmes of weapons of mass destruction or significant quantities of proscribed items - whether from pre-1991 or later. I leave aside the Al Samoud 2 missile system, which we concluded was proscribed.

here.

In May 2003, the Bush administration decided to establish a specialized group of about 1,500 individuals, the Iraq Survey Group (ISG), to search the country for WMD - replacing the 75th Exploitation Task Force, which had originally been assigned the mission. Appointed to lead the Group, whose motto is "find, exploit, eliminate," was Maj. Gen. Keith Dayton, the head of the Defense Intelligence Agency's Directorate of Operations.

Now you might wish to actually READ the article I mentioned, and pay attention to this statement:

Quote:
But U.N. reports submitted to the Security Council before the war by Hans Blix, former chief U.N. arms inspector, and Mohamed ElBaradei, head of the U.N.'s nuclear watchdog agency, have been largely validated by U.S. weapons teams. The common findings:

Iraq's nuclear weapons program was dormant.

No evidence was found to suggest Iraq possessed chemical or biological weapons. U.N. officials believe the weapons were destroyed by U.N. inspectors or Iraqi officials in the years after the 1991 Gulf War.

So when you are saying that

McGentrix wrote:
... There are still many doubts though whether Saddam had them leading up to the invasion...

then this is not quite true. Mind you, these are the findings of the U.S. ISG Group and David Kay, who was appointed special advisor and traveled to Iraq to lead the search.

So I might ask YOU for a your sources proving that

McGentrix wrote:
There is enough evidence to suggest they had been moved to Syria and no one can truly say whether he had them or not.

or that

McGentrix wrote:
they may still be found buried in the desert... like the centrifuges found in a scientists backyard garden...

Oh, btw I don't want to ignore the sensational centrifuges found in a scientists backyard garden...
It's true, a lot can be done with some centrifuges. It's well worth invading a country. It's well worth hundred of BILLIONS of dollars (of your tax money, hehehehe). It's well worth the death of thousands of Iraqi civilians. It's well worth the death of 1,469 soldiers until today (1,332 since "Mission Accomplished", I should add).

It just doesn't look like a WMD program. Just like David Kay, the former U.S. chief inspector, concludes: that Iraq had no banned weapons before last year's U.S-led invasion. And that Iraq's nuclear weapons program was dormant.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 11:25 pm
old europe wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
old europe wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
You miss the point entirely. Since Hussein had been so misleading about his WMD and WMD programs for so long, and since he had not provided any real proof that he had disarmed despite the fact that he badly wanted sanctions removed, there was some real chance that he still had them. Had that been so, millions of lives could have been lost down the line. For this reason, the decision to invade was exactly correct.

So North Korea resumed its WMD program. It claims to have WMD. Millions of lives could be lost down the line. For this reason, what would you do?

This is so elementary, it's almost sickening that I have to plod through it, but here is your answer. I would negotiate and impotently beg them to be nice. Maybe use an economic carrot and stick. It's too late with North Korea. They have the bomb. If we invaded they could either destroy the south or use nuclear weapons on our troops. We missed the bus on this one. We invaded Iraq to prevent Hussein from achieving this level of near invulnerability.

This is so elementary, it's almost sickening - I have to agree! And I have to agree on how to deal with NK. But maybe you remember this:

16 October 2002: The US announces that North Korea admitted in their talks to a secret nuclear arms programme.

source

So you say Iray was invaded to prevent Hussein from achieving this level. But then I would ask: What has been done concerning North Korea? A country that admis to a secret nuke program?
AND, at the same time, Iraq has been invaded, even though there was at least a lot of doubt about WMDs?
Can't you see the least bit of incongruency?

OMG. Let's try once more. Iraq was invaded because it was believed that the nukes were not completed yet. Had they already had them like North Korea does, we would have had to impotently beg Saddam Hussein to play nice, as we now are with North Korea. In the case of Iraq, we wanted to invade before he conferred invulnerability on himself with nukes.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 11:34 pm
old europe wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
The reason that it was a good idea to invade Iraq was because of questions about WMD, not to free his hideously opressed people. That was a fringe benefit. We can't invade North Korea. They are nuclear. All we can do is whine for NK to please play nice.

This is so funny, but soooo sad at the same time!! Please clarify:

Quote:
The reason that it was a good idea to invade Iraq was because of questions about WMD

So whenever there is a question about WMD you'd say: INVADE. No, wait, you would say it is a GOOD IDEA to INVADE,

Whereas
Quote:
We can't invade North Korea. They are nuclear.

In other words: once a country has reached the level of nuclearness, you have to respect them and treat them like decent guys.

Isn't this world a weird place?

Every Boy's ABCs of the Nuclear Age:

1. When a very bad and evil dictator who is a high risk to use WMD should he obtain them, tries to acquire them, but has not yet acheived a level to make invasion impossible, you ask him a few times to stop, and if he doesn't you stop him. This is even more true if said dictator is friendly with terrorists.

2. Once the same dictator has achieved near invulnerability with WMD, as, for instance, when he seems to already have nukes, you cannot invade. Said dictator could kill a million people in the first hour of said war. In this case, you simply have no choice but to whine for him to play nice.

What part of that don't you get?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 07:46 am
old europe wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
... Only after the invasion were the inspectors allowed to fulfill their responsibilities in determining that.

