What, exactly, is the rationale for establishing "sanctuary cities?"

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2018 04:41 pm
@maxdancona,
No, I am being reasonable

If you feel the need to stand up to objectionable comments, that's fine, but it doesn't place an obligation on me.

I do so when I feel the need to; not when you think I should.

I'm not here to earn decent human points.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2018 04:43 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I am happy to be provoked by Layman's clearly bigoted posts (and anyone should go back and read what he actually wrote if they think I am using the word "bigoted" lightly). Layman works very well as an example. Not everyone on the other side of this issue is using racist ideas to justify their position, but some people are. I have no problem pointing that out.

Layman is doing my side a favor.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2018 04:44 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Lie down with dogs, wake up with fleas.

Layman is not helping your side of this issue. If he were on my side, I would be distancing myself from him (as I have often done with lefties on this site). But, of course, that is your call.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2018 05:02 pm
@maxdancona,
But I'm not laying down with anyone.

You seem to have a problem with the notion that the absence of a vainglorious rejection isn't necessarily agreement.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2018 05:03 pm
@maxdancona,
You think in terms of your side and the other side. I don't.
layman

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2018 05:27 pm
We're talking about Mexicans here. They're not a race (notwithstanding their racist characterization of themselves as "THE Race"), they're citizens of a foreign country. We're talking about illegals, but, as far as that goes, even the ones with green cards are Mexicans, NOT Americans.

They're citizens of a country that has expressed extreme animosity for America for over 150 years. The OWE their allegiance to Mexico, not America. If 10 million russians poured in, without us knowing a single thing about their background, their motives, their mission, their character, their nationalistic sentiments, etc., I would want all of them out too. But that's just because I'm xenophobic of course.

And they would actually be less suspicious because, the cold war notwithstanding, they don't hate us because we took all their land and have victimized (in their view) them for centuries. They don't feel that they are entitled to dominate us that and are inherently obligated to "teach us a lesson." Their chances of assimilation would be much higher--but that wouldn't matter to me. They should all be thrown out. If only one out of 1,000 were actually KGB agents, or otherwise intent on sabotage/espionage, subversion, or just hated our country and wanted to overthrow it, that's too many. NONE of them have a right to be here and they would ALL need to leave.
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2018 05:30 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:

Simply preposterous comes to mind.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2018 06:02 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I have a good record of challenging both sides.

There is a line between between reasonable debate and bigoted extremism. I point out, and challenge, extremism on either side. I think this is the right thing to do. If people challenged the extremism on their own side (instead of giving tacit approval for the sake of ideological argument) it would be a better place.

layman

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2018 06:05 pm
@maxdancona,
I challenge cheese-eatin, wherever I see it, and, God knows, I done seen plenty of it here, eh, Max?

If you're really lookin for some extreme, hateful bigotry, go find a Mexican, eh?
0 Replies

layman

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2018 06:23 pm
@maxdancona,
If I came home to my crib and found some bum sitting on my couch, eatin a ham sammich and guzzlin a Colt 45 from my fridge, I would throw his ass out in a heartbeat, even if he wasn't threatening me, and even if he "seemed" like he might be an OK perv.

I might have given him a few crumbs if he had come knockin on my door, but anyone with the audacity to bust in like that aint never gunna be trusted.

If that same bum points a gun at me and tells me it's his crib now, I wouldn't throw him out. I would just smoke his sorry ass on the spot, ya know? And, ya know what? I wouldn't give a rat's ass what his race was or what country he came from. I don't discriminate.
layman

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2018 06:39 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:
If that same bum points a gun at me and tells me it's his crib now, I wouldn't throw him out.
From the sound of it, you wouldn't throw his ass out either, eh, Max? You'd probably just ask if it was OK to get some money from your desk drawer before you left, so you could get a motel room and a meal.

Of course he's say, "OK, but make it quick, ************," and you would think he was being generous. Then, when you were almost out the door, he would go upside your sorry head with a piece of lead pipe, take all your money, roll you down your front steps, then lock the door.

If and when you came to, you would vaguely remember what happened and say to yourself: "It's my own damn fault--I shouldn't have made him mad."
0 Replies

layman

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2018 06:47 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

You seem to have a problem with the notion that the absence of a vainglorious rejection isn't necessarily agreement.

What do ya think, eh, Finn? You figure we need to become a "sanctuary country," or what?
layman

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2018 07:26 pm
Like, whooda thunk, I ax ya?

Quote:
Did You Know?
The overall crime rate in East Los Angeles is 69% higher than the national average.

For every 100,000 people, there are 13.14 daily crimes that occur in East Los Angeles.

East Los Angeles is safer than 10% of the cities in the United States.
In East Los Angeles you have a 1 in 21 chance of becoming a victim of any crime.

http://www.areavibes.com/east+los+angeles-ca/crime/

Quote:
Did You Know?

The overall crime rate in South Central Los Angeles is 56% higher than the national average.

For every 100,000 people, there are 12.13 daily crimes that occur in South Cental Los Angeles.

South Central Los Angeles is safer than 24% of the cities in the California.

In South Central Los Angeles you have a 1 in 23 chance of becoming a victim of any crime.

http://www.areavibes.com/los+angeles-ca/south+los+angeles/crime/

There's been an ongoing debate about whether South Central LA or The Chicago South Side is the "gang capital" of the country, ya know? It seems that they may have forgot about East LA.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2018 07:35 pm
Fortunately for them, the Crips and the Bloods have found a common enemy and don't kill as many of each other as they used to, eh?

