Brain Disease

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2018 05:42 pm
What causes alzheimer's, parkinson's, autism and a host of other brain disorders?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,291 • Replies: 28
No top replies

jerlands

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2018 05:54 pm
Ok.. I have an opinion, however as of yet I haven't seen anything that expresses a complete understanding. The brain is about 60% fat and it's hypothesised if we don't consume the right type of fats this leads to brain disorder.
0 Replies

jerlands

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2018 05:59 pm

0 Replies

jerlands

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2018 08:56 pm

0 Replies

jerlands

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2018 09:14 pm
Here's a link to the series if anyone's interested.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2018 01:14 pm
Well, I've heard the brain needs 3 tablespoons of butter a day to remain healthy.

That sounds plausible and gives me an excuse.
jerlands

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2018 03:08 pm
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:

Well, I've heard the brain needs 3 tablespoons of butter a day to remain healthy.

That sounds plausible and gives me an excuse.

Before you start experimenting on yourself you might gain some better insight... such as not combining fats with carbs i.e., buttered bread... Also, the quality of the food is very important.
0 Replies

jerlands

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2018 04:52 pm
@PUNKEY,
Here's a discussion that kinda' illustrates the broad scope that's being explored.

chai2

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2018 06:08 pm
@jerlands,
https://able2know.org/topic/351222-1
jerlands

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2018 06:18 pm
@chai2,
I didn't read the whole thing but make life easy on yourself. Eliminate wheat. Eat a diet rich in leafy greens (whole array,) onions, garlic and include sweet potatoes, good healthy fats (select nuts and seeds, avocado, olive oil, coconut oil, wild caught salmon.) It's important to be tested properly because we're individuals.. what's good for one may not be right for another. See a functional (integrative) medical practitioner, get tested then consult a functional medical nutritionist for best results.
jerlands

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2018 06:24 pm
@chai2,
Actually, you can go to Dr. Gundry's channel on YouTube and pick up a lot of insight. However, Integrative Medicine by definition evolves as greater insight develops but it's a good starting point.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2018 06:41 pm
@jerlands,
jerlands wrote:

I didn't read the whole thing

Well then you need to go back and read the whole thing before you start commenting.
jerlands

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2018 06:43 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

jerlands wrote:

I didn't read the whole thing

Well then you need to go back and read the whole thing before you start commenting.

Umm, why? Seems droll to me? What's the punch line?
chai2

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2018 08:00 pm
@jerlands,
Oh.

So you want to be able to post links, and opine on what others should do, without investing a few minutes learning what other people may already know?

You want to read one or two posts of someone and proclaim them "droll", or uninformed, etc., without seeing it through to a point where you may actual realize others have investigated the very thing you're talking about?

You want others to read what you have to say, but are unwilling to read their thoughts?

You don't want to risk actually learning something through someone else.

You've said you want to "discuss" things in another posts, but apparantly not if you have to put forth any effort other than wagging your own tongue.

Read what someone else has said in it's entirety, and note the timelines, before making a further ass of yourself.

jerlands

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2018 08:59 pm
@chai2,
just get off the wheat and it might help.
chai2

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2018 09:51 pm
@jerlands,
Not just wheat. Carbohydrates.

You know, I actually have nothing against you, or your information.

It's your idea that no one here has ever had this tought, read this information, or already follows it.

I doubt you've yet to read the other thread entirely, and followed its links.

You're too absorbed with feeling you're the bringer of information that has only been discovered by you.

It actually would be interesting to discuss nutrition, by you have to do your part by listening to others as well, and stop thinking others just need to listen to you.

Perhaps this is why so few people respond to you.

I know I'm not going to, at least unless you show signs of reciprocating by fully listening to what others say.

Good day.
chai2

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2018 10:21 pm
@chai2,
In fact, your Dr. Gundry has the same opinion as runs through my thread about the benefits of, and how to do a ketogenic diet right.

But you would know that if you bothered to read it through.

