Calling All Democrats

ehBeth

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 03:36 pm
You really want me doing more of your homework, McG?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 03:46 pm
If you don't mind.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 03:47 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Perhaps the UN will decide to step in and...grk...hmmmkkh...heh....hehhe......HAHAHAHA!!!!!

People seem to forget that the U.S. are part of the United Nations, hm? I think many nations are thinking along those lines. They truly consider themselves PART OF the UN.
However, some people in the U.S. seem to have kept their cold war ideology of "we" and "them". This is what a lot of people can't understand. Even in these times there seems to exist no effort to work together with ANYBODY.
Not even with an organisation that one is part of. What would happen if, say, Kentucky considered itself not bound by national law?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 03:52 pm
Yes we are part of the UN. So? It has proven itself repeatedly to be a useless organization. Were it not for the US, it would have failed long ago.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 04:01 pm
How would you like to define democracy, McG?

Elections seem like a good place to start.

Pakistan, Turkey, Indonesia, Bangladesh. More available if you'd like to look them up.

Quote:
The Numbers:

Voters in 2004 Indonesian Presidential election: c. 120 million

What They Mean:

Indonesia ranks fourth in the world for population, with 220 million people spread across 13,000 islands. (Roughly speaking, this is about the same as the combined population of the Arab countries.)

<snip>

It is also the world's largest majority-Muslim nation and largest new democracy -- Monday's presidential election brought a reported 120 million voters to the polls, well over America's all-time record of 105 million voters --

link

Giving you more help with your homework will get me in trouble in homeroom, so you can do the rest.

<not suggesting any of them is a 'perfect' form of democracy, but I suspect we'd never agree on that definition>
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 04:04 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Yes we are part of the UN. So? It has proven itself repeatedly to be a useless organization. Were it not for the US, it would have failed long ago.

Sure it is a useless organization... It claimed there were not WMD in Iraq, for example.... How useless an organization it is indeed! Why should anybody pay money and get nothing back??

Has it occured to you that the way the UN was trying to solve the Iraq issue might have saved the U.S. $100 billion dollars, not to mention the lives, of, uh - let me check - 1,469 soldiers?

Probably not......
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 04:32 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Lash wrote:
Terrorism breeds in poverty, antiquity, ignorance and fear.

Modernity goes hand in hand with democracy.

I'd always learned that democracy was an ancient concept. About 30 years ago in high school, we were taught that democracy was a staple of Islam before it appeared in much of Western Europe.

This fella seems to have learned the same things

Quote:
Abdallah, founder and director of the Muslim Electorates' Council of America and editor for the Minaret Monthly and Muslim Observer Weekly, then defined democracy by providing those in attendance with various examples of democratic practices in the Islamic religion.

These examples included the Constitution of Medina, the 57th clause in the Koran, which was a religious edict enacted after the verification of tribes of multiple religions including the people of Medina, Mecca, the Jews and pagans in a joint effort to ensure justice among the people.

Abdallah briefly illustrated democracy through another example: a document written to Egypt from the 4th caliph, Ali, which expressed the necessity of human rights including the right to live, the right to think, the right to personal religious practices, the right to labor, the right to family, and the right of the people to select the commander in chief, and head of state.

Abdallah's lecture demonstrates Islam and democracy as Abdallah stated that the claim of Islam was to teach, practice and follow these democratic-type systems.

However these practices became overshadowed as a result of an increase of either Militaristic or Political leadership.
link

Democracy is in trouble in many places, but I think that considering it as a modern construct is dangerously myopic. There is a good solid history for democracy in Islam. May not be the type/style of democracy 'we' want, but it's there.

Interesting points, Parados.

(if anyone's interested in other interesting forms of early democracy, I've found this site interesting <I'm going to link to the page on India and Buddhism> link )

ehBeth--

Most of the time, your comments are supportable.

Not this time.

If you start with a dictatorship--where the people are oppressed and living in fear of some Taliban guy or some mullah fingering them for a beating, or murder because of some religious infraction--and your dictator or Ayatollah blocks news from all sources but government controlled propaganda---I don't think you really want to be on the side of those who say that is as free as democracy.

There is NOT freedom in these places. If you think there is, we have entirely different opinions on the realities of freedom. Real freedom.

The ones you cite aren't classical, FREE democracies--or are newly born. Pakistan was a COUP! I think you are on very weak ground here--and find myself wondering why you choose to stake out this odd position.

