LionTamerX

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 03:26 pm
My pleasure, seaglass.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 04:14 pm
It is, seaglass, free. If you find yourself enjoying it, you are welcome to contribute to the upkeep. Interestingly, the computer wizard who put it together is in Romania. 99.9% of my games have been fun. I have only encountered a few jerks. At my level of playing (a rating of around 300) that is to be expected. 300 is not very high and we spend a lot of time chatting between moves about many things unrelated to the game. I have met some fascinating characters from all over the world,
Join us if you desire, and if you ever bump into "poorpuppy" - that's me.
0 Replies

seaglass

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 04:40 pm
rjb,

I sometimes play on Tuesdays at Borders Book Store on the Big Island and there is this one gentleman that hits the mainland tournaments and is like one of the top 50-60 on the circuit. He gave me sheets with all 2-letter and 3-letter words to memorize. I haven't as of yet.

I had planned to go the 2005 tournment in Reno as a camp follower but didn't make it. it's my understanding you have to get qualified in a minor tournament to get in the biggies.l
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 10:35 am
They've just launched a new dictionary at the site, with more obscure words.

Yup, just what I needed.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 09:24 am
... tap ...

just played for the first time in about three months

had to re-register as lilPB
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 09:31 am
<brandishing garlic>
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 10:42 am
I still play several times a week using the screen name poorpuppy. I tend to bump into folks with whom I have played before and, like at a cocktail party where you run into a person you should recognize but can't, I feign remembrance of who they are and where they are.
I had a truly awesome night last night, picking up players in quick succession from Malaysia and Singapore. By my count the 44th and 45th countries on my list of opponents. It is rare to pick up a new country anymore. Two in one night is amazing.
And I played someone from Birmingham, UK. Not memorable until the middle of the game when, while chatting, she mentioned that she was a female rap singer. Hot damn! I collect countries on scrabble but, if you know johnboy, you know that I love writing and writing about characters. A female rap singer. How cool is that! I know nothing about rap, but we ended up chatting for about an hour after the game had ended about that genre, about her background growing up poor in a tough town and about the theme of her raps. Fascinating.
She will be in London next week for the UK Female Rap competition. I wish her (rawality is her stage name) the best of luck.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 11:52 am
That is really interesting, rjb.

Your scrabble life is much better than mine.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 12:55 pm
Some folks, ehbeth, just want to play the game. No chat. That is fine.
Others want to talk and are looking for an opportunity to do so. I used to start out with an open ended question: what is the big news story in your town's newpaper today. Alas, scrabble players don't seem to follow current events too closely (except for the Aussies). So now I have to work much harder to find something my opponent is interested in. But once you find that button to push, they talk. And they talk. And I listen. I love to listen to the stories that people tell.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 06:08 pm
I hit a run of women who wanted to pray for my soul the last time I tried to engage folks in conversation.

I've become a Scrabble-mumbler as a result.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 11:57 am
ruining

Cool
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2006 06:19 pm
I realize that most all of yall have moved on to other interests. But realjohnboy still hangs out on the scrabble game thing (screen name: poorpuppy).
I would like to tell you, periodically, about some of the folks I have met there. I don't play to win; I play to chat. And sometimes realjohboy just listens. realjohnboy is a good listener.
I am up to 46 countries now. And I started on US states. I have 32 in just a month or two.

Recent entries:
I played a lady from Israel. South of Tel Aviv. We chatted about the weather and then a bit about the situation there. I certainly didn't push or pull the tiopic. She was playing scrabble, after all I thought, to escape for awhile. But she gave her opinion (very pro-Isreal, of course) and then mentioned, nonchalantly, I thought, that three of her six children were in the military.

And I played someone from Miami who earns her (?) living walking dogs for (my words, not her's) "rich yuppies." What is the point of owning a dog if you can't take it for a walk in the park?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2006 07:29 pm
I recently logged in with a new screen name - nothere. Been having some fun on occasion - chatting a tiny bit more, but seem to always get picked by the 'god bless'ers Confused
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2006 08:45 pm
I did indeed get one of the, um, ultra-relgious folks. We agreed to disagree and we have had several nice chats about other topics He/she is from Jamaica.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 08:12 pm
I picked up South Dakota (state #33) and I met a lady from Bahrain (country #47). We talked at some length about the mid-east situation.
What I found striking was that the lady from Israel and the lady from Bahrain made almost the exact same comment:
"We have nothing against (the Jews or the Arabs) as a people; just the policy of the government(s) that keep attacking us."
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 04:56 pm
I started playing again after the bug bit over at Facebook.

Still love my Scrabble!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 05:03 pm
Scrabulous?

I just started on Facebook, and right away was challenged to a game. It fell through -- I was busy -- but looks GREAT. Have been shying away from it though... way too busy already, don't need more timesinks (and Scrabble can become such a timesink for me... a fun one though!)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 05:09 pm
Scrabulous ( and Scramble if you like Boggle)
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 06:14 pm
Yoa know, I have never been able to make that Scrabble game work. I might try it again though since I upgraded my computer. Can somebody givve me the link again?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 06:20 pm
www.isc.ro
0 Replies