Where in Cali is the safest place to live in a car?

Sun 6 Feb, 2005 02:17 am
I'm not saying I am or plan to do this, I'm going to move to and get a job in cali, but I'm always thinking what if I lose it and end up on hard times and end up only being able to afford to live and sleep in a car, you never know. I was wondering...........

What cities in Cali do you think it would be safest to do this?

And what cities in Cali would I most likely get car-jacked, mugged or harrassed?

These are very important questions, your answers will be greatly appreciated since it could dictate whether I'm safe or not in the future, thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 10,910 • Replies: 30
Topic Closed
No top replies

Persephone

Sun 6 Feb, 2005 08:05 am
Re: Where in Cali is the safest place to live in a car?
chris56789 wrote:

And what cities in Cali would I most likely get car-jacked, mugged or harrassed?

There are actually MANY safe places in California. Northern Cali is quite 'country-like' and simple. Southern Cali has many areas that are safe as well; it would be certain areas in higher-populated, industrialized cities you'd want to watch out for.

I'll put it this way... you certainly would not want to live in a car in South Central L.A., which is known for gangs, muggings, and harrassment. I'd say Hollywood would not be the greatest of choices either, simply because you'd probably not get a quiet-night's sleep. Shocked

Not that you're planning to do this, as you say, but if yoou were... I'd check out some of the campgrounds, especially those by the beach.

Cool
0 Replies

chris56789

Mon 7 Feb, 2005 03:51 am
Persephone wrote:
chris56789 wrote:

There are actually MANY safe places in California. Northern Cali is quite 'country-like' and simple. Southern Cali has many areas that are safe as well; it would be certain areas in higher-populated, industrialized cities you'd want to watch out for.

I'll put it this way... you certainly would not want to live in a car in South Central L.A., which is known for gangs, muggings, and harrassment. I'd say Hollywood would not be the greatest of choices either, simply because you'd probably not get a quiet-night's sleep. Shocked

Not that you're planning to do this, as you say, but if yoou were... I'd check out some of the campgrounds, especially those by the beach.

Cool

Could you give me advice on what cities I should live in that has lots of jobs and campgrounds just in case I hit hard times and have to live in my car in Cali? Or anywhere in northern cali is good?
0 Replies

Persephone

Mon 7 Feb, 2005 12:21 pm
chris56789 wrote:
Could you give me advice on what cities I should live in that has lots of jobs and campgrounds just in case I hit hard times and have to live in my car in Cali? Or anywhere in northern cali is good?

LOL. Well hey, if that ever happens, whip out your laptop and write back... I'll be happy to direct you where to head and park your car for overnight stays.

Cool
0 Replies

cjhsa

Mon 7 Feb, 2005 12:22 pm
They pay you to be homeless in San Francisco.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Mon 7 Feb, 2005 01:08 pm
What is this place called Cali?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Mon 7 Feb, 2005 01:25 pm
I think it's in Colombia, no?
0 Replies

Persephone

Mon 7 Feb, 2005 01:55 pm
cjhsa wrote:
They pay you to be homeless in San Francisco.

I had no idea... I'm moving up north. Shocked
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Mon 7 Feb, 2005 01:57 pm
I suggest consulting another source before making that move, Persephone. cjhsa is apt to, ahem, exaggerate a bit sometimes to make his points...
0 Replies

cjhsa

Mon 7 Feb, 2005 01:59 pm
Actually, it's true. Mayor Newsom is implementing the "care, not cash" program and trying to get rid of the monthly stipend the city gives to the homeless.
0 Replies

Persephone

Mon 7 Feb, 2005 02:07 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
I suggest consulting another source before making that move, Persephone. cjhsa is apt to, ahem, exaggerate a bit sometimes to make his points...

Thanks... I'm actually rather happy here in Southern 'Cali' anyway, living near beaches, having a job, and not living out of my car...

... yet. Shocked
0 Replies

ossobuco

Mon 7 Feb, 2005 02:08 pm
I thought Colombia, too, D'art. Apparently some people call California 'Cali' - not a word I've heard here, but maybe I've not talked to the right folks. It reminds me of people calling San Francisco 'Frisco' - a term famously despised for decades by San Franciscans.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Mon 7 Feb, 2005 02:12 pm
Persephone, I used to live in Venice. My exhusband is involved with Torrance Cultural Arts Center..
0 Replies

Persephone

Mon 7 Feb, 2005 02:26 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Persephone, I used to live in Venice. My exhusband is involved with Torrance Cultural Arts Center..

He doesn't teach dance class, does he? I am currently taking dance class at the Torrance Cultural Arts Center. Actually, my instructor is not male...

Venice Beach... what an eclectic and colourful area! Feels like a completely different world when compared to Torrance... and it's only about 15 miles away.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Mon 7 Feb, 2005 02:27 pm
I live in "Cali" and don't mind it called that, though I despise the term "Frisco", I mean, why make it sound gayer than it already is?

One thing I truly hate is the LAization of northern California, particularly in the media. We now regularly hear traffic reports about "The 101" or "The 880". Comon, it's 101, it's 880. There's no "the" about it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Mon 7 Feb, 2005 02:28 pm
No, he's the one who arranges the summer entertainment called Wild Wednesdays in the plaza and helps with the theater offerings.

Venice is a whole world of its own... I loved it.
0 Replies

Persephone

Mon 7 Feb, 2005 02:44 pm
cjhsa wrote:
I live in "Cali" and don't mind it called that, though I despise the term "Frisco", I mean, why make it sound gayer than it already is?

One thing I truly hate is the LAization of northern California, particularly in the media. We now regularly hear traffic reports about "The 101" or "The 880". Comon, it's 101, it's 880. There's no "the" about it.

I certainly despise the nickname 'Frisco' as well - they THINK it sounds cool, but in essence, it sounds lazy, IMHO.

I live quite nearby 'the 101' and 'the 405'... not to irritate you, but it's what we call our freeways. Smile

ossobuco wrote:
No, he's the one who arranges the summer entertainment called Wild Wednesdays in the plaza and helps with the theater offerings.

Venice is a whole world of its own... I loved it.

Wild Wednesdays!? I must be missing out. Though, any day of the week is wild in Venice. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

cjhsa

Mon 7 Feb, 2005 02:47 pm
Next time I'm in "the Torrence" I'll give you a call.
0 Replies

husker

Mon 7 Feb, 2005 02:50 pm
Quote:
I live quite nearby 'the 101' and 'the 405'... not to irritate you, but it's what we call our freeways.

been in that area driving a school bus in pretty heavy traffic - hated that!
0 Replies

Persephone

Mon 7 Feb, 2005 03:04 pm
husker wrote:
been in that area driving a school bus in pretty heavy traffic - hated that!

Yes, actually USED to live nearer there. Now I'm farther away from the freeway and closer to the beach. Though rent is rapidly increasing, unfortunately. Sad
0 Replies