I don't think you understood how democracy was equated with modernity in preceding posts. I don't think anyone here doesn't know about the genesis of democracy... But, comparing the realities of daily life under your average Islamic government--or your average ME country---with a voting democracy--- You must see how their ancient way of life feeds on superstition, fear, ignorance..and how freedom, democracy, new news sources, the ability to read new material, the ability to travel--TO BE EDUCATED-- ushers in modernity. The clampdowns enforced by the religious leaders are in place to keep the people down.

Democracy will rip those clamps off--and the enlightenment and Reformation Islam desperately needs will flower.

Be for the Flower.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 05:03 pm
old europe wrote:
Has it occured to you that the way the UN was trying to solve the Iraq issue might have saved the U.S. $100 billion dollars, not to mention the lives, of, uh - let me check - 1,469 soldiers?

Probably not......

What has occurred to me that the way the UN was trying to solve the Iraq issue fell in line with it getting its pockets lined through the OFF program, which BTW, did little to sanction Saddam. That corrupt program was hurting more than helping. It is possible that absent the corruption of the UN, the sanctions might have worked, and we would not have needed to invade. That has occurred to me. Has that occurred to you?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 05:07 pm
old europe wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Sure it is a useless organization... It claimed there were not WMD in Iraq, for example.... How useless an organization it is indeed! Why should anybody pay money and get nothing back??

Probably not......

Care to share where the UN claimed there were no WMD's in Iraq...

The UN sanctions had obviously failed. US/UK soldiers were risking their lives enforcing the sanctions and no-fly zones. The Oil-for-fraud scandal was in full swing.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 05:14 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Care to share where the UN claimed there were no WMD's in Iraq...

Does the name Hans Blix ring a bell? What does Executive Chairman,
UN Monitoring, Verification and Inspection Commission (UNMOVIC) mean to you? Don't you remember anything he said?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 05:18 pm
Quote:
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 05:54 pm
old europe wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
You miss the point entirely. Since Hussein had been so misleading about his WMD and WMD programs for so long, and since he had not provided any real proof that he had disarmed despite the fact that he badly wanted sanctions removed, there was some real chance that he still had them. Had that been so, millions of lives could have been lost down the line. For this reason, the decision to invade was exactly correct.

So North Korea resumed its WMD program. It claims to have WMD. Millions of lives could be lost down the line. For this reason, what would you do?

This is so elementary, it's almost sickening that I have to plod through it, but here is your answer. I would negotiate and impotently beg them to be nice. Maybe use an economic carrot and stick. It's too late with North Korea. They have the bomb. If we invaded they could either destroy the south or use nuclear weapons on our troops. We missed the bus on this one. We invaded Iraq to prevent Hussein from achieving this level of near invulnerability.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 05:57 pm
old europe wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
old europe wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
You miss the point entirely. Since Hussein had been so misleading about his WMD and WMD programs for so long, and since he had not provided any real proof that he had disarmed despite the fact that he badly wanted sanctions removed, there was some real chance that he still had them. Had that been so, millions of lives could have been lost down the line. For this reason, the decision to invade was exactly correct.

So North Korea resumed its WMD program. It claims to have WMD. Millions of lives could be lost down the line. For this reason, what would you do?

Let me guess ... "NOT have invaded Iraq"? Rolling Eyes

What would you do?

...I just wonder why people seem to be quite eager e.g. to bomb Iran (invasion seems to out of the question, I guess), but nobody seems to care about regimes that DO not only not disarm, but openly proclaim their intentions on becoming nuclear powers.
As far as I know there are hundreds of thousands of North Koreans in gulags or 'work camps'.... So if Kim isn't an evil tyrant, what is he then? On the other hand, being an evil tyrant AND having WMDs, how should we deal with him?

The reason that it was a good idea to invade Iraq was because of questions about WMD, not to free his hideously opressed people. That was a fringe benefit. We can't invade North Korea. They are nuclear. All we can do is whine for NK to please play nice.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 06:34 pm
parados wrote:
When you guys can name ONE crime that Saddam committed in the last 5 years or one person he gassed in that time frame. Then perhaps you can attack my analogy.

Frankly, your five year limit is completely artificial. The point is that Saddam Hussein is a known murderer and torturer of millions. However, there is no shortage of recent atrocities:

Quote:
Saddam Hussein's regime has carried out frequent summary executions, including...At least 130 Iraqi women were beheaded between June 2000 and April 2001./quote]

Source: http://www.state.gov/p/nea/rls/19675.htm

parados wrote:
But to claim that he has a weapon that can kill 100,000 people with one shot shows how far out of touch with reality you really are.

