Where in Cali is the safest place to live in a car?

Persephone

Mon 7 Feb, 2005 03:06 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Next time I'm in "the Torrence" I'll give you a call.

Alright then, you've made your point. :wink:
0 Replies

ossobuco

Mon 7 Feb, 2005 03:19 pm
What I called the LA freeways depended on just which ones and where I was doing the talking - around home I (we) would say the San Diego or the Santa Monica and then switch and, for greater LA, say then take the 101, the 605, those being known to us by numbers. Perhaps that's how the usage evolved, as LA had some of the first freeways, the Pasadena being quite early in freeway history - perhaps the first - and those first ones had names that were used, for awhile anyway. So "the" rather naturally trailed along for the conversational ride.

Then when more and more freeways happened, and along with them freeway reportage, plain numbers were obviously easier to communicate with.

Hey, listen here, and Take Five..
0 Replies

Persephone

Mon 7 Feb, 2005 04:06 pm
ossobuco wrote:
... So "the" rather naturally trailed along for the conversational ride.

Then when more and more freeways happened, and along with them freeway reportage, plain numbers were obviously easier to communicate with. ...

Isn't the use of 'the' more a Southern Californian way of speech? My sister lives up north, and we've had this conversation... they don't use the 'the' before freeway numbers.

What a conversation... better than talking weather, I suppose! Rolling Eyes

By the way, with the exception of today, Southern California's been experiencing some nice summer weather lately.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Mon 7 Feb, 2005 04:14 pm
I was trying to explain why we southern californians (which I still claim I am) might use "the" in my mumbling about the freeways having word-names at first. I looked up the Pasadena freeway, it was the first in California. http://members.cox.net/mkpl/pasadena/pas3.html

Some friends in LA did leave off the "the"...
0 Replies

sozobe

Mon 7 Feb, 2005 04:32 pm
Yep, the first!

Not really made for going 60 mph. Twisty!! (Used to drive it all the time when I lived in Pasadena.)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Mon 7 Feb, 2005 04:39 pm
And pretty damn tricky getting off at Avenue 43 in fast traffic...
0 Replies

Duke of Lancaster

Mon 16 May, 2005 11:45 am
Re: Where in Cali is the safest place to live in a car?
chris56789 wrote:
I'm not saying I am or plan to do this, I'm going to move to and get a job in cali, but I'm always thinking what if I lose it and end up on hard times and end up only being able to afford to live and sleep in a car, you never know. I was wondering...........

What cities in Cali do you think it would be safest to do this?

And what cities in Cali would I most likely get car-jacked, mugged or harrassed?

These are very important questions, your answers will be greatly appreciated since it could dictate whether I'm safe or not in the future, thank you.

You can stay next to the taco bell stand in LA. People even sleep in boxes around there. Don't let the smell bother you. :wink:
0 Replies

chris56789

Mon 16 May, 2005 09:08 pm
Codeborg,

I got your Pm, but for some reason, the board is telling me I can't Pm you back. But i read your pm and thanks for the info. I don't know what i'm going to do for work. I have to take whatever job. I don't have qualifications.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Mon 16 May, 2005 09:18 pm
You seem fine with typing and English grammar - perhaps you can find an office job.
0 Replies

craig55

Fri 13 Aug, 2010 07:45 pm
Try and stay away from all the heavy black and mexican neighborhoods such as compton, east l.a. ,watts and other armpitt citys. Move to places like Fullerton,Irvine and Dana Point(orange county citys) stay away from santa ana though ,you would stand out like a pienut stuck in ****. Keep in mind that if you where to fall on hard times and had to live in your vehicle, you could stay a certain amount of time in WalMart parking lots. And they are everywhere. good luck!
0 Replies

prime rib

Sun 19 Jan, 2014 02:50 pm
Depends on what you mean by safe.
Safe from thugs?, pervs?, cops?, old hippies?...what?
I would go up to the redwood country along the nor cal coast.
If you have a car or van there are a zillion places to park hastle free.
Stay out of bedroom towns as they will drop a dime on you in a flash.
0 Replies