Insomnia

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 09:25 am
Anyone know any insomnia cures other than sleeping pills or warm milk? I can fall asleep really fast since I am EXHAUSTED but I wake up at least 4 times a night. Not to pee or anything. I just wake up. And it sucks. I don't know what could be causing this or how to treat it. I don't particularily like tea but if it will help me sleep though the night, I am all for it. I have some stress in my life, but nothing unusual. I haven't had a full nights sleep now since last Wednesday and I am getting really foggy headed and irritable. Any home remedies you could suggest I try??
Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 831 • Replies: 10
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 10:35 am
Valerian root.

I will explain in a minute. it is time for bean tohave something to eat
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 10:56 am
I'll let shewolf come back for the details but I was about to say valerian root too.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 10:59 am
ok , simple explaination :
Valerian tea helps the body to produce melatonin.
Melatonin makes ya tired. hehe.
simple huh. :-)
I sent you good instructions.. so i hope those help.

You can also buy melatonin over the counter you know??
That is the natural hormone/chemical ( im not sure wich one it is )
that your brain produces to put your body to sleep..
it is usually pretty cheap as well.
0 Replies

janfern

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 10:25 pm
I go through this a couple times a year. The best way I have found to get over it is exercise. A good 20 minute workout that at least gets you sweating. I usually do a 2 mile fast walk. If you try it, don't do right before you go to bed, you need time to settle down. good luck. oh and don't drink tea the caffeine will keep you awake Smile
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 07:30 am
Another $@#(&*%^ u night spent waking up....gggrrrrrrr......
I am like a zombie today. My head hurts. I think I'd need at least a gallon of coffee to wake myself up this morning. This sucks. It affects EVERYTHING. I can't function!

So this is what it feels like to have a baby.... Laughing

All joking aside...I am going to see my ob/gyn about other problems and I wonder if those problems are causing this problem. If she has no insight, I am going to try the Valerian root. They have it on sale at CVS right now; buy one get 1 free.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 11:56 am
Kristie, it stinks to high heaven but it works. Maybe the smell is what knocks you out?

edit: I just thought of something else.... I always have a week or so of insomnia leading up to my period. Are you close to starting?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 12:15 pm
just finished
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 12:23 pm
Kristie wrote:
I am like a zombie today. My head hurts. I think I'd need at least a gallon of coffee to wake myself up this morning. This sucks. It affects EVERYTHING. I can't function!

INSOMNIA = I need SLEEP! Oh, my neurotransmitters imitate atomic-bombs.

Hi Kristie, sorry to hear you can't sleep. I would have to go with exercising more and less caffeine (easy for me to say.)
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 12:25 pm
paulaj wrote:
Kristie wrote:

INSOMNIA = I need SLEEP! Oh, my neurotransmitters imitate atomic-bombs.

Hi Kristie, sorry to hear you can't sleep. I would have to go with exercising more and less caffeine (easy for me to say.)

I cut out all caffeine yesterdy except for my morning coffee (about 1 1/2 cups) and about a 1/2 cup of pop 3 hours before bedtime (with my dinner). Still, same effect as if I would have had a whole glass of pop in bed (which I have done before).

I just don't know.....AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 12:51 pm
Ok, here's what Dr J thinks... (totally unqualified medically so take it for what it's worth)

You are able to get to sleep fairly easily and wake up in the middle of the night. That's usually associated with stress and/or depression. You've certainly been under some extra stress lately and I think I recall you talking about depression recently.

The late night sodas aren't helping you any and even if they aren't keeping you from falling asleep they might be contributing to being unable to go back to sleep. I found a pretty good insomnia link that differentiates the different types and causes of insomnia. It might give you some pointers:

http://www.bcuc.ac.uk/pdf/Insomnia.pdf
0 Replies