shooting people hell of a hoot - general

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 05:52 pm
Shooting people? Yes sir, it's a hell of a hoot

The top commander of the US Marine Corps said today that one of his generals should have chosen his words more carefully when he proclaimed it was "fun" to shoot people.

"While I understand that some people may take issue with the comments made by him, I also know he intended to reflect the unfortunate and harsh realities of war," said General Mike Hagee, the commandant of the Marine Corps.

During a panel discussion in San Diego on Tuesday, Lieutenant General James Mattis, who commands the 1st Marine Division in Iraq, said he relished opportunities to kill people in reference to insurgents in Iraq.

"Actually, its a lot of fun to fight. You know, it's a hell of a hoot. I like brawling," Mattis said, according to a San Diego television station.

"You go into Afghanistan, you got guys who slap women around for five years because they didn't wear a veil," said Mattis, who also fought in Afghanistan.

"You know, guys like that ain't got no manhood left anyway. So it's a hell of a lot of fun to shoot them."

Hagee said he spoke to Mattis about his remarks "and he agrees he should have chosen his words more carefully".
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,949 • Replies: 92
No top replies

au1929

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 05:56 pm
The General enjoys his job. Shouldn't we all? :wink:
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 05:57 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 06:08 pm
Haw haw.

puke
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 06:09 pm
Glad you're not fighting for our national security Edgar.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 06:19 pm
What a psycho!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 06:38 pm
I would willingly fight for our national security when and if Bush actually pursued such a policy. But I would not be a wacked out murderous animal over it.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 07:11 pm
Deep down, in places I don't talk about at parties, I want him on that wall...
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 07:11 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Deep down, in places I don't talk about at parties, I want him on that wall...

Laughing
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 07:19 am
I want him doing desk duty in some place he can't hurt others or himself.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 09:03 am
My take on this thing with the General's comments is this -

Although the image of some yahoo sending thousands to
Allah while wearing a gleeful grin gives me pause, the sad truth of war is that you really want more of the yahoos on your side than the other guy has.

I remember the first time I heard someone describing what "fun" it was to strafe people from an Apache helicopter. My first reaction was "Jeez, what a twisted f*ck", but I later came to the same conclusion - if you gotta fight wars, you want the guys who like making war on our side - they tend to do the best job. And I do know what a sad comment that is on humanity in general, but facts is facts.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 09:37 am
At least the psychopaths have a useful role to play in society.

On the other hand, I'm not sure I want a psychopath in charge of the military.

Oops. Too late.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 09:45 am
What this guy said isn't grounds for any reasonable person to label him a "psychopath", unless they just want to do so, sans any other investigation.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 09:54 am
If I were in charge, I probably would have demoted him immediately. This is not the way the US military wants to advertise itself.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 09:56 am
I imagine he will be promoted to some admin position in the pentagon.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 10:05 am
He may be a psychopath, but he's OUR psychopath...
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 10:06 am
D'artagnan wrote:
He may be a psychopath, but he's OUR psychopath...

The psychopath part may be alright, but he needs to have some concept of what his job is, which he clearly does not.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 10:10 am
(I agree, Brandon.)
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 10:42 am
Forgive me, but by what standard are you people judging this man's words? He is a respected leader in the military, with a great reputation with peers and subordinates. He shot off his mouth - I've done that myself. He got reprimanded to pick his words better - would you have him publicly flogged, or just court martialed?
I think you need to get a little real.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 10:50 am
I wonder if these folks would condemn a man for saying he enjoys cutting parts off of people because he knows they deserve it and it's good to take pride in and get some satisfaction out of one's work?

Surely their are surgeons out there that feel this way. Personally, I can't understand how they can do that day in and day out without getting sick which is why I wouldn't choose that line of work for me... but I remain grateful that others do.
0 Replies