Mias

Reply Sun 17 May, 2020 02:56 am
@George,
How about "Dilige te primum"?
0 Replies

Mias

Reply Sun 17 May, 2020 08:11 am
@George,
Or "Te primum dilige"? This version puts more emphasis on "yourself" right?
George

Reply Mon 18 May, 2020 01:47 pm
@Mias,
Right.
0 Replies

Night Watchman

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2021 03:49 pm
Hi all. First off , I'm not a Latin translation expert; I'm a screenplay writer with a masters in professional writing. I'm ghost writing a new project, so obviously I can't use my name, but I want to use something that ties into the story line. In voice over closing narration the name of the main character is revealed to the reader as: He who walks with man.

Like I said, I don't know Latin. I just thought it would be the most logical language to use for theatrical impact. A Latin translation of it as the ghost writer's signature on the title page would be far better hook for curious minds who "just have to know" than any silly name that I could ever cook up - but it has to be a direct word-for-word translation or it won't work. Hear lies the problem...

I'm sure I don't have to tell anybody reading this post: it ain't that simple. Depending on which word or word order, variation of the word, whether it's masculine or general, past, present or future, or used as a modifier (like an adjective), could change the whole meaning of what you want to say.

Case in point. I've been trying to use one of those goofy on-line translators and this is what I get for: He who walks with man.

qui cum homine translates to: with man

pronoun for "who" (qui, quis, quisnam) preposition for "with" (cum, per, qum) and "homine" for man (masculine singular)

Okay, not a bad start. Lets add to it: Ille

translates to: He, pronoun (masculine singular), (hic, is, ille, inle, olle).

We're cooking. Lets add to it: quis

translates to: who, pronoun (singular, first person?) (qui, quis, quisnam)

Lets add to it:ambulo

translates to: I walk, Verb (singular, first person? what do I do with the "I"?) (ambulo, ingredior, spatior, gradior, obambulo, incedo)

That should do it, but this is how it comes out:

ille quis ambulo qui cum homine or (he was a man whom I have walked with the man who)

What am I doing wrong? Is there a direct translation?
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2021 07:33 am
When the subject is a pronoun, it is often left understood, but if you want to
be sure the reader knows the gender, you can use is.

The verb should be present, active, singular, third person, plural: ambulat.

The preposition cum (with) takes the ablative case, so cum homine.

Is qui cum homine ambulat
or simply
Qui cum homine ambulat
Night Watchman

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2021 02:29 pm
@George,
Thanks for getting back to me, George.

Using an online translator like, Google Translate and others like it, is a pretty stupid and insulting way to try and gauge the accuracy of a seasoned professional in translating English into Latin: but that's exactly what the average person is going to do (even people who should know better.)

When I put: Qui cum homine ambulat. I get: He walks with a man.

That almost nails it. If we could just squeeze in a "who" and get rid of the "a" that would put it right on the nose.

When adding the pronoun "Is" to it . I get: Is that when the person walks. If we add a variation of the word as a modifier it's most likely going to take us further out into the weeds.

If it can't be written in the form of a direct word-for-word translation, and I not really sure if it can be, its not going to be something the average person is going to bother to connect with, and that's too bad. It says something about the current state of American culture. I thought about using one of the Native American languages that code talkers used in W.W.W. II (like Navajo); but that would most likely make the reader even less interested in putting in the effort. No, it has to be Latin or nothing.

0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2021 10:41 am
Qui -> Who
cum -> with
homine -> man
ambulat -> walks

The normal Latin word order puts the verb last.
0 Replies

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2021 01:21 am
Hi. May I ask what is the Latin translation for "eternal darkness"? Google says "tenebris aeternam" while Yandex says "aeterna tenebrae", but what would be the most suitable to use as a nickname? Thanks.
George

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2021 11:30 am
@AvatarTheDark,
Tenebrae Aeternae
Word endings can be confusing in Latin.
These would be the endings for the nominative (or subjective) case.

Heckuva nickname, by the way!

0 Replies

PrancingPrawn

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2021 06:06 pm
Hey there! My Latin is a bit rusty, and a friend asked me for the translation for

'be better!'

I would say it's

'es melior'

with 'es' being imperative, but I would like to make sure before he gets it tattooed on his poor skin forever. Thanks!
George

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2021 09:47 am
@PrancingPrawn,
Es is indicative. You want esto.
0 Replies