I hate valentines day!

almach1

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 02:26 pm
I hate valentines day. Especially now that i've been single for a while. People are running around all desperate looking for dates, worring about presents to get their partners. i aint talking to no girls until after Valentines day. I don't want to date somebody just cause i'm desperate to have a date for the 14th, and I don't want a girl to be going out with me just cause she's desperate too. i think there is nothing more pathetic than two people going out on a date on valentines day pretending to like each other just so they aren't lonley on that particular day.

Let the flaming begin
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 10 • Views: 17,251 • Replies: 43

Crazielady420

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 02:28 pm
ditto, i think
0 Replies

DestinysDad

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 02:34 pm
It's a commercial frenzy precipitated by chocolate and flower companies.

We've all been had!!
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 02:38 pm
Well I agree that it is a scam just to get your money, but at the same time I like the fuzzy little monkey with a heart that I get (if I don't have a special someone, I but it myself... lol)
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 02:53 pm
Valentine's Day

For all you haters out there...this does have some history to it. :wink:
0 Replies

Devious Britches

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 03:58 pm
hehe umm I don't need date just give me the chocolate damn it lol.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 04:36 pm
I have to say Valentine's Day has always been my Least Favorite holiday.

All my years in the Corporate world, every Feb. 14th it seemed all the women in the building would get flowers except for me. It was a competition to see who got the most fantastic flowers/gifts, and I thought it was pretty much bad for everyone, fostering competition where it just didn't belong.

I never cared about having a date that day so much as cards or flowers, or preferably a great deal of chocolate.

This hasn't bothered me in years, partly because it's not so in-my-face these days. I'm sure many corporate/office workers out there are still feeling much the way I did all those years, and my heart goes out to them.

One solution that kinda worked for me was to wait until Feb. 15th, then buy lots of Valentine's chocolates at half price.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 04:42 pm
I hate valentines day also.
Simply because too many people put SOO much stock into the gifts they recieve as being a defination of the status/strength of thier relationship.
If you have to wait until that ONE day of the year to find out if your significant other loves you, you are in a shi*ty relationship.
I also hate it because I think it should be HALMARK's day, not Valentines day. Hell, they get the money , they market the concept of the day... so why not name it after them. HAH

( but i doooo love my chocolate .. even on valentines day. ;-) )
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 04:47 pm
Valentines schmalentines. I can't believe people compete with gifts. Thank goodness I never worked in an office. I really don't get any of the holiday hulabaloo.

But I really just stopped in to ask what those guys are doing in your avatar photo, almach.
0 Replies

Devious Britches

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 04:48 pm
Lol ok I'm cheap hehe. I print him out a card lol. It's still special right? hehe. And heck I've been married so dang long I just want chocolate and to be left alone is that so bad?
don't need the flowers or the smelly stuff just chocolate. You single peeps should try it lol chocolate solves all grin. Besides him being romantic is a hazord to my health as he is romanticly disabled lol. Always has been always will be and it's just soooo much less stress when he doesn't try lol. One year I got a singing chicken, another I got stuck up on the roof where he had set up a "romantic" dinner, and another time I broke my leg with one of his attempts at "romance" Embarrassed So if it doesn't happen all the better I say. Go out and get yourself the biggest box of the best candy and just enjoy life.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 04:59 pm
...some cave to the pressure....I saw someone charge an exhorbitant amount to his credit card. He was buying a gift for his mom....He didn't look like he could afford it.......awwwwww

I thought Valentine's was supposed to be a celebration between 2 SOs.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 05:53 pm
boomerang wrote:

But I really just stopped in to ask what those guys are doing in your avatar photo, almach.

oh, oh, I know this one!!!! I'm jumping up and down, waving my arm in the air, 'pick me, pick me'.

I'll give him until tomorrow to answer and then I'm spillin the beans.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 06:40 pm
Awww. C'mon. Tell me. It's driving me nuts.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 07:01 pm
awww jeez. I like Valentines day because I like buying my little girls some useless stuff and I never let them know if the present will be a simple gift or something more exorbitant.

I come out of my seasonal depression about this time of year and I need someone to thank for being so patient with me and St Val's day is it..
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 07:18 pm
this year will be the first in a looong time that i'm single. well, i have, uhm, a mister (male version of a mistress?), but he's not the special someone, that we know. i am determined to watch V-day sale by and pay as little attention to it as possible. Luckily I have my parents arriving that day to visit me for a week! and a class, and a ton of work. all is well.
0 Replies

almach1

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 08:05 pm
boomerang wrote:
Awww. C'mon. Tell me. It's driving me nuts.

It's a scene from the movie Office Space when they are beating up the printer that never works gansta style to rap music.

I highly recommend that comedy, especially if your work in a corporate setting.
shepaints

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 09:28 pm
awwwwwww farmerman, that sounds so great!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 08:28 am
I'll get a card and so will hubby. That's the extent of our valentines day. Just an "I'm thinking of you".
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 10:56 am
Like all holidays, Valentine's Day is an occasion, not a milestone.

Of course Hallmark and Hershey and assorted flower growers of South America have an interested in promoting their wares. They don't deliver love--either personified or abstract--they sell prepackaged sentiments and chocolate and sentimental bouquets.

February 14 is a holiday for lovers--and if you don't have a love this year--or any other year--so what?

Being loveable is much more satisfactory than being loved.
0 Replies

Krysia

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 04:00 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
I hate valentines day also.
Simply because too many people put SOO much stock into the gifts they recieve as being a defination of the status/strength of thier relationship.
If you have to wait until that ONE day of the year to find out if your significant other loves you, you are in a shi*ty relationship.
I also hate it because I think it should be HALMARK's day, not Valentines day. Hell, they get the money , they market the concept of the day... so why not name it after them. HAH

( but i doooo love my chocolate .. even on valentines day. ;-) )
This is my reasoning, as well! When I was about 15, I noticed this kind of BS, and from then on, I just think of it as a normal day.

These days, though, I can't help but despise it... because of all the whiners!!! Either people complain about how the holiday is stupid because they don't have anyone to share it with (although if they are committed, it's the best day of the year), or about how it's too commercialized (which is true, but some people preach it like they are the only ones who figured it out), or how their loved one didn't put enough effort into it. People need to relax!!
0 Replies