gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 06:36 pm
Now that you mention that, Mac, that word was used extensively in a book I recently read. I'm thinking the book was "The Kite Runner", but I may be wrong. One of the characters in the book, part of which took place in Afghanistan, was perpetually chewing qat.

Mac11 wrote:
qat (also spelled kat, khat, qat, quat, or cat) is a shrub cultivated by the Arabs for its leaves that act as a stimulant narcotic when chewed or used as a tea
0 Replies

Laeknir Scrat

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 06:56 pm
Some Swedish friends visited Yemen eons ago, went to a factory, and found all the personnel chewing qat. They worried about the productivity. LOL.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 07:06 pm
Am I right in thinking that there are two kinds of Scrabble Players, the ones who must know what nene means and those who could care less as long as it's allowed?

PS it means a kind of goose.

Not that kind.

Joe( I just won a squeaker.) Nation
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 07:06 pm
cool, mac and gus. As some of yall may know, I spent a few years hitching around Africa. The word there for the same thing as qat was, as I recall, pronounced chat. Truckers who gave rjb lifts always seemed to have a twig (not the leaves) in their mouths and they (the truckers) were wired.
I tried it a few times. Really nasty tasting stuff and the buzz was quite mild; not too much different then some kinds of coffee from Starbucks
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 07:39 pm
I'm gonna get me some of that stuff.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 07:44 pm
I can hook ya up.

Just get far away from me before you start chewing.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 08:04 pm
As mentioned earlier, it tasted horrible. Really, really, bad. You don't want to try it.
But then there was Mawali gold. Not that johnboy ever had any personal experience with that. But if you ever want to listen to an amusing little story, ask me about Malawi gold, Trevor, the one-eyed caddy, the Irishman and the pineapple. I can't play scrabble but I can sometimes weave a pretty good story...most of which is true.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 08:07 pm
hey johnboy - i tried to match you, but i got jumped

save me a dance?
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 08:15 pm
I saw you but I was in the middle of some writing on other threads. Thanks for asking.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 09:15 pm
Do I have time for scrabble tonight? I dunno......
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 09:20 pm
Do you have time for a drink?
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 10:09 pm
Anybody up for a game ? Sorry, I got home late due to pesky job.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 10:22 pm
A drink? Nope, but I could have used one. Keep your eye open for the return of the 'life at home' thread.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 10:24 pm
oy!

ok - you can tease my hair in that case
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 11:25 pm
Oh no! You wouldn't want me to tease your hair tonight.
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 01:14 am
I don't know liontamerx sign on but would play you if i did.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 11:12 am
liontamerX = liontamerX
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 07:24 pm
whew! Just played a 10 minute game. My heart rate has returned to normal, but I'm still deep breathing.

I was winning, despite being out of time with an I which defied placement. I kept passing and the guy snuck a play that was totally bullshit in because I wasn't paying attention. He made 26 points on it and won the game. I should have just let the timer run out on me.......

Anyway - still scored almost 300 points. I think everyone should try it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 07:26 pm
Ooh, I'd like to!

BETH! I haven't played you yet!

I have a smallish chunk of time now, would love to play someone.

That's as good of a reason as any to do a fast game, if I don't actually have 25 minutes.

Still interested in that duplicate thing, too. I'm pretty sure you have to select it as an option when you match someone, no idea beyond that.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 07:34 pm
I'm still breathing....
0 Replies