Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 06:31 am
http://www.humaneventsonline.com/article.php?id=6451

HUMAN EVENTS has learned that a billboard blitz "thanking" Hollywood for the reelection of President Bush will be unveiled early next week.

The advertisements feature the faces of liberal Hollywood icons Michael Moore, Whoopi Goldberg, Ben Affleck, Martin Sheen, Chevy Chase, Barbara Streisand, and Sean Penn, and offer thanks to Hollywood their help getting President Bush reelected.

Two versions of the billboard were created, both "thanking" Hollywood -- the first for "4 more years" and the second for "W. Still President."

Billboard creator Citizens United, a group that advocates a return to traditional American values, has purchased the use of three billboards near the Kodak Theatre (home of the Academy Awards) for the month of February, which includes Oscar Night, Sunday, February 27.

Asked about the campaign, Citizens United President David Bossie said, "We're taking on Hollywood. We've done it in the past." Of the organization's many actions, one of its most famous challenges to Hollywood was Celsius 41.11, a documentary exposing "the truth behind the lies of Fahrenheit 9/11," the Michael Moore anti-Bush mock-umentary.

http://www.hebookservice.com/BookPage.asp?prod_cd=c6279&sour_cd=HEB002901

http://www.humaneventsonline.com/story-images/BillboardA.jpg

http://www.humaneventsonline.com/story-images/BillboardB.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,322 • Replies: 36
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 07:33 am
I think that it is a cheap shot. Even though I did not approve of what some liberals in Hollywood did, I think that these billboards are in very poor taste.

For goodness sake, we are talking about the President of the US, not the winner of a reality show.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 10:24 am
But, Phoenix, doesn't it bear an eerie appearance to a reality show? The billboard misses the point -- Kerry lost the election for himself and those mentioned pared away at a lot of Bush votes, otherwise it could have been a landslide and a real mandate for Bush rather than the weak one he received.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 10:26 am
As I said on the Nazi thread,

I support everyone's right to be a jackass if they so desire.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 10:46 am
I think, that , rather than dividing and alienating THE HALF OF AMERICA THAT SAW BUSH AS AN ANAL ORIFICE, why not take the billboard funds and donate it to something like relief for Banda Aceh. Im sure Bush's handlers gave tacit approval to all this and its gonna backfire in their faces

Then , on another thread, gunga is thumping the tub to promote the use DDT in the Indian subcontinent to help fight the resurgence of malaria.
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 02:58 pm
I wonder if those celebrities signed a release form allowing their image to be used for that advertising campaign...

Just idle speculation.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 04:02 pm
hmmm, good point. LAWSUIT!!!
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 08:48 pm
I don't think so, they are public figures and there their images can be used.

Did MM ask W's permission to use his face in his movie?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 10:25 pm
I think anyone could sue anyone else for just about anything. There was talk of a lawsuit on Michael Moore, I dont know whether its been filed to-date.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 10:59 pm
It was a foolish lawsuit with as much substance as that was never followed up on which was about as much a waste of brain power and money as this billboard idea.

Again, conservative humor: an oxymoron.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 11:00 pm
I wouldn't know, it isn't that important to me. What matters is that Moore didn't even get a nod from his own people for Academy Awards.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 11:07 pm
He didn't submit the film for best documentary.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 11:17 pm
typical...the only thing more worthless than a sore loser is a sore winner....the creators of this and the supporters who like it....snotty little turds....are we supposed to be surprised? Laughing
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 02:51 am
Lightwizard wrote:
He didn't submit the film for best documentary.

He was actually holding out thinking the piece of garbage might win best picture.....

BWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHahahahahahahahahahah hahah haha hhaha hhahahah hahahah hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.........
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 07:02 am
Baldimo wrote:
I don't think so, they are public figures and there their images can be used.

Did MM ask W's permission to use his face in his movie?

Entirely different legal issue. MM used press releases from W which are non-proprietary. Which of course brings up the possibility that those photos on the billboard were taken from press-releases, in which case they have no grounds for a complaint.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 10:33 am
"F-9/11" won enough prizes and I don't believe Moore was serious it would be nominated for best picture as documentaries are exempt from being nominated for best picture and that's almost common knowledge. While we listen to the fading echo of insane turkey cackling, Moore walked off with the Cannes Film Festival prize, won the favorite movie prize at the People's Choice (voted on by the public), and is nominated for best documentary director by the Director's Guild of America. Leaving out that he also said he was bowing out of offering the film for best documentary at the Oscars as to give other film documentarians their opportunity at the prize is telling of someone who continually takes things out of context to prove their weak points.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 12:05 pm
The billboards will most likely be vandalized way before Oscar night. Wouldn't surprise me if THESE peeps are making their way to sunny southern Cali as we type Smile
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 12:10 pm
I guess this also means no one should listen to Ahnuld, or Charlton Heston, or Tom Selleck or ... ?

No?

Different strokes, I guess.

Quel surprise.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 12:12 pm
JustWonders wrote:
The billboards will most likely be vandalized way before Oscar night. Wouldn't surprise me if THESE peeps are making their way to sunny southern Cali as we type Smile

Then they accuse others of "supressing" the vote. Pretty amazing, isn't it?
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 12:14 pm
I did enlarge the photo (thanks Gunga!!) and printed it out on card stock to make postcards.

The guys and gals I correspond with in Iraq will get a kick out of it!!!

Smile

<Not a copyright violation if I don't sell them, I don't think>
0 Replies