Fake Word Gone Unnoticed at First...

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 11:21 am
We play a running game of Scrabble at our office. Someone played a fake word, opare, and it went unnoticed by next player, and therefore was not challenged. Next play, the next player pluralizes this fake word to make opares. I challenge it, but the challenged player makes the point that if it got past then it’s a legal word, that you can’t "handicap" the board. I made the point that perhaps opare is already the pluralized version of this other-worldly word, to which his reply was "moving forward, do we just avoid touching the word altogether?"--a good question. Thanks for your comments!

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 11:23 am
@fishbound,
Thanks for thanking me for my comments.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 11:26 am
@fishbound,
whoever played the word must lose a finger. their choice of which one.

fake words will cease to be a problem going forward.

thank you for your question...
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 12:08 pm
The official Scrabble rules say:

Any play may be challenged before the next player starts a turn. If the play challenged is unacceptable, the challenged player takes back his or her tiles and loses that turn. If the play challenged is acceptable, the challenger loses his or her next turn. Consult the dictionary for challenges only. All words made in one play are challenged simultaneously. If any word is unacceptable, then the entire play is unacceptable. Only one turn is lost on any challenge.

There's nothing there about unacceptable words becoming acceptable if not challenged. Rather, a word is either unacceptable or acceptable. "Opares" is not an English word - thus, it is unacceptable and can be challenged. It doesn't matter that no one challenged "opare."
fishbound

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 04:06 pm
@joefromchicago,
thanks, that was helpful. Smile
0 Replies

frankania

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2015 11:48 am
What is the highest score for a single word? I recently wrote JODHPURS across the 2 triple-word squares and got over 250 points counting its connection with other words there. frank in Mexico
0 Replies