Name a Democrat who should Run for Pres in 2020

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2018 01:22 pm
I would vote for Bernie, of course. Would have voted for Warren, but she is not interested. Who is out there that would be a great leader?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 17 • Views: 3,877 • Replies: 88

Sturgis

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2018 01:40 pm
@edgarblythe,
Hickenlooper of Colorado and O'Malley from Maryland.

Some have suggested Kirsten Gillibrand, New York and a senator who took the Hillary Clinton spot. To that, a resounding NO! She is not to be trusted. She is now supposedly anti-gun, however, early in her life as Senator, she told of guns under her bed at home. Unsecured! And she had young children in the home who could have easily accessed them. She is learning, I suppose, yet I still don't trust her and find her more of a follower than a leader.

On my extended list, Amy Klobuchar, Cory Booker and Tim Kaine.

On my no, no, no list are Joe Biden and Hillary Clinton. (By the way, Chelsea Clinton is now old enough to make a run)
McGentrix

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2018 01:41 pm
@edgarblythe,
Andy Cuomo, Gov of NYS

We are super hoping he runs and resigns as Gov. Please make that happen.
Real Music

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2018 03:42 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Who is out there that would be a great leader?

Rev. Dr. William J. Barber, II
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2018 03:53 pm
@edgarblythe,
I would love to see a woman president for the first time.

https://www.forbes.com/pictures/lml45mdke/who-will-be-the-first-female-president/#1bdef9ab483a
roger

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2018 03:54 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Just remember, that is not a qualification.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2018 03:56 pm
@roger,
Trump wasn't qualified (as dog catcher), and look what happened.
roger

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2018 04:06 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I happen to agree. We looked at everything except qualifications in that example, too. I hope we can learn from our mistakes.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2018 04:09 pm
@roger,
Trump's qualifications were: a) bigot, b) liar, c) womanizer, d) scammer, e) no government experience, f) "F" for knowledge on any subject. He never learns; look what he did recently by adding tariffs on steel and aluminum; a trade war that will end up costing more for Americans. He's dangerous!
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/donald-trumps-shocking-ignorance-laid-bare/2016/03/24/b66d2b6c-f1f7-11e5-89c3-a647fcce95e0_story.html?utm_term=.25311b6c49ab
coldjoint

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2018 08:14 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Trump wasn't qualified (as dog catcher), and look what happened.

Trump's election should have been a teaching moment for you and others here. This country does not want high minded dribble it wants results. Immigration, the economy, and the middle class.

Oh, Anthony Wiener is not doing anything in 2020, what do you think?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2018 08:38 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Trump's qualifications were: a) bigot, b) liar, c) womanizer, d) scammer, e) no government experience, f) "F" for knowledge on any subject. He never learns; look what he did recently by adding tariffs on steel and aluminum; a trade war that will end up costing more for Americans. He's dangerous!
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/donald-trumps-shocking-ignorance-laid-bare/2016/03/24/b66d2b6c-f1f7-11e5-89c3-a647fcce95e0_story.html?utm_term=.25311b6c49ab

There were two candidates running in 2016. In order for Donald Trump to win, someone would have to be less qualified than he was.

The candidate who ran against Trump was apparently, in the eyes of enough voters, less qualified than Trump. I don't think there were many Democratic candidates who could have lost to Trump. Somehow they managed to find one.
coldjoint

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2018 08:47 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Somehow they managed to find one.

They did not find one, one found them, and used every underhanded trick to be that candidate. Rank and file Democrats are not progressives that is why they voted for Trump.

And your response was to the same post that is continuously repeated by CI.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2018 09:13 pm
I am impressed with Tulsi Gabbard, Congresswoman for Hawaii's second district for the last five years. Some Democrats disparage her for not supporting Mr. Obama in everything, others for her support for Sanders. She was the Democratic Party's Vice Chair, but resigned at the beginning of 2016 in order to endorse Mr. Sanders. While I don't agree with her judgment, I applaud her dedication to her principles. If she ran, she would be the youngest person ever to run for the office. She is a combat veteran, and she opposes regime change wars. I think she's the best available candidate.
roger

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2018 09:37 pm
@Setanta,
If I were in Hawaii, I would vote for her just because of the cute name.

I guess Biden is getting a bit old for office. Maybe? I know he's a hard core Democrat, but I also think he is interested in the good of the country.
Setanta

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2018 10:10 pm
@roger,
I agree about Biden--both that he cares for the fate of the nation, and that he's too old. I sincerely believe that we need a woman from the Democrats, and the younger, the better. We don't need any more old fogies. (I say that knowing that that describes me as well as you--ya old fart.)
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2018 11:06 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
There were two candidates running in 2016. In order for Donald Trump to win, someone would have to be less qualified than he was.

The candidate who ran against Trump was apparently, in the eyes of enough voters, less qualified than Trump. I don't think there were many Democratic candidates who could have lost to Trump. Somehow they managed to find one.

Actually the 2013 gun control debacle made Trump's victory inevitable.

At this point the Democrats may as well not even bother for the next 19 years.

In 2036 they'll have a shot at retaking the White House if (and only if) they reject liberalism and nominate a nice moderate.
MontereyJack

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2018 11:24 pm
@oralloy,
You are probably the only person in the world who thinks there was a 2013 gun debacle. There wasn't. Show me these 20 year cycles you keep talking about. They don't exis.t . either. Try to prove anyccycle that ran from 1996 to 2016. There is none. The last time there wa a conceivable such cycle was FDR-Truman, and that was 65 years ago. Trump certainly didnt
t start one. He wa NOT elected. He lost by nearly 3 million votes, 2/3 of the country destests him, and will most likely be emasculated in November. And good riddance.
oralloy

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2018 12:24 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
You are probably the only person in the world who thinks there was a 2013 gun debacle. There wasn't.

There was. Obama devoted all of his second-term's political capital to attacking the NRA, and failed.

MontereyJack wrote:
The last time there was a conceivable such cycle was FDR-Truman, and that was 65 years ago.

Correct.

Lincoln started one too, but that was a bit earlier.

MontereyJack wrote:
Trump certainly didn't start one.

I say he did.
MontereyJack

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2018 03:28 am
@oralloy,
Any possible Lincoln cycle" was over by 1876, and had been shaky for years before that. Not 20 years. And any other possible cycle could have started in 1933. An irregular gap between them. So your 20 year cycle hsas no validity. OThegop started opposing OBama the day he was inaugurated. Guns had nothing to do with it. Bullshit blatant partisanship did. The country eoes not back the Trump agenda. His cokreis slowly eroding and was well below a majority of the country at every point since the election. He keeps losing special elections. His support has never gone up . That he will last even four years is in serious doubt, let alone start a twenty year cycle, which don't exist except in your apparently Asimov-influenced mind. YOU CAn say it does, but the evidence is essentially nonexistent.
Lash

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2018 05:24 am
Bernie.

Nina Turner, Tulsi Gabbard.

Can’t think of anyone else currently.