This is not quite right. The UNMOVIC inspections ended in May 2003. In his final report Hans Blix, then Acting Executive Chairman of UNMOVIC, briefed the Security Council on the findings of the inspectors.
You can read this

Quote:
Let me highlight some points: The first point, made in paragraph 8 of the report, is that the Commission has not at any time during the inspections in Iraq found evidence of the continuation or resumption of programmes of weapons of mass destruction or significant quantities of proscribed items - whether from pre-1991 or later. I leave aside the Al Samoud 2 missile system, which we concluded was proscribed.

here.

The very next paragraph:
Quote:
As I have noted before, this does not necessarily mean that such items could not exist. They might - there remain long lists of items unaccounted for - but it is not justified to jump to the conclusion that something exists just because it is unaccounted for.

Nor was it justified to ignore the long list of items that could have fallen into Osama's hands when Saddam decided to sell them on the black market.

Quote:
In May 2003, the Bush administration decided to establish a specialized group of about 1,500 individuals, the Iraq Survey Group (ISG), to search the country for WMD - replacing the 75th Exploitation Task Force, which had originally been assigned the mission. Appointed to lead the Group, whose motto is "find, exploit, eliminate," was Maj. Gen. Keith Dayton, the head of the Defense Intelligence Agency's Directorate of Operations.

Now you might wish to actually READ the article I mentioned, and pay attention to this statement:

Quote:
But U.N. reports submitted to the Security Council before the war by Hans Blix, former chief U.N. arms inspector, and Mohamed ElBaradei, head of the U.N.'s nuclear watchdog agency, have been largely validated by U.S. weapons teams. The common findings:

Iraq's nuclear weapons program was dormant.

No evidence was found to suggest Iraq possessed chemical or biological weapons. U.N. officials believe the weapons were destroyed by U.N. inspectors or Iraqi officials in the years after the 1991 Gulf War.

So when you are saying that

McGentrix wrote:
... There are still many doubts though whether Saddam had them leading up to the invasion...

then this is not quite true. Mind you, these are the findings of the U.S. ISG Group and David Kay, who was appointed special advisor and traveled to Iraq to lead the search.

Were there no longer doubts, would we be having this conversation? It would only take one WMD to change the landscape of America. One. Do you care to take that risk? I sure don't.

Quote:
So I might ask YOU for a your sources proving that

McGentrix wrote:
There is enough evidence to suggest they had been moved to Syria and no one can truly say whether he had them or not.

or that

McGentrix wrote:
they may still be found buried in the desert... like the centrifuges found in a scientists backyard garden...

Nope. I am merely speculating. Do you have sources that can 100% deny those charges?

Quote:
Oh, btw I don't want to ignore the sensational centrifuges found in a scientists backyard garden...
It's true, a lot can be done with some centrifuges. It's well worth invading a country. It's well worth hundred of BILLIONS of dollars (of your tax money, hehehehe). It's well worth the death of thousands of Iraqi civilians. It's well worth the death of 1,469 soldiers until today (1,332 since "Mission Accomplished", I should add).

It just doesn't look like a WMD program. Just like David Kay, the former U.S. chief inspector, concludes: that Iraq had no banned weapons before last year's U.S-led invasion. And that Iraq's nuclear weapons program was dormant.

Well, the cows haven't come home and the fat lady hasn't sung, so we can continue this...

Prior to the invasion, Saddam had 12 years to allow weapons inspectors to prove he had dismantled ALL of his WMD's and WMD programs. Saddam was uncooperative and thought he would eventually win the little battle between himself and the great satan. He thought he would outlast the resolve of the US to protect itself. He was wrong.

It wasn't until we had amasses 100,000 soldiers on his borders that he finally allowed the UN weapon inspectors to try to do their job. He finally realized that the eagle was awake and mightily pissed off. He finally realized he had lost the game. It wasn't enough. 9/11 changed the rules of the game. We could no longer allow the failed UN sanctions to protect oour country from terrorism. We could no longer take the risk that Saddam had indeed fulfilled his obligations under repeatedly ignored UN resolutions.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 08:09 am
Brandon9000 wrote:

1. When a very bad and evil dictator who is a high risk to use WMD should he obtain them, tries to acquire them, but has not yet acheived a level to make invasion impossible, you ask him a few times to stop, and if he doesn't you stop him. This is even more true if said dictator is friendly with terrorists.

Okay, Brandon.... To some degree I have to agree with you. Nobody wants to see WMD in the hands of dictators. Or in the hands of madmen who seem to be totally capable of using them.
Still, I wonder if you are making these statements IN GENERAL or if you are just JUSTIFYING the invasion of Iraq.
Because if you are saying EVERY "evil dictator who is a high risk to use WMD should he obtain them, tries to acquire them, but has not yet acheived a level to make invasion impossible" should be stopped by means of invading the countries (pardon, "liberating" the country), then what about North Korea in 2002? Or is this question too difficult for you to answer?
Oh, in case you forgot about what happened twoandahalf years ago (some people just have a bad memory) - maybe a look at the NK timeline might be helpful:

Quote:
October 2002: The Bush administration reveals that Pyongyang had admitted operating a secret nuclear weapons program in violation of the 1994 agreement. North Korean officials acknowledged the program after U.S. officials confronted them with evidence.

source

So North Korea wasn't invaded BECAUSE??? Oh, right, the 9/11 guys where muslims... not asians.... right! That's what you mean by

Brandon9000 wrote:
This is even more true if said dictator is friendly with terrorists.

