Now/not now/not yet

kitchenpete

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 09:52 am
Noch eine Frage! (Another question/ one more question)

I always thought "noch" meant more/another/additionally... no one has mentioned that.

All this goes to show that idiomatic use of some very basic words can be different in the differrent languages.

Schon genug? (Enough already - sounds very Yiddish in English - probably due to those immigrants' geographic roots).

McTag - sorry about the defeat, but not at all sorry that Arsenal won. Apparently the whole of Maine Road was singing "Stand up for the Champions" last Saturday. 5 points clear and counting!
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 11:49 am
City fans were glad United are unlikely for the top place in the Premiership.
So, in theur defeat, they were looking for a silver lining.
"It's an ill wind that blows nobody any good"

I tried my best to explain, but my German penpal in Nuremberg just COULD NOT understand what that saying meant.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 12:08 pm
KP, you're right. Huh, forgot about that completely.

Ich moechte noch ein Stueck Schokolade - I want another piece of chocolate.

McTag, maybe Walter can think of a good translation or the German equivalent. Walter?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 12:13 pm
McTag

Well, I don't hope that you are now under the cloud! Take a second wind and/or try a rain check another time. (But actually, there is no equivalent to this in German.)

Pete

Yiddish a a Germanic language - all in one line: Frisian, Netherlandic, Afrikaans, German, Old Saxon and Low German and Yiddish.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 12:17 pm
Urs

The meaning is, "nobody will benefit from whatever is happening" - I really can't think of any German 'Sprichwort' similar to that.
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 12:23 pm
Walter,

That's what it sounds like, but it doesn't mean that!

The emphasis is on Nobody, i.e. only the very worst conditions benefit no-one at all. The corollary being that even in bad conditions, there's always someone who's better off.

In this situation, the desire of Man City fans to see Man U further off the lead is the one consolation...despite being defeated themselves!

It usually refers to an unexpected benefit of general misfortune. For example, your car breaks down in the middle of a rain storm, miles from anywhere. In seeking help, you discover the most wonderful country inn, where you spend a pleasant night and return on future occasions.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 12:29 pm
Oh, I see - another sign that my school English is just good enough for minor small talk :wink:

Eh, any idea, how the barmaid in that inn looks like? Laughing
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 07:49 pm
duden on c.d.? hmmmmmmm that wouldn't take up much room in hamburger's luggage, would it?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 12:19 am
No, indeed, it wouldn't. Smile
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 01:36 am
Well said, Pete, a good explanation.

Things have to be exceptionally bad, for no-one at all to benefit from the situation.

Speaking of translations and Sprichwoerte, here are some Sprueche from my mir als Geschenk gegebene Abrisskalender:

oh sorry, silly me,I've left them at work, I'll post them another time.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 01:08 am
OK I've been inundated and deafened by your requests to know what I was talking about, so here those very Sprueche:

Morgen, Morgen! Nur nicht heute!
Sprechen immer traege Leute"

oder..."...sagen alle faulen Leute."

und

"Geht dir heute was daneben- verschiebe es auf's naechste Leben."

Laughing

Schoenen Tag wuensche ich Euch

McT
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 01:55 am
Geht Dir heute was daneben... ? That's one I didn't know. I'll have to remember that for my friend Susan :-)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 02:01 am
And I emailed this just this minute my friend ... Susann as well.
0 Replies