Expressing the concept of "some" in Italian

Francis

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 02:03 pm
Kicky,

Ancora un po' di pazienza, doppo un po' d'amore, si pone un po' di burro nel pane!
It works also with : un po' di pane nel burro!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 02:10 pm
Grazie, Francis. So I'm getting the feeling that "un po' di" is a pretty versatile little phrase. Good thing.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 03:08 pm
You got it, Kicky Laughing
0 Replies

luukas

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 03:58 pm
Here I am Smile

Kicky, I would say that you're right.
You can use 'di+article' or 'un po' di' with both countable and uncountable nouns.

Gli ho dato dello zucchero - I gave him some sugar
Gli ho prestato dei libri - I lent him some books
These sentences mean almost the same:
Gli ho prestato alcuni libri
Gli ho prestato qualche libro

Mi serve un po' di farina - I need some flour
Oggi ho comprato un po' di libri - Today I bought some books
With the same meaning:
Oggi ho comprato qualche libro
Oggi ho comprato alcuni libri

All these expressions refer to small amounts.
I would say that 'di+article' and 'alcuni/alcune' are neutral expressions, you are just referring to a small amount with no specific hint to how small this amount is.
'Qualche libro' sounds like 'very few books' or at least 'not many'.
'Un po' di' with uncountable nouns (un po' di farina) refers to a small amount, like a cup of flour
'Mi serve della farina' sounds more like you need a whole packet of flour, not just a cup.
On the contrary 'un po' di libri' is not a huge amount but neither a very small one. Probably 'un po' di libri' is a bigger amount than 'alcuni libri'.
Let's say that 'alcuni libri' can be even 2 or 3 books while 'un po' di libri' should be at least 4 or 5 books.

Don't trust me 100%. These expressions are all very similar and if you isolate them from the context they have almost the same meaning.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 04:06 pm
Thanks, Luukas. Excellent answer.
0 Replies

loislane17

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 04:59 pm
Luukas, at last!
Yea, seems to me is that if you translate it back, you realize you are literally saying a little [bit] of so work it, Kicky!

How's the travel planning going? Hope things worked out with a place in Venice! That one where Ruskin stayed is really a fun spot (or was 3 years ago when I was last there!), but wherever you go, you're gonna have un po di fabulous time!
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 12:57 am
Po' is an abbreviation of poco meaning "a little," or "kind of," or "some." It's meaning in Italian is the same as in Spanish, although it isn't abbreviated in Spanish.
0 Replies