gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 07:55 am
Did I ever tell you that you were an extremely amusing person, littlek?

Doesn't come in ewe. Indeed.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 10:41 am
How do you guys comment during games? I haven't figured that out. Like, I'm playing, and gus pops in and says "Sourly"? (Gus -- "'I lost', he said sourly.") It says "press insert to answer" but I don't see any "insert".

Maybe it's a mac thing.

Sometimes I can click on the name and open a new dialogue box, sometimes (like now) I can't.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 10:45 am
Do you have a little comment line at the bottom right of the screen?
Says "command" with a drop-down box on my screen when I'm playing.
The alternate in the drop-down is "tell" whoever I'm playing.

The "insert" is the insert button on my keyboard, which, if I hit it a few times will give me "tell" whoever's sent you a note (other than the person I'm playing)

When the command button is visible, and I can see that a new buddy has arrived and I want to say 'helllllooooooo', I can type "tell" + buddy name and then the message.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 10:58 am
OK, I just quintuple-checked my (Mac) keyboard and I don't see any insert key. Maybe one of the F# keys is insert, I haven't mastered those yet. "tell" + buddy name looks promising.

Thanks.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 06:28 pm
New question!

I almost never choose the "change" option. (And I've had some baaaaaaaaad hands -- but it seems to work better to eke out a bunch of "aeon"s and "naiad"s and wait for better letters than to change.) Today I was overrun by I's, and changed my hand. Worked out OK. I clicked "change", my hand appeared in a new box, I clicked the ones I wanted to change (four of them) and then clicked done. Got new (much better) letters. Fine.

Then a bit later I was overrun even worse -- 5 of those damn I's, and an N and an A-- and tried to change again. What appeared in the box was what was there when I clicked "done" the previous time. The letters didn't correspond to my current hand -- it was just the three letters I'd kept last time. I uncertainly clicked those -- didn't seem to be any other option -- and exchanged one I, and my N and my A. :-?

So I was left with 4 I's plus three more miscellaneous letters, and I'd lost my turn.

Bug? Something to do with my mac? Was I supposed to do something I didn't do?

Thanks.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 07:22 pm
I don't know why you had that problem, soz, but I'm afraid the problem is either with you or your computer. I also don't change letters often (mid-western Lutheran upbringing. Sigh deeply and accept what is). Niteowl channges letters as part of her strategy. Perhaps she can help.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 07:30 pm
Soz, you just click on the person's name and it gives you a list of options, eg, chat, observe, etc.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 07:43 pm
Gus, I'll be here all week - tip your bartendress.

Soz - just type tell (or even just t) [space] username [space] comments.

RJB - I don't change either - maybe ywice in all the games I've played. So, I guess it's not only a lutheran or mid-western tendency.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 07:49 pm
how the heck do people play 3 minute games?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 07:55 pm
try it some time beth. not that I have. or watch laeknir play one or three. it's amazing.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 04:04 pm
Now this is kind of strange. Tell me what you think of this ploy.
I was observing a game just now. One of the players was on my buddies list only because I played her (and "won") about a week ago but it was, for some reason, not a victory I was happy about. One of us had computer problems that precluded a good ending to a close game.
So I'm watching her in a close game this pm, really close, and she has bad letters but her opponent is running out of time. 2 seconds left in the penalty phase. She tosses out URQJUDK on a triple word space, scoring 151 points and time expires on the other player. How clever is that?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 04:10 pm
er, clever. :-?

I really like VOID games, when I seek (have done that twice now) my parameters are 15 minutes and VOID. None o' that, though bluffing can be fun, itself. Kind of Balderdashy.

I'd had a run of really bad luck, lots of iiiiiun hands and then the occasional qrzjxtv hands, and then yesterday I had the most amazing good luck ever. Two bingos, 439 points. You know how it's always like, "ooh, if I only had that letter" or "oooh, if I only had a place to put it" (I usually get at least one bingo a game but it only occasionally works out to actually put it someplace) and that game everything worked. Ahhh. Fun.

Haven't played since, still basking.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 04:31 pm
I've been playing the computers, lately, now that I am able to. I can often beat computers ranked higher than I am.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 04:40 pm
What do you and the computers chat about while you are playing?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 05:39 pm
Things that Byte.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 06:06 pm
okay. I'm too much an old Virginia gentleman to bite on that. So where is gus when we need him?
(PS: weather in Boston was apparently dreadful a day or so ago; I presume yall are fine and dandy).
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 10:45 pm
johnboy/poorpuppy clawed his way up from a rating of 8 (as in 8) all the way to 120 but is now sinking back into the abyss. Part of the problem is the clock, which seems to run faster against poorpuppy:
Time, you're a villain.
Time, you're a thief.
Time, you stole my youth from me and now you bring me grief.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 04:51 pm
boy...I'll look for you. You can feast on my 230 rating
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 08:48 pm
RJB - yes, the weather gets nasty here, but really, it has been an overall more pleasant winter than the last two were. We just have much more snow this winter.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 09:11 pm
Laeknir! I only just found the chat box with your comments. It went behind other windows -- your comments didn't show up on the main console thingie. So I didn't see any of them until now. I thought you were giving me the silent treatment! Since I added the name, thought maybe it was the wrong handle and this Laeknir was wondering WHO this babbling idiot was...

Yeah, swindler took a while, but I had two blanks and I knew something had to work. I had one right away -- forget what it was now, but it wouldn't fit anywhere. Then I spent forever trying to get a triple word score with "firs" or "fire". It was excruciating, nothing was working and I knew there had to be SOMETHING!!!

Anyway, thanks for playing me finally!!
0 Replies