No, I probably got you wrong... I beg you to explain what you mean by that statement, it doesn't make too much sense to me.

Brandon9000 wrote:
2. Once the same dictator has achieved near invulnerability with WMD, as, for instance, when he seems to already have nukes, you cannot invade. Said dictator could kill a million people in the first hour of said war. In this case, you simply have no choice but to whine for him to play nice.

Yes. I agree. So Washington knew (and said it knew) about NKs secret nuke program. Whereas int about Iraq said there was no such program. You might want to reread the findings of UNMOVIC, stating that

Quote:
the Commission has not at any time during the inspections in Iraq found evidence of the continuation or resumption of programmes of weapons of mass destruction or significant quantities of proscribed items - whether from pre-1991 or later.

So you have one country that openly admits to pursuing a nuke program and one country that for all we know doesn't have one. Which country do we invade? You might be kind enough to share your opinion on this issue with the rest of us.

But lets continue...

Brandon9000 wrote:

True. I agree. Deal with them. Some diplomatic efforts, maybe. Trick them into giving up their program. Get them to destroy their nukes. DON'T JUST IGNORE THEM.
I honestly doubt the government is exactly doing that... I doubt the government pays a lot of attention to NK. I would rather say they downsize the problem and distract people by stating this:

Quote:
Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said the administration believed it had the diplomatic tools to try to force Syria to leave Lebanon but noted Bush never took options off the table -- code for not ruling out the possibility, however remote, of military action.

source

Another splendid idea of the Bush government, wouldn't you say? Oh, right, I forgot your statement: Invade them BEFORE they even have a CHANCE of obtaining nukes. Fight another war. Bomb Iran. And Syria.

Brandon9000 wrote:

Honestly?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 08:43 am
McGentrix wrote:
The very next paragraph:
Quote:
As I have noted before, this does not necessarily mean that such items could not exist. They might - there remain long lists of items unaccounted for - but it is not justified to jump to the conclusion that something exists just because it is unaccounted for.

Let me mark another sentence....

Quote:

Lets just stop this here and agree that we didn't know in 2003. I still say UN inspections and US military pressure could have resolved the issue.

McGentrix wrote:
Nor was it justified to ignore the long list of items that could have fallen into Osama's hands when Saddam decided to sell them on the black market.

Please! Please!!!! Could you give me some links proving your speculations?? What items?? What did Saddam sell?? What was he trying to sell???

McGentrix wrote:

snip

Were there no longer doubts, would we be having this conversation? It would only take one WMD to change the landscape of America. One. Do you care to take that risk? I sure don't.

snip

Nope. I am merely speculating. Do you have sources that can 100% deny those charges?

Yes. You are merely speculating. As was the government. This is what all around the world people seem to feel. The US is merely speculating - but hey, this is reason enough to wager war upon a country, unilaterally.
Can't you see why people get totally pissed off? Don't you see why people come to hate the US? Don't you see why people want to kill Americans?

No, wait, you are giving reasons...

McGentrix wrote:
Prior to the invasion, Saddam had 12 years to allow weapons inspectors to prove he had dismantled ALL of his WMD's and WMD programs. Saddam was uncooperative and thought he would eventually win the little battle between himself and the great satan. He thought he would outlast the resolve of the US to protect itself. He was wrong.

You're right. He was uncooperative.

McGentrix wrote:
It wasn't until we had amasses 100,000 soldiers on his borders that he finally allowed the UN weapon inspectors to try to do their job. He finally realized that the eagle was awake and mightily pissed off. He finally realized he had lost the game.

Exactly. So why the war, McG??? Why????

McGentrix wrote:
It wasn't enough. 9/11 changed the rules of the game. We could no longer allow the failed UN sanctions to protect oour country from terrorism. We could no longer take the risk that Saddam had indeed fulfilled his obligations under repeatedly ignored UN resolutions.

But you could ignore North Korea. You say

McGentrix wrote:
It would only take one WMD to change the landscape of America. One. Do you care to take that risk? I sure don't.

Well, neither do I. I sure don't. But guess who does? The US government!!!
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 12:05 am
old europe wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Okay, Brandon.... To some degree I have to agree with you. Nobody wants to see WMD in the hands of dictators. Or in the hands of madmen who seem to be totally capable of using them. Still, I wonder if you are making these statements IN GENERAL or if you are just JUSTIFYING the

invasion of Iraq.

I am making them in general, but what would it matter why I was making them or what my personal merits or faults were? If the statement is correct, then it is correct regardless of its origin.

old europe wrote:
Because if you are saying EVERY "evil dictator who is a high risk to use WMD

should he obtain them, tries to acquire them, but has not yet acheived a level to make invasion impossible" should be stopped by means of invading the countries (pardon, "liberating" the country), then what about North Korea in 2002? Or is this question too difficult for you to answer?
Oh, in case you forgot about what happened twoandahalf years ago (some people just have a bad memory) - maybe a look at the NK timeline might be helpful:

Quote:
October 2002: The Bush administration reveals that Pyongyang had admitted operating a secret nuclear weapons program in violation of the 1994 agreement. North Korean officials acknowledged the program after U.S. officials confronted them with evidence.

source

So North Korea wasn't invaded BECAUSE??? Oh, right, the 9/11 guys where muslims... not asians....

I am saying that my above quoted position should be followed EVERY time this situation occurs, although, as I stated in the previous post, I am all in favor of a serious effort to persuade the evil dictator to verifiably give up his WMD before invading. Hussein had 12 years.

