Ernest Henry Shackleton

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 03:59 pm
Having just returned from a Antarctic cruise, I'm eager to explore the life and times of Ernest Shackleton in an open discussion to see where it takes us. I had the good fortune to visit his grave at Grytviken in South Georgia, and we were also treated to a movie on Shackleton on the ship. What Shackleton and his men achieved are worth exploring today; their courage, skills, and survival are the topic for all times.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,083 • Replies: 38
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 04:29 pm
I'd love to participate in the dicussion, c.i., but I know next to nothing about the great explorer. So, I'm just bookmarking this so I can listen in and learn.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 11:35 pm
Re: Ernest Henry Shakleton
cicerone imposter wrote:
Having just returned from a Antarctic cruise, I'm eager to explore the life and times of Ernest Shakleton in an open discussion to see where it takes us. I had the good fortune to visit his grave at Grytviken in South Georgia, and we were also treated to a movie on Shakleton on the ship. What Shakleton and his men achieved are worth exploring today; their courage, skills, and survival are the topic for all times.

How was the trip CI, nice to have you back.

The Museum of Science in Boston had an Omni theater presentation on Shakelton and their harrowing voyage to Antartica around the turn of the century. What those people endured (on the Endurance) and achieved, was nothing short of spectacular.

I remember watching the movie and thinking, it can't get any worse, it can't get any worse... but it did, over and over and over again, every challenge seemed more and more insurmountable. And yet, some survived. I don't remember the details because it's been a couple of years since I saw the film, but I do remember being deeply impressed by the story.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 12:04 am
Hi rosborne, Glad to see your visit to this forum. The abreviated story of Shackleton is the fact that he saved all 22 of his men stranded on Elephant Island for over three months. He took five of his men on a 22 foot boat on a 800 mile trek to South Georgia in trecherous waters where they had to bail icy water out of the boat by whatever means they could including their cupped hands just before the boat was ready to sink. Frank Worsley, his navigator, with his sextent, was able to get them to South Georgia (like finding a needle in a haystack), but unfortunately, they landed on the wrong side of the island, and had to climb 1800m mountain with snow and ice to get to the other side to Stromness Harbor.

The trip was fantastic - but that's an understatement. We were able to do things on this one cruise while several who have done ten cruises to Antarctica never experienced. We did a Zodiak cruise at Elsehul, saw Stromness Harbor through my monocular, landed at Grytviken, and had my picture taken at Shackleton's grave, saw the museum, walked to his memorial, did a Zodiak cruise at Gold Harbor, and cruised into Drygalsky Fjord (this was the very first time for the Captain of our ship after ten tries). We had Zodiak landings at Hope Harbor and Esperanza Camp on the Antarctic Peninsula, and cruised past Coronation and Elephant Island. We were supposed to have a Zodiak landing on Elephant Island, but the Captain felt it wasn't safe because of the high swells. Nobody on our ship was complaining. It was fantastic! Drake Passage was relatively calm, and we were able to see Cape Horn. On my first time around Cape Horn two years ago, it was fogged in.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 08:15 am
Hi CI,

The whole trip sounds fantastic, and I vaguely remember the history of Shakelton and his men now that you say it.

What is the weather like in Antartica this time of year?

Are you going to post any of your pictures from the trip?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 08:17 am
So where are the pictures? Have I missed them?

And if I haven't, what are you doing messing around?

Pictures now, stories later. :wink:
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 04:09 pm
PDid, Have mercy, mister. I had to download over 1,000 photos, and I've not had a chance to review them yet! Patience is the key... Wink
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 04:19 pm
Shackleton's grave at Grytviken.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/imposter222/meatshakletonsgrave222.jpg
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 04:39 pm
Hey, welcome back c i. I cannot imagine how that trip to South Georgia was made without the boat flat sinking from icing up. I saw the Discovery show but not the Omni production. Did you have to break any ice getting to port?

Doesnt it get maddening when your in the zone of 24 hr light? I went nuts up on Baffin
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 04:50 pm
I think it's spelled "Shackleton". Not to be pedantic, of course.

There's a wonderful documentary about the voyage of the Endurance. I recommend it!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 05:51 pm
Here's a picture I took through my 10X optical zoom digital camera of Stromness Harbor where Shackleton and his two men ended up at the base. This will be the last picture for today.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/imposter222/StromnessHarbor700.jpg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 06:00 pm
D'art, Thanks, but you sure know how to increase my 'work' load! LOL bah humbug!
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 06:01 pm
Well I'm not a fan of Shackleton. The 70 sled-dogs he had on his ship didn't make it out of Antarctica alive.

The only consolation is that the man who was ordered to kill them later went insane dreaming of them.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 06:11 pm
well yeah and Shackleton was born in County Kildare,, I hate him too. I don't think I will even consider going to antarctica. (let alone take a camera) as a matter of fact Hoft myself and some friends had planned on going to see another friend in Germany this spring but now I realize that Hitler was once there I am cancelling our trip.
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 06:27 pm
Dys - if there's any truth to global warming, we can give Antarctica a couple of years. Time enough to build a Club Med.
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 06:32 pm
LOL about Hitler - I'm so fed up with all the breastbeating about camps that if I hear any more of that aggravation I'll go out and buy a Prince Harry outfit.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 06:32 pm
so you think I can safely cancel my trip to germany this spring and replace it with a furture trip to antarctica? If I do that will it be ok if I take pics and post them for whatever friends I might have on a2k?
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 06:40 pm
C.i., wecome home!! The descriptions are wonderful. It does sound like the adventure of a lifetime. We are looking forward to more pics after you have a chance to catch your breath.

Sour grapes aside, the trip is fantastic, something only a dedicated traveler would do and a great way for all of us to learn more about Antarctica and Shakelton.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 06:56 pm
Who are these people; this HofT and dys? Camps, Hitler, Germany, global warming, and eating dogs?
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 07:00 pm
Speaking for Dys, he seldom let's a post pass that is self-centered, pure sour grapes and is irrelevant to the thread.

Where are the pics? Come on, you've had plenty of time since the last few threads...
0 Replies