Quote:
Gang rivalry grows into race war

Over the years, the two rival gangs have battled over control of the drug trade in Florence-Firestone, an unincorporated neighborhood north of Watts.

The feud has escalated into what many residents call a race war.

It used to be that innocent bystanders were not targeted, said Chris Le Grande, pastor of Great Hope Fellowship in Faith, one of Florence-Firestone's largest black churches. "Now it's deliberate. 'I'm deliberately shooting you because of your color.' "

On Tuesday, the U.S. attorney's office announced a sweeping indictment against more than 60 members of Florencia 13, accusing the Latino gang of waging a violent campaign to drive out African American rivals. Once primarily black, the working class community of 60,000 today is mostly Latino.

http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-firestone18oct18-story.html

"Once primarily black, the working class community of 60,000 today is mostly Latino."

Well, that's one (of many) city down, but there's plenty more to conquer, eh? Especially those comprised of the even more hated group of Americans, the gringos.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2018 07:38 pm
@maxdancona,
Good for you max.

You are one of the more fair-minded liberals in this forum but you seem to crave recognition for stating the obvious.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2018 08:43 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
What I crave is engagement with people outside of my bubble who can explore ideas on both sides in a way that is deeper than partisan talking points. People who can find valid points on more than one side of an issue have my respect.

That is what I am really looking for.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2018 08:50 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

What do ya think, eh, Finn? You figure we need to become a "sanctuary country," or what?

I tried to help ya get the presumably "moderate" assessment and evaluation of this whole sorry-ass deal from Finn, eh, Max, but it looks like he aint gunna give it to ya.

Kinda like you, eh? I notice that you have made no attempt to justify your feeble-ass argument that States have the RIGHT to defy federal law, because "that's democracy," after being confronted with the unassailable facts of the matter, eh? Nor have you advanced any new arguments. You don't seem so anxious to engage in rational debate after all. You just want to express your desires with the typical cheese-eating presumption that you are ENTITLED to get whatever you want.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2018 09:23 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
There is a line between between reasonable debate and bigoted extremism.

Well, in the interest of reasonable debate, what are the reasons for immigration laws?
maxdancona

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2018 10:08 pm
@Glennn,
Ok Glenn, there are two ways to understand that question.

1. The immigration laws are as they are because of politics. You have several ideologies that have worked over the past 100 years in a push and pull that have brought us to the mishmash of immigration laws we have today. We can discuss this if you want to go the historical route.

2. If you are asking on a philosophical level, that would also be interesting. The fact is that the US had practically open borders for the first 100 years and the first immigration laws were called the Asian Exclusion Act.

In my opinion the best reasons for immigration laws are economic. Building a.vibrant multi-erhnic society and being humane to refugees and.families important.

Of.course these are my values.and values are personal.
layman

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2018 10:11 pm
@layman,
Them's just the facts, Max

Quote:
I had been writing about gangs in Los Angeles since 2004, when, after 10 years as a writer in Mexico, I’d returned home to take a job with the Los Angeles Times. My reporting took me into scores of working-class neighborhoods and cities within Southern California, places like Pacoima, Watts, Azusa, Hawaiian Gardens, Florence-Firestone, and Harbor Gateway.

Gangs ravaged all these locales. Walls were covered with graffiti. Shootings were constant. In many of these neighborhoods, Latino gangs had taken to attacking and killing random black civilians, turning themselves into the leading regional perpetrators of race-hate crime.

Several years ago, I spent a couple of days in the Florence-Firestone neighborhood, in an unincorporated part of Los Angeles County, interviewing some Florencia 13 gang members. One nearby garage was never free of graffiti for more than a few minutes a week. (This was the amount of time it took after the graffiti clean-up truck left for the 76th Street clique of Florencia 13 to re-deface the thing.)

In the 1990s, members of the Mexican Mafia ordered Latino street gangs to stop drive-by shootings. They also ordered gangs to start taxing drug dealers in their neighborhoods and kicking the proceeds to Mexican Mafia members and their associates. That system created the first region-wide crime syndicate in Southern California history, turning scruffy neighborhood street gangs into tax collectors and enforcers. (As M is the 13th letter of the alphabet, many gangs took the number 13 as a symbol of their obedience to the Mexican Mafia.)

Since 2006, there have been more than two dozen RICO indictments in Southern California, targeting Florencia 13, Hawaiian Gardens (HG-13), Azusa 13, Five-Deuce Broadway Gangster Crips, Pueblo Bishop Bloods, and many more of the region’s most entrenched and violent gangs. Most of the indictments have dozens of defendants; the Florencia case had 102, while Hawaiian Gardens, in 2009, was one of the largest street-gang indictments in U.S. history, with 147.

Meanwhile, Latino home-buyers have been replacing black populations in Inglewood, Compton, and South Central Los Angeles. Like many other migrant groups, blacks have moved out, to the Inland Empire, 50 miles east of downtown Los Angeles, or to Las Vegas, or to the South. Compton, the birthplace of gangster rap, was once 73 percent black and is now nearly 70 percent Latino. This has often meant that Latino gangs replaced black gangs, and, while that might seem like nothing more than one violent group displacing another, the central role of the Mexican Mafia has often made these newer gangs easier to prosecute.

https://psmag.com/social-justice/the-end-of-gangs-los-angeles-southern-california-epidemic-crime-95498

The blacks have just about all been eliminated. Time to concentrate on the gringos now, eh?

0 Replies