I believe that the US first announced that North Korea appeared to be in violation of its nuclear non-proliferation treaty in late 2002. North Korea claimed possession of working nuclear bombs in April of 2003:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/asiapcf/east/04/24/nkorea.us/index.html

So the window of opportunity for invasion seems to have been less than a year. Since I do say that an attempt should first be made to negotiate, failure to invade during that brief window does not necessarily show deriliction of duty by the US government. If anything, the dereliction was in not insisting on a sufficient inspection program to detect that North Korea had re-activated its nuke program.

old europe wrote:
....right! That's what you mean by

Brandon9000 wrote:
This is even more true if said dictator is friendly with terrorists.

No, I probably got you wrong... I beg you to explain what you mean by that statement, it doesn't make too much sense to me.

I'm not sure why it doesn't make sense to you. A dictator whose actions make him seem to be a high risk to use WMD should he get them is even more of a threat if he appears to have friendly contacts with terrorists, because he might someday give or sell nukes to the terrorists.

old europe wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Yes. I agree. So Washington knew (and said it knew) about NKs secret nuke program. Whereas int about Iraq said there was no such program. You might want to reread the findings of

UNMOVIC, stating that

Quote:
the Commission has not at any time during the inspections in Iraq found evidence of the continuation or resumption of programmes of weapons of mass destruction or significant quantities of proscribed items - whether from pre-1991 or later.

So you have one country that openly admits to pursuing a nuke program and one country that for all we know doesn't have one. Which country do we invade? You might be kind enough to share your opinion on this issue with the rest of us.

North Korea:
The time to have invaded North Korea would have been sometime between when it was discovered that it had re-started its nuke program in violation of treaty, and the time that it became known or strongly suspected that it already had nuclear bombs. As I describe above, this seems to have been less than a year. Since I have said that negotiations ought to be tried before invasion, the failure to invade would not appear to be deriliction of duty by Bush.

Iraq:
We invaded Iraq because he had been known to have on past occasions attempted to conceal secret WMD programs and could not convincingly back up his claim to have destroyed the weapons. This was odd considering how easy it would have been to give pretty good proof, and how badly he wanted sanctions lifted. The totality of our experience with Iraq left serious doubt as to whether WMD and programs were merely being concealed again, and the stakes are so high that after 12 years of playing with him, we finally, correctly, went in to resolve our doubts.

old europe wrote:
But lets continue...

Brandon9000 wrote:

True. I agree. Deal with them. Some diplomatic efforts, maybe. Trick them into giving up their program. Get them to destroy their nukes. DON'T JUST IGNORE THEM. I honestly doubt the government is exactly doing that... I doubt the government pays a lot of attention to NK. I would rather say they downsize the problem and distract people by stating this:

Quote:
Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said the administration believed it had the diplomatic tools to try to force Syria to leave Lebanon but noted Bush never took options off the table --

code for not ruling out the possibility, however remote, of military action.

source

I would say that the administration is very aware and very frightened of the risk posed by the North Korean nuclear weapons and the Iranian attempt to obtain nuclear weapons. The situation is just as I have said. If someone of this type is in the process of trying to obtain them, negotiate if possible but invade if necessary. Once they possess them, it is too late to do much but whine for them to voluntarily disarm. This, however, is not the same as showing that we will jump every time NK says to. What we have to do is to somehow persuade them to disarm without appearing to be in utter capitulation to them. It is just the common sense of bargaining.

old europe wrote:
Another splendid idea of the Bush government, wouldn't you say? Oh, right, I forgot your statement: Invade them BEFORE they even have a CHANCE of obtaining nukes. Fight

another war. Bomb Iran. And Syria.

Brandon9000 wrote:

Honestly?

You are significantly misquoting my position.

1.1. What you say I said
"Invade them BEFORE they even have a CHANCE of obtaining nukes."
1.2. What I said
If a certain type of dictatorship previously described seems to have a serious WMD program, try to get them to disarm voluntarily, but if that doesn't work in a reasonable amount of time, then invade.

2.1. What you say I said
"Fight another war."
2.2 What I said
Yes, if necessary to prevent a WMD doomsday down the road.

3.1. What you say I said
"Bomb Iran."
3.2 What I said
Try to get them to stop voluntarily, but eventually, if necessary, invade before it's too late.

4.1 What you say I said
"Bomb ... Syria."
4.1 What I said
I most certainly never said this. As far as I know, Syria does not have a serious WMD program.
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 05:54 am
EDITED: This post originally consisted of me accusing Brandon of equivocating when he wasn't. I've removed those parts of it. Many apologies Brandon

It is apparent at this point that the so-dubbed WMDs do not exist. If the American military was unable to determine this at the time, then something is extremely wrong with the way they operate. Their resources should easily be sufficient to determine such information.

In such a case should the WMDs be the motivation for this war rather than counter-terrorism as was originally claimed, then the failure to note that these WMDs did not in fact exist speaks of either incompetence or a hidden agenda within the military and political circles.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 10:28 am
WMD's in Iraq are a lot like Schrodinger's kitty.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 11:24 am
Brandon,

again I have to agree on a lot of points you made. I am trying to sum up what you said:
Every time a bad and evil dictator tries to obtain WMD you should try to stop him. First by negotiations/diplomatic efforts. If that doesn't change anything, within a reasonable amount of time, then stop him by means of force.

I definitely don't want to misquote you. I am just trying to understand your position.

