The role of vigilante justice in political or social movements.

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2018 07:30 pm
This came up in a political thread, but I am interested in the topic from a historical context.

Are there any political or social movements in our history that have relied on vigilantism? There have been periods of vigilantism (anti-immigrant episodes, Joseph McCarthy)... but I can't think of any of them that are now considered to have had a positive lasting impact.

Any ideas?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 794 • Replies: 3
No top replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2018 02:09 am
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/dc/Battle-of-Cable-Street-red-plaque.png/220px-Battle-of-Cable-Street-red-plaque.png
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2018 02:10 am
@maxdancona,
The kkk and the nazis
have had a negative impact that has lasted quite some time.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2018 06:41 pm
There is a wacky far-left college in the US where liberal students were terrorizing everyone with false accusations of racism and officials did nothing to rein them in.

Far right vigilantes showed up and showered the campus with a deluge of death threats. This forced officials to shut down the campus freak show.

I don't know if these far right vigilantes will have a lasting impact, but their impact certainly was positive. We need more of this sort of thing in America.

The PBS NewsHour did a piece on it a week or so ago:

0 Replies