I didn't. Why am I not surprised that your argument is based on misrepresenting my opinions? I claimed that there was uncertainty that he had abandoned such weapons.

parados wrote:
The fact of the matter is that there was no evidence of Saddam using a weapon that was banned after they were banned.

But there is considerable evidence of Iraq lying to and misleading inspectors for years, and there was considerable uncertainty that he had destroyed his WMD and WMD programs, which is odd, since it would have been easy to prove he had destroyed them and he wanted sanctions lifted.

parados wrote:
Gee let me rephrase my analogy. I know my neighbor had a machine gun before machine guns were illegal but he never proved to me he got rid of it after it was illegal for him to have it. Ergo.. I can KILL him.

Bad analogy again. The proper analogy is that my neighbor is a known mass murderer and had machine guns at one time that were of a special type that could kill tens of thousands with the firing of a single bullet. He was working on improved machine guns which could kill hundreds of thousands with one bullet. He claims he has given them up, but has no proof, and is, by the way, a well known liar. Negotiation has produced no conclusive evidence of his compliance. Ergo...I can inspect his house whether he likes it or not.

parados wrote:
Funny how when I put it in those terms it makes Bush's attack of Iraq sound silly. But you don't dare admit that it WAS because you would have to admit you backed the wrong horse.

It sounds silly only because of your bad analogies. The horse I back is my own mind's assessment of the situation.

parados wrote:
Gee.. then when my neighbor offers to let me search his house. I should stop searching halfway through the search because he denies he still has the machine gun. Even though the ongoing search has revealed nothing I should still kill him.

We played cat and mouse with Iraq regarding inspections for years. The Iraqis were caught in numerous lies and often prevented inspectors from touring certain facilities until they could be sanitized. On more than one occasion, Iraqi officials forcibly prvented UNSCOM pilots from flying over certain sites. We played with Hussein for long enough. We didn't want to give him an infinite amount of time to perfect his weapons while he dragged out inspections.

parados wrote:
Then after I kill him I can claim I only wanted to release his family from his tyranny and it was never about the machine gun to begin with. Or maybe I can claim that my neighbor embezzeled some money and that was the reason. Or whatever other excuse you want to come up with this week for why we went into Iraq.

Dang, I didn't realize lying was a reason to overthrow a govt. When do we start the revolution here?

Are you claiming that the Iraqis weren't actually living in tyranny??? We went into Iraq to insure that he had no WMD or WMD programs. We did not go into Iraq to free his hideously oppressed people. That's just something that it was nice to be able to do while there.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 06:35 pm
parados wrote:
When you guys can name ONE crime that Saddam committed in the last 5 years or one person he gassed in that time frame. Then perhaps you can attack my analogy.

Frankly, your five year limit is completely artificial. The point is that Saddam Hussein is a known murderer and torturer of millions. However, there is no shortage of recent atrocities:

Quote:
Saddam Hussein's regime has carried out frequent summary executions, including...At least 130 Iraqi women were beheaded between June 2000 and April 2001.

Source: http://www.state.gov/p/nea/rls/19675.htm

parados wrote:
But to claim that he has a weapon that can kill 100,000 people with one shot shows how far out of touch with reality you really are.

I didn't. Why am I not surprised that your argument is based on misrepresenting my opinions? I claimed that there was uncertainty that he had abandoned such weapons.

parados wrote:
The fact of the matter is that there was no evidence of Saddam using a weapon that was banned after they were banned.

But there is considerable evidence of Iraq lying to and misleading inspectors for years, and there was considerable uncertainty that he had destroyed his WMD and WMD programs, which is odd, since it would have been easy to prove he had destroyed them and he wanted sanctions lifted.

parados wrote:
Gee let me rephrase my analogy. I know my neighbor had a machine gun before machine guns were illegal but he never proved to me he got rid of it after it was illegal for him to have it. Ergo.. I can KILL him.

Bad analogy again. The proper analogy is that my neighbor is a known mass murderer and had machine guns at one time that were of a special type that could kill tens of thousands with the firing of a single bullet. He was working on improved machine guns which could kill hundreds of thousands with one bullet. He claims he has given them up, but has no proof, and is, by the way, a well known liar. Negotiation has produced no conclusive evidence of his compliance. Ergo...I can inspect his house whether he likes it or not.

parados wrote:
Funny how when I put it in those terms it makes Bush's attack of Iraq sound silly. But you don't dare admit that it WAS because you would have to admit you backed the wrong horse.

