I think I might want a career change from the restaurant, what do I do?

Reply Thu 8 Feb, 2018 08:29 pm
I've been in the restaurant industry for roughly 10 years. It isn't the worst, but I don't feel like I'm really enjoying it, either, or perhaps doesn't feel meaningful. I have a Bachelor's in Business Management and Associate's in International Business. I feel like I went into business because my dad was very controlling and that's what he wanted so I wound up doing it, but now I feel like I regret it. I definitely have more of a heart for other cultures and languages, but I feel like that ship has sailed, and don't feel like I can go back to school to get back into it. While I understand work is work, I also want to be able to enjoy my job. This came in 2 forms: Working in a clothing store, there wasn't too much stress, but you still did your job (folding laundry is therapeutic to me for some reason); and the other, for example, was working in a bank, until it became mentally exhausting. There, I made it enjoyable by recognizing people's needs, and providing a service; i.e. they had 3 credit cards, consolidate to a lower payment/interest. I lost the joy of that when it was simply all about sell sell sell sell even when it made no sense whatsoever, and felt unethical. I feel I have the most joy when I helping people, not simply selling them something. Any thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,404 • Replies: 3
No top replies

jespah

Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2018 06:35 am
@shyguygamer1,
Go back to school. It's not too late.

By my calculations, you're in your 30s. I went back to school in my 50s. Unless they're lowering your coffin into the ground, or scattering your ashes, it's not too late to reclaim your life and create your happy ending.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2018 08:38 am
What did you do at the restaurant?

You say you like filling needs of people, but also enjoyed hands-on work.

Event planner might fill that bill. With your restaurant background, planning parties and coordinating events would be fun.

Have you ever done personality/ vocation testing? That might help you formulate a plan. And school/ training is not out of the question.
shyguygamer1

Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2018 09:58 am
@PUNKEY,
In the restaurant I was primarily a server, and served in a managerial role on occasion when the others managers were on vacation, but was never officially listed as a manager.
I have a ton of debt still from my previous tenure as well a huge hospital bill from when I had no insurance, so I have a huge fear of adding more debt to that huge chunk...I feel like I can't go back to school until I get that all paid off, but I just feel like I incur one expense after the other from just normal everyday life.
0 Replies