You seem to propagate Kant's categorical imperative: "Act only on that maxim whereby thou canst at the same time will that it should become a universal law."

I might be wrong, though. You might argue that the US is "better" than all the other nations in the world (higher moralic principles etc.) and therefore can set the rules by which to play and at the same time be the judge and the policeman, i.e. judge about other nations and enact the rules.

I am not sure which position you're on. Still, of you would claim that the same rules should be valid for all the nations around the globe, I'd like to ask you a few questions:

1. What authority can define what qualifies a dictator as "bad and evil"? And, furthermore, when is a head of state a dictator? Would Pervez Musharraf qualify as a dictator at all? When did the definition for Hussein change from "president" to "dictator"?

http://www2.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB82/handshake300.jpg

2. What possibility would Iraq have had to stop the invasion? When would it have had that chance? When, in March 2003, Hans Blix said that "the Commission has not at any time during the inspections in Iraq found evidence of the continuation or resumption of programmes of weapons of mass destruction or significant quantities of proscribed items - whether from pre-1991 or later" - was that too late? Was the invasion force already in place, so the actual invasion was inadvertable?

3. You say Iraq couldn't prove the non-existance of a WMD program. Do the words "in dubio pro reo" have any meaning to you? Because I am pretty sure that neither Syria nor Iran can prove the non-existance of a WMD program (or of their trying to obtain nuclear WMD). How can you prove non-existance at all? For example: how can you prove you didn't secretly plan to murder your neighbor? Shouldn't you be executed then (Florida having the death penalty, as far as I know...), subsequently? 'Preemptively' protecting your neighbor?

Essentially, as I said, I have to agree with you on many points. I don't want to see WMD spread around the globe. I don't want to see terrorist's attacks happening.
But I have to question the US's right to invade Iraq.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 11:37 am
theantibuddha wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
theantibuddha wrote:
A war could have been useful for reducing terrorism and altering global politics. Yet this one was handled badly and will not yield positive results.

A pity really.
You miss the point entirely. Since Hussein had been so misleading about his WMD and WMD programs for so long, and since he had not provided any real proof that he had disarmed despite the fact that he badly wanted sanctions removed, there was some real chance that he still had them. Had that been so, millions of lives could have been lost down the line. For this reason, the decision to invade was exactly correct.

Sorry to bring this back, I've been gone for a week or so and feel I should reply to a post directed to me.

Brandon. Your arguments are incoherent. First you claim it's against terrorism... Now it's against a foreign government possessing weaponry... These are two different things. I can not, nor do I ever wish to, argue against equivocation.

No, I did not ever claim that the invasion of Iraq was motivated by a desire to fight terrorism. Show me a post in which I said that. I have stated over and over that the reason it was necessary to invade Iraq was to resolve the WMD question. The only tie in with terrorism I have ever made for the war in Iraq is that a foreign government which had WMD and was friendly with terrorists might give WMD to terrorists, but the motivation for the invasion is purely a matter of WMD.

theantibuddha wrote:
I have addressed terrorism already. If you wish to debate my points on that topic you are welcome to do so. As it is I can only assume that you have changed the topic since you are now talking about something completely different. We can discuss WMDs if that is your wish though.

Fabrication on your part. I have always stated that the invasion was motivated by a need to resolve the WMD situation.

theantibuddha wrote:
It is apparent at this point that the so-dubbed WMDs do not exist. If the American military was unable to determine this at the time, then something is extremely wrong with the way they operate. Their resources should easily be sufficient to determine such information.

Why? Some things really are hard to determine, as, for example, what a secretive, duplicitous country might be hiding. Based on the totality of our history with Hussein, there was some chance that there were still WMD or WMD programs in hiding, and we could not chance leaving Hussein possessing or soon to possess sufficient WMD to do real harm, e.g. kill a hundred thousand Americans with a nuke or bioweapon.

theantibuddha wrote:
In such a case should the WMDs be the motivation for this war rather than counter-terrorism as was originally claimed, then the failure to note that these WMDs did not in fact exist speaks of either incompetence or a hidden agenda within the military and political circles.

It seems to me that the president stated clearly and often that the motive for invasion was WMD.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 12:03 pm
old europe wrote:
Brandon,

again I have to agree on a lot of points you made. I am trying to sum up what you said:

Every time a bad and evil dictator tries to obtain WMD you should try to stop him. First by negotiations/diplomatic efforts. If that doesn't change anything, within a reasonable amount of time, then stop him by means of force.

I definitely don't want to misquote you. I am just trying to understand your position.

You seem to propagate Kant's categorical imperative: "Act only on that maxim whereby thou canst at the same time will that it should become a universal law."

I might be wrong, though. You might argue that the US is "better" than all the other nations in the world (higher moralic principles etc.) and therefore can set the rules by which to play and at the same time be the judge and the policeman, i.e. judge about other nations and enact the rules.

