makemeshiver33

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 07:35 pm
Ok..someone please tell me how to message someone...if I'm NOT playing them? (besides the chat box) I can't keep the commands straight..lol
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 07:38 pm
I think you click on their name. So like go to Buddies, click on the person's name, and then select "chat" as an option from the menu.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 07:40 pm
Soz...I'm enjoying duplicate so i thought I'd get the instructions to you. It's tres simple.

What is duplicate?

The great thing about duplicate is that eliminates the luck involved in the classical game. There is no limit about number of players who can play the game. You can play it alone or there can be 100 players.

All players have the same board and the same rack. Their is a fixed amount of time for each round. During this time all players are trying to find their highest play. When the round ends the highest play found is placed on each board and players are getting new tiles. The points made by your play will be add to your score. The game continues until the tiles are over. The player who has the highest total score wins the game.

How to play duplicate

There is a duplicate game for each dictionary. Each duplicate game has its own channel where you can see when a new game starts and other announcements regarding the game. Join channel 3 if you are a TWL player, 4 - for SOWPODS, 5 - for LOC2000 and 6 - for ODS. To join channel 3 use 'channel +3'.

To start a game select from the menu Game -> Join DUPLICATE. The rules are simple: make your highest play and click DONE button. You can make multiple plays until the time for a round ends but only your last play counts.

To see the other players involved in duplicate, click Standings button. It will show you the players sorted by scores. The TOP column in this panel shows the number of best plays found by each player.

The rating system in duplicate

Each player has a duplicate rating. To get a rating when you play duplicate you must have over 3 valid plays. If you have , your rating is calculated after the formula : 2000 * your_score / top_score. So, if you did 60% of top's score you will get 60% of top's rating. This is your rating for a specific game. Your new duplicate rating will be the average rating of your last 10 games excepting the game with the worst result.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 07:47 pm
interesting....
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 08:07 pm
Thanks Sozobe
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 08:15 pm
What's the record high score for a word and for a game?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 09:11 pm
By the way I'm calling high-scoring 1 or 2 tile words "Kickies." Like, yesterday I put down a "t" and an "x" and got 37 points.

(Bill's going against someone with a 1156 rating now, ouch.)

One of my favorite games so far was against a computer with a 1,800 rating though -- I hadn't figured out ratings yet and had no idea what I was getting into, but I got great letters and didn't get beaten as soundly as you might think. (Only ~ a 100 pt differential... Shocked)
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 09:26 pm
My heroess
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 09:50 pm
OK, what do I do now?

I was away, checked back and there was a seek request from Bill (or whatever it's called), I accepted, clock's ticking, his turn, I said hello are you there (I mean he's been known to take a while, ahem) and I got this message:

"OCCOMBILL is currently involved in a game. The challenge will be delivered when OCCOMBILL is done playing."

I don't think I have time to wait and then play a game when he's done. So do I abort? How if so?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 09:55 pm
OK wait there's more, either this happened after I wrote the above or I didn't notice 'til now...

It also says:

"Game adjourned. If you do not resume it in a few minutes it will be adjudicated."

???? What should (or shouldn't) I do?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 09:56 pm
you can restart an adjucated game within 3 days.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 09:57 pm
Oh! That's cool. So just a rain check.

Thanks!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 10:03 pm
<here's hoping I'm remembering right>
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 10:29 pm
So that's why she was so interested in my game. I had no idea. lol. I scored a 167 points off the single word prograde by stretching it over two triples at once... and finished that game with over 600 points. Shocked Somebody stop me. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 10:34 pm
holy cow! I saw prograde, but couldn't sit and watch the whole game.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 10:39 pm
That game was crazy. Great letters and great spots just popped up all over the place. I just scrolled back and it was 665 points including the 10 they gave me for sticking him. Nutty. Laughing You up for one?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 10:41 pm
I don't think I've ever come close to 500 points even.

I am trying to refrain from scrabble right now - I'm on benadryl.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 09:04 am
littlek, I think you should add that statement to your signature line! Very Happy

(Hope you're feeling better.)
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 09:06 am
Way to go Bill. you've found your niche.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 10:48 am
and i've been happy with games where the combined score is over 600

Shocked

maybe i shouldn't be combining scrabble with my evening brandy
0 Replies