Expressing the concept of "some" in Italian

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 07:36 pm
You can express the concept of "some" in a few different ways that I know of.

di + article + whatever the thing is (ex. del pane)

un po' di + whatever the thing is (ex. un po' di spaghetti)

qualche + singular verson of whatever the thing is (ex. qualche goirno)

alcuno + whatever the thing is (ex. alcuni biglietti)

I know that "alcuno" and "qualche" can only be used for things that are countable, but what about "di + article + whatever the thing is", and "un po' di"? Are they used exclusively for uncountable things, or can they be used in any situation?

Thank you in advance,

Kicky
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,760 • Replies: 26
No top replies

paulaj

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 07:43 pm
I found this in my little song booklet-

"Some say in the village..."

"Dicen en la aldea..."
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 08:15 pm
Thanks, but I have no idea what that is.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 08:18 pm
kickycan wrote:
Thanks, but I have no idea what that is.

It's all I have <walks off feeling sheepish> Oh well.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 08:20 pm
It's okay. You can make it up to me in the usual way.

<unzips pants>
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 08:23 pm
Haha! But seriously folks! Can anyone help me out here?
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 01:22 am
Kicky, posso aiutare?

See this :

Alcuni dicono che
quando รจ detta,
la parola muore.
Io dico invece che
proprio quel giorno
comincia a vivere

A word is dead - Emily Dickinson

A word is dead
When it is said,
Some say
I say it just
Begins to live
That day
:wink:
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 02:29 am
Re: Expressing the concept of "some" in Italian
kickycan wrote:
I know that "alcuno" and "qualche" can only be used for things that are countable, but what about "di + article + whatever the thing is", and "un po' di"? Are they used exclusively for uncountable things, or can they be used in any situation?

Thank you in advance,

Kicky

I'm not easy with you paragraph, Kicky.

Consider :

- Without having some aesthetic concience - senza avere alcuna coscienza estetica

- Is there some conscience in the leadership? - ha un po' di coscienza nella direzzione?
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 03:10 am
lotsa!!

Isn't 'molto' used to indicate this, 'Molto buena!!'
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 03:51 am
Mr Stillwater wrote:
Isn't 'molto' used to indicate this, 'Molto buena!!'

Do you mean "molto buona"?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 10:52 am
Bookmark
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 11:08 am
Thank you all, but you guys are confusing me with all these separate examples that don't have anything to do with my specific question. Here's the question again. This is all I want to know.

kickycan wrote:
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 11:38 am
Kicky,

alcuno = someone, is this countable?
qualche = one of this, is this countable?

is something indefinite countable?

as I'm not a native english speaker, please divide your question as I can percieve the meaning..
0 Replies

loislane17

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 11:56 am
Well, english is tough and unfortunately not a precise language, so translating can be hell. Evil or Very Mad

Some depends on which of the 8buhzillion ways you're using it. It's as bad as up when it's not the opposite of down (don't get me started!) and the one that my Italian teacher loves: Get.

Someone, something is as Francis mentioned: when it's a subject or object, then you use alcune or qualche--Some would say that yaddi yaddi.

I want some bread or He took some of the cake is the di + mode. So, when it's an adjective "some bread" then it's di +

If you want to stay safe, don't get into some as, "Boy, you've got some hot avatar!" oy.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 12:28 pm
i learned italian a while ago, from the natives i used it for just about anything-- un po' di tutti, etc. parlo un po d'italiano, etc. ho un po di soldi, etc.

the probelm i had with taking it as a class is that the teacher holds you to these strict standards-- whereas, while living there, it's less formal and more relaxed. so, your teacher may want to slap my wrists for this incorrect version.
0 Replies

loislane17

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 12:36 pm
No, all the teachers where I take class are native speakers and hilarious! They quite often discuss the difference between written/formal Italian and "street" or real Italian!

But the samples you quoted all were what I was saying--you're using un po di + as the adjective, not as a subject-I speak some/little Italian, I have a little/some money.

Still, even at it's least formal and most dialectic, it's a more precise language that English-what isn't?? I would hate to be trying to learn it as a second language! For every rule, there are 50 exceptions!
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 12:53 pm
lois, the only way i could learn it is from the street-- so i guess we're thinking alike but explaining it differently. i've never understood the difference of adjective vs. subject, so it's all instinct.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 12:56 pm
I was only talking about specific things, not indefinite things like something, someone, etc. I meant things like some bread, some rain, some oranges, some dogs, some women, etc.

I didn't realize that this was going to be such a hard question. Thanks everybody for your input. I don't know if I understand it any better, but I appreciate you all trying to help.

I read in my grammar book that "un po' di" can be used for countable things, but it's colloquial to do so. I guess there is no definite answer here.
0 Replies

loislane17

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 12:58 pm
lol!

One thing I found out, but didn't initially believe, is that once you do start really speaking you do come to have an instinct about what "sounds" right--where the accent goes, when to use certain phrases. I'd go for street training everytime! Only way I could learn it, initially anyway, was in class!
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 01:08 pm
yeah, we don't learn to speak our native language by writing and studying-- we learn it by listening as wee tots. that's why i always hated studying other languages instead of hanging around with the natives it or reading it from a newspaper or popular magazine. the academic stuff just takes the fun out of it...
0 Replies