I am not sure which position you're on. Still, of you would claim that the same rules should be valid for all the nations around the globe, I'd like to ask you a few questions:

1. What authority can define what qualifies a dictator as "bad and evil"? And, furthermore, when is a head of state a dictator? Would Pervez Musharraf qualify as a dictator at all? When did the definition for Hussein change from "president" to "dictator"?

http://www2.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB82/handshake300.jpg

I am saying that of all the entities that are seeking or will seek WMD, a few at one end of the danger spectrum must be stopped. Danger, in this case means an entity posing a grave risk to use the WMD, or use their known existence to force other countries to capitulate, e.g. if Hussein were to declare he had nukes, re-invade Kuwait, and say nukes would be used if anyone tried to stop the annexation. The bottom line is that someone like Hussein can not be left with weapons so powerful that one use of one can kill a hundred thousand or even a million people.

old europe wrote:
2. What possibility would Iraq have had to stop the invasion? When would it have had that chance? When, in March 2003, Hans Blix said that "the Commission has not at any time during the inspections in Iraq found evidence of the continuation or resumption of programmes of weapons of mass destruction or significant quantities of proscribed items - whether from pre-1991 or later" - was that too late? Was the invasion force already in place, so the actual invasion was inadvertable?

I am not sure I understand how this question relates to any of my statements. As for Blix's statement, I don't believe it was trustworthy. Hussein had hoodwinked the commission before. With so much at stake, we had to be sure. Hussein could not furnish real proof that he had destroyed his weapons and programs, which is odd, since someone who was determined to demonstrate compliance ought to have been able to give some pretty good proof, e.g. inviting UN representatives to witness their destruction, or even videotape it and recording the location of the remnants.

old europe wrote:
3. You say Iraq couldn't prove the non-existance of a WMD program. Do the words "in dubio pro reo" have any meaning to you? Because I am pretty sure that neither Syria nor Iran can prove the non-existance of a WMD program (or of their trying to obtain nuclear WMD). How can you prove non-existance at all? For example: how can you prove you didn't secretly plan to murder your neighbor? Shouldn't you be executed then (Florida having the death penalty, as far as I know...), subsequently? 'Preemptively' protecting your neighbor?

This is a bad analogy. If we were to invade Ecuador on the grounds that they might have a WMD program, that would be unreasonable. It is quite a different matter to invade a country that had been known to have WMD and programs, use WMD against civilians, lie about their WMD, lie to inspectors, prevent inspectors from looking in certain places, and had signed a treaty pledging to destroy these things as surrender terms in a previous war.

old europe wrote:
Essentially, as I said, I have to agree with you on many points. I don't want to see WMD spread around the globe. I don't want to see terrorist's attacks happening.
But I have to question the US's right to invade Iraq.

Had Hussein possessed or been on the verge of possessing nukes or serious bioweapons, he could have smuggled one or two into the US, killed a million people, and then claimed non-involvement. Self-preservation gave us the right. Even had he not used his WMD in such a spectacular way, he could have used knowledge of their existence to cow his neighbors into literally or effectively being annexed by him. Remember that this is someone who had once annexed Kuwait.
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 12:30 am
Quote:
No, I did not ever claim that the invasion of Iraq was motivated by a desire to fight terrorism.

You're right. Sorry.

My bad.

I think I had you confused with McGentrix's opening post. Sorry for any impugning of your honour.

Quote:
Fabrication on your part.

Unintentionally, but yes. Again, sorry.

Now, on to the meat.

Quote:
Why? Some things really are hard to determine, as, for example, what a secretive, duplicitous country might be hiding. Based on the totality of our history with Hussein, there was some chance that there were still WMD or WMD programs in hiding, and we could not chance leaving Hussein possessing or soon to possess sufficient WMD to do real harm, e.g. kill a hundred thousand Americans with a nuke or bioweapon.

Dude, what the hell is the CIA for. (Or is that the NSA, I'm not 100% on american governmental bodies). They get massive funding to be a spy agency, they find out this kind of thing. Nuclear weapons are not easy to make, they require ingredients and advanced technology, most of which is carefully monitored. It's not like a backyard Meth laboratory. If America was worried about it they would have had many many spies within Iraq who could have uncovered the actual information.

How, precisely, would Iraq launch an attack on America. They are in military parlance very very far away, (6211 miles according to one source). Do they have a capacity to launch a missile over that distance?

Why would Iraq ever ever ever attack america? If Iraq had 20 nukes (an impossibility but let's imagine), they could kill a few million americans. Yet america would turn around and be able to turn every square inch of iraq into charred radioactive soil without anyone in the world questioning it. Even hussein is not stupid enough to do that.

Quote:
It seems to me that the president stated clearly and often that the motive for invasion was WMD.

Clearly? Given his method of speech I would question that word. But yes, he did frequently say that.... later on. It is intriguing though that George Bush senior would have personally (through his investments) made a large profit from the war. I'm certain that never played a moments thought within his son's brain. It's also intriguing that a war would increase his chances of re-election. Would enable him to enact reinforms people would never consider during peace-time...

What surprises me is that a politician has said something, and you believe them. To me that seems particularly naive.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 01:13 am
theantibuddha wrote:
...Now, on to the meat.

Quote:

Dude, what the hell is the CIA for. (Or is that the NSA, I'm not 100% on american governmental bodies). They get massive funding to be a spy agency, they find out this kind of thing. Nuclear weapons are not easy to make, they require ingredients and advanced technology, most of which is carefully monitored. It's not like a backyard Meth laboratory. If America was worried about it they would have had many many spies within Iraq who could have uncovered the actual information.

