What feminism teaches children?

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2018 07:28 pm
Feminism is supposed to be about equality. But what what is modern feminism teaching children.

We are not teaching girls to respect, protect and honor boys. We are teaching boys to respect, protect and honor girls. The first seems like a horrible idea. The second is something that few raise an eyebrow about.

- Is this healthy for boys?
- Is this healthy for girls?
- Is this a path towards equality?
- Is this is this a way to foster healthy, mutually respectful adult relationships?

We are teaching girls to resent and mistrust boys. The same questions apply.

If we are going to teach equality, why can't we have kids play together, learn to work out their issues together without the political baggage that feminism puts on them.

This thread is started by a ridiculous tangent on the MeToo thread that attacks four year old boys for "being boys". I do not believe that modern feminism, which perpetuates rather than challenges gender stereotypes of aggressive boys and helpless girls, is healthy for any child.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 759 • Replies: 4
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by maxdancona
glitterbag

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2018 10:44 pm
@maxdancona,
I actually have views regarding your comments. I'll have to demur until sometime Tuesday because I'm tired and I want to make sure I address your concerns with clarity. I was born as a girl, still think of myself as female because I'm not confused about gender.

I also love all the males in my life (Especially the ones I've raised - been married to - am a sister to - been a daughter to - been a niece to - or been an Aunt to - ) but like I said, it will have to be tomorrow because I'm tired and this needs a more thoughtful response.

I feel badly for Max if he never felt valued by his Mom or any of the other women who may have been in his life.....but I'll respond in about 12 or 14 hours after I get rested.
McGentrix
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2018 01:40 am
@maxdancona,
I don't think that is what modern feminism teaches at all. Teaching girls to be independent, self-reliant, intelligent, thinking people has nothing at all to do with resenting and mistrusting boys. It has to do with teaching them that you do not NEED other people to tell you who to be or what to do.

Girls need to understand that that in order to be treated equally, they have to think they are equal and I think that is one of the key things modern feminism is doing. Believing you are equal is the first step to being equal.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2018 08:02 am
@McGentrix,
Quote:
Teaching girls to be independent, self-reliant, intelligent, thinking people has nothing at all to do with resenting and mistrusting boys.

I agree with this 100%. My comment is based on the fact that this is not the primary message my daughter is getting from modern feminism.

Quote:
Believing you are equal is the first step to being equal.

Hear hear.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2018 08:18 am
@glitterbag,
I realize you were making an attempt at a nasty little personal swipe, but you probably want to leave my mother out of this... she was a monster. She didn't fit into your gender stereotypes.
0 Replies