It sounds silly only because of your bad analogies. The horse I back is my own mind's assessment of the situation.

parados wrote:
Gee.. then when my neighbor offers to let me search his house. I should stop searching halfway through the search because he denies he still has the machine gun. Even though the ongoing search has revealed nothing I should still kill him.

We played cat and mouse with Iraq regarding inspections for years. The Iraqis were caught in numerous lies and often prevented inspectors from touring certain facilities until they could be sanitized. On more than one occasion, Iraqi officials forcibly prvented UNSCOM pilots from flying over certain sites. We played with Hussein for long enough. We didn't want to give him an infinite amount of time to perfect his weapons while he dragged out inspections.

parados wrote:
Then after I kill him I can claim I only wanted to release his family from his tyranny and it was never about the machine gun to begin with. Or maybe I can claim that my neighbor embezzeled some money and that was the reason. Or whatever other excuse you want to come up with this week for why we went into Iraq.

Dang, I didn't realize lying was a reason to overthrow a govt. When do we start the revolution here?

Are you claiming that the Iraqis weren't actually living in tyranny??? We went into Iraq to insure that he had no WMD or WMD programs. We did not go into Iraq to free his hideously oppressed people. That's just something that it was nice to be able to do while there.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 06:48 pm
old europe wrote:
Quote:

Date and link?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 07:17 pm
Ticomaya wrote:

What has occurred to me that the way the UN was trying to solve the Iraq issue fell in line with it getting its pockets lined through the OFF program, which BTW, did little to sanction Saddam. That corrupt program was hurting more than helping. It is possible that absent the corruption of the UN, the sanctions might have worked, and we would not have needed to invade. That has occurred to me. Has that occurred to you?

But, Ticomaya, I wasn't really talking about the SANCTIONS and the regrettable circumstances around the OFF program. I agree the program was hurting more than helping (
Quote:
estimates, recently published in the Chicago Tribune, that 500,000 Iraqi children have died since the end of the Persian Gulf war as a result of the US-led sanctions.
)

Nevertheless - I was talking about the vaporware called WMD. I wonder how you can't feel betrayed by a government that went to war, claiming that Saddam would have a nuclear bomb ready within 9 months, well knowing that those claims were, at the best, pure speculations!

And again: The U.S. ARE PART OF THE UN!! And an important part, I would think! So if there was at least a chance that the sanctions might have worked - why not try to fix the corrupted program?

I mean, come on - you basically say: yes, we went to war, even though the sanctions might have worked, and even though intelligence saying there are not WMD was available, but it was definitely worth it, because the OFF program was corrupt.

I sincerely hope I misunderstood your statement!
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 07:27 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
old europe wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

This is so elementary, it's almost sickening that I have to plod through it, but here is your answer. I would negotiate and impotently beg them to be nice. Maybe use an economic carrot and stick. It's too late with North Korea. They have the bomb. If we invaded they could either destroy the south or use nuclear weapons on our troops. We missed the bus on this one. We invaded Iraq to prevent Hussein from achieving this level of near invulnerability.

This is so elementary, it's almost sickening - I have to agree! And I have to agree on how to deal with NK. But maybe you remember this:

16 October 2002: The US announces that North Korea admitted in their talks to a secret nuclear arms programme.
Quote:

source

So you say Iray was invaded to prevent Hussein from achieving this level. But then I would ask: What has been done concerning North Korea? A country that admis to a secret nuke program?
AND, at the same time, Iraq has been invaded, even though there was at least a lot of doubt about WMDs?
Can't you see the least bit of incongruency?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 07:32 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
The reason that it was a good idea to invade Iraq was because of questions about WMD, not to free his hideously opressed people. That was a fringe benefit. We can't invade North Korea. They are nuclear. All we can do is whine for NK to please play nice.

This is so funny, but soooo sad at the same time!! Please clarify:

Quote:
The reason that it was a good idea to invade Iraq was because of questions about WMD

So whenever there is a question about WMD you'd say: INVADE. No, wait, you would say it is a GOOD IDEA to INVADE,

Whereas
Quote:
We can't invade North Korea. They are nuclear.

In other words: once a country has reached the level of nuclearness, you have to respect them and treat them like decent guys.

Isn't this world a weird place?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 07:34 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Date and link?

Sorry... the source
0 Replies