It may be that the US intelligence service could have done better, but the mere fact that we put agents on the job doesn't mean that we will know about another country's secret military programs, particularly if that other country is an absolute dictatorship in which the ruler is not constrained by any legal framework, and the people involved in the secret are very scared to talk. I would also like to say that for all we know, the CIA might have been correct. The WMD and/or programs may simply have been disposed of in the weeks preceding invasion. We're really not that sure of our facts. In spying on a country like Iraq, the intelligence service has kind of a tough problem because of religious/cultural issues which take some work for an undercover agent to fake. US intelligence undoubtedly should have had more agents who spoke Arabic, but apparently the human intelligence side of the service had been deteriorating for quite a long time. I do not think that our lack of clarity about what was happening with the Iraqi weapons program reflects a level of incompetence under Bush that exceeds the degree of incompetence in past recent administrations. In any event, there was enough uncertainty about whether Hussein had given up on these awful weapons to make invasion necessary, particularly given how misleading he had been about them in the past.

theantibuddha wrote:
How, precisely, would Iraq launch an attack on America. They are in military parlance very very far away, (6211 miles according to one source). Do they have a capacity to launch a missile over that distance?

Smuggle the components of a bioweapon or nuke into the US, then assemble and detonate it from within. Better yet, just infect a volunteer with some monstrous plague and have him take a bus tour of the country, creating numerous separate plague epicenters.

theantibuddha wrote:
Why would Iraq ever ever ever attack america? If Iraq had 20 nukes (an impossibility but let's imagine), they could kill a few million americans. Yet america would turn around and be able to turn every square inch of iraq into charred radioactive soil without anyone in the world questioning it. Even hussein is not stupid enough to do that.

I believe that he could kill a few million Americans with much fewer than 20 nukes, even relatively small ones, especially if you figure in people who die of their wounds within, say, six months.

How are we going to retaliate if we don't know who did it? Hussein might have publicly abhored the attack on us and offered us assistance. Why would he attack us? Because we've stood in the way of his ambitions. He might have sold the WMD to terrorists who might have used them against us. Even if we somehow identified the terrorist group, they might not really have a return address to direct retaliation at.

theantibuddha wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Clearly? Given his method of speech I would question that word. But yes, he did frequently say that.... later on. It is intriguing though that George Bush senior would have personally (through his investments) made a large profit from the war. I'm certain that never played a moments thought within his son's brain. It's also intriguing that a war would increase his chances of re-election. Would enable him to enact reinforms people would never consider during peace-time...

The WMD question provided more than enough reason to invade.

theantibuddha wrote:
What surprises me is that a politician has said something, and you believe them. To me that seems particularly naive.

I believed this long before Bush ran for president.
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 02:20 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
The WMD and/or programs may simply have been disposed of in the weeks preceding invasion.

Why would they do that?

Quote:
We're really not that sure of our facts. In spying on a country like Iraq, the intelligence service has kind of a tough problem because of religious/cultural issues which take some work for an undercover agent to fake.

That is certainly true.

Quote:
US intelligence undoubtedly should have had more agents who spoke Arabic, but apparently the human intelligence side of the service had been deteriorating for quite a long time.

Given the circumstances I think that needs to be fixed.

Quote:
I do not think that our lack of clarity about what was happening with the Iraqi weapons program reflects a level of incompetence under Bush that exceeds the degree of incompetence in past recent administrations.

Nor do I. I'm not pointing a finger of blame here saying "George Bush is evil and secretly cavorts with Satan and Hitler" (and there are plenty who do). I'm saying that intelligence would have been a better alternative to war and that while that may have been realised I think a secret agenda is behind the choice to go to war rather than investigate more thoroughly.

Quote:
theantibuddha wrote:
How, precisely, would Iraq launch an attack on America.

Smuggle the components of a bioweapon or nuke into the US, then assemble and detonate it from within.

If you're worried about that just put a gigacounter in every customs dept. It's about a million times cheaper than invading iraq.

Quote:
Better yet, just infect a volunteer with some monstrous plague and have him take a bus tour of the country, creating numerous separate plague epicenters.

I don't think they have access to the components required for that kind of bioplague. BL4 plagues have been quite throughly contained within a few research centres.

Quote:
I believe that he could kill a few million Americans with much fewer than 20 nukes, even relatively small ones, especially if you figure in people who die of their wounds within, say, six months.

The point was he couldn't actually destroy america's military capacity for retalliation. But you are correct.

Quote:
How are we going to retaliate if we don't know who did it?

Such an attack would be useless and pointless. It would not aid Iraq in any fashion.

Quote:
Why would he attack us? Because we've stood in the way of his ambitions.

And what would the attack achieve for him? Beyond being emotionally satisfying. He is not going to waste his time getting nukes if it's not going to further his ambitions.

Quote:
He might have sold the WMD to terrorists who might have used them against us. Even if we somehow identified the terrorist group, they might not really have a return address to direct retaliation at.

I think he'd probably be too paranoid for that, but it is a minor possibility. I just don't think it's a "bankrupt the country to fight a war over" worth possibility.

Quote:

Glad to hear I misjudged you. So not naive, but perhaps a touch overly paranoid if you've been worrying about this kind of thing for the last 5 years or so.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 02:57 am
theantibuddha wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
The WMD and/or programs may simply have been disposed of in the weeks preceding invasion.

Why would they do that?

Because it really began to look like we were coming in. I'm not saying this did happen. It's just a scenario that could have happened.

theantibuddha wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
We're really not that sure of our facts. In spying on a country like Iraq, the intelligence service has kind of a tough problem because of religious/cultural issues which take some work for an undercover agent to fake.

That is certainly true.

Quote:
US intelligence undoubtedly should have had more agents who spoke Arabic, but apparently the human intelligence side of the service had been deteriorating for quite a long time.