People do confuse paleo and ketogenic diets. The difference on paper is small, but in reality, is important. I personally couldn't follow a paleo diet long term. I enjoy a keto diet.

I am in some disagreement as to his macros.

He talks in the video about of following a 80/10/10 - Fat/Protein/Carb.
I feel best following a 70-75/15-20/10 macro.

I don't count macros religiously any more. I found if I eat only or mostly above the ground vegetables, plenty of fat from both plant and animal sources, the protein falls into line naturally.

I have read Dr. Perlmutter book, Brain Drain, and while there are many good points, I found him a bit lacking.

I prefer Dr. Jason Fungs videos.
jerlands

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2018 10:51 pm
@chai2,
Ok.. you got me.. everything you've posted is in step with what I think as progressive medicine. However, it is an evolving science and what I do appreciate about Integrative Medicine is their integrity with Translational Research. They pretty much ride on the cutting edge and I believe this mini-series on the "Broken Brain" may offer a few gems worth grabbing. For all of us...
I'm also happy to see others in this groove...
0 Replies

jerlands

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2018 12:11 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

I enjoy a keto diet.

I should mention that a ketogenic diet is very controversial even though proven effect for mitochondrial health and cancer therapy. The problem with the Ketogenic diet is you need to do it correctly or it can be damaging and is probably best implemented supervised. The idea is to go in and out of ketosis, not to stay in it.
chai2

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2018 11:12 am
@jerlands,
You know, I would really like to learn more about you by you sharing your actual real life experiences rather than just providing links and videos, and making proclaimations as to what is controversial and dangerous, and doing that without citing sources.

Damaging in what way? I hope you're not talking about ketoacidosis, which some uninformed nutritionists and other health care people point to.
Many people confuse ketosis with ketoacidosis, which is an extreme and rare form of ketosis almost always experienced by diabetics, which can put them into kidney failure.

Not something your average person would experience....ever.

It's one thing jerlands, to pretend that people live in laboratory conditions as far as what they eat, and what people experience on a day to day basis.

In real life, you more or less float in and out of ketosis without even being aware of it. All it takes might be an extra large serving of brussel sprouts, or eating some carrots mixed in with your broccoli, while at the same time eating a big salad with a lot of onions and red bell pepper. Hardly something that needs to be supervised.

How do I personally know at any given time is I am officially in ketosis? Short answer is, "I don't".
The only sure way to know is through blood testing, which is pricey. The keto pee sticks aren't that acurate. Also, over the long run, you loose interest in monitoring every bite of food, and move on to the business of enjoying life.
I do know without having to waste money on testing that when in mild ketosis, which is the aim, that I experience a general feeling of well being both physically and mentally. Hunger isn't experienced as a sudden feeling, and can be ignored if you're busy, confident that your body has plenty of fat stores that will keep you going more efficiently that glucose.

As far as calling this "cutting edge" science, sure, the chemical interactions actually being observed and the fact they are being recorded is new. However, in actual practice, it's no more than eating like people more or less did pre-1950's or mostly how people ate during the 1800's and before that, and how all humans ate before the development of agriculture.

The reality is, people through most of our existance had lived in a state of ketosis most of the time. Also fasting for various lengths of time.

Only it wasn't called going out of ketosis, or fasting. It was called "Hey, berries are in season!" or "I found a beehive and it's got honey in it" Or "We didn't kill anything today (or even yesterday) on our hunt"

So be specific and say what is controversial, and the source of that controversy.

Considering that the brain works more efficiently on ketones and the body utilizes fat as a clean burning fuel, and that carbs overwork the liver and pancreas because we didn't evolve to handle the overload we have today, and it lowers our lipids because we use the fat we eat rather than store it, what are the dangers? Especially considering that we don't live in lab conditions, and unless you are obsessed with weighing out every gram of food, you body either stays near the border of ketosis more often than delves deep into it.

Hey, sometimes you just choose to have that