Given the circumstances I think that needs to be fixed.

brandon9000 wrote:
I do not think that our lack of clarity about what was happening with the Iraqi weapons program reflects a level of incompetence under Bush that exceeds the degree of incompetence in past recent administrations.

Nor do I. I'm not pointing a finger of blame here saying "George Bush is evil and secretly cavorts with Satan and Hitler" (and there are plenty who do). I'm saying that intelligence would have been a better alternative to war and that while that may have been realised I think a secret agenda is behind the choice to go to war rather than investigate more thoroughly.

Quote:
theantibuddha wrote:
How, precisely, would Iraq launch an attack on America.

Smuggle the components of a bioweapon or nuke into the US, then assemble and detonate it from within.

If you're worried about that just put a gigacounter in every customs dept. It's about a million times cheaper than invading iraq.

Less than 2% of our ports are inspected at all, and fewer than that with radiation detectors. In a recent test, a news organization smuggled radioactive material through one of the ports that does have both and successfully drove it to a major city. Do you know how many points of entry there are into the US? Anyway, such detectors would not work for a bioweapon as far as I know. Basically, the bad guys can smuggle WMD in if they want to. Their problem is not whether they can get them in - they can. Their problem is developing or buying them to begin with.

theantibuddha wrote:
Quote:
Better yet, just infect a volunteer with some monstrous plague and have him take a bus tour of the country, creating numerous separate plague epicenters.

I don't think they have access to the components required for that kind of bioplague. BL4 plagues have been quite throughly contained within a few research centres.

If malicious rulers want to obtain plagues, sooner or later they will. If necessary they can go to where the plagues are out in the population. Look at how much damage someone did with a little anthrax and some stamps. We still don't know who was responsible. Think of how much more could be done with a hemorrhagic fever. Don't forget that the science will continue to advance.

theantibuddha wrote:
Quote:

The point was he couldn't actually destroy america's military capacity for retalliation. But you are correct.

I am not sure that he couldn't weaken it severely. What would be the ripple effect from a million people killed, some of whom might be rotting in the streets? It would siphon off people to aid the wounded, depopulate businesses, disrupt supply lines. Just try to get a doctor after a million people are killed and another couple of million wounded. I believe that a calamity of that scale would spread out like the branches on a tree and prove to be a crippling blow.

theantibuddha wrote:
Quote:
How are we going to retaliate if we don't know who did it?

Such an attack would be useless and pointless. It would not aid Iraq in any fashion.

Quote:
Why would he attack us? Because we've stood in the way of his ambitions.

And what would the attack achieve for him? Beyond being emotionally satisfying. He is not going to waste his time getting nukes if it's not going to further his ambitions.

It would cripple one of his worst foes and drain away their resources.

theantibuddha wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
He might have sold the WMD to terrorists who might have used them against us. Even if we somehow identified the terrorist group, they might not really have a return address to direct retaliation at.

I think he'd probably be too paranoid for that, but it is a minor possibility. I just don't think it's a "bankrupt the country to fight a war over" worth possibility.

Anything that can leave a million Americans dead in the streets and another couple of million in need of medical care is fairly serious.

Brandon9000 wrote:

theantibuddha wrote:
Glad to hear I misjudged you. So not naive, but perhaps a touch overly paranoid if you've been worrying about this kind of thing for the last 5 years or so.

A lot longer, but that's a whole other story that I actually covered in a post here once.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 05:27 am
Brandon,

you are right. I think it's definitely possible to either smuggle components for a weapon into the US (or any western country), or obtain them and assemble one within the States - like McVeigh and very probably the anthrax attacks have proven. (I don't want to make a point here. Because you're probably going to argue "But the anthrax came from Iraq" or something. Honestly, I don't care were it came from.)

So, given the 98% chance I would have as a Dr. Evil to smuggle a nuke into the States (and this doesn't seem to change within a 'reasonable' amount of time) - wouldn't it be smarter if the States just wouldn't PISS THE REST OF THE WORLD OFF?

Brandon - why do you think anybody would call the US the 'big Satan'? What possible reasons could he have for that? And why do so many people around the globe hate the US?

I'm not talking about some dictator madmen. Just take a week off, travel to El Salvador (or Nicaragua or Panama or Chile or Bolivia or Columbia, you have it) and talk to people in the streets.

Imagine if the US had instead spent the very same 150,000,000,000 US$ on, uhhh... fighting hunger in the world. Announce a 'war on hunger' (as this seems to be term a lot of Americans obviously can identify with). 'Kill' hunger in the world within 4 years. Nobody will starve to death.

Do you think the States would become a target because they were LOVED too much? I don't think so.

Brandon, you are a cold warrior. You are talking about preemptive strikes and wars and invasions, and about retaliation. As if this was about fighting other countries. It is not. Terror networks don't have a territory to loose, they don't fight a war, you can't invade them, and once they have been successful you can't retaliate, because they are already dead.

(Funny footnote: I read that in medieval times people were actually condemned to a double death row... They were hanged, and afterwards quartered or drawn. Because if you didn't arrive at St. Peter's Gates with your body in one piece, he wouldn't let you in and you would die a second time....)
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 05:52 am
Looking in

And, Saddam, when he realised US was actually going to invade, capitulated on all points.

No good, to no avail, he got invaded anyway.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 06:00 am
That's what I was trying to point out earlier! Brandon somehow didn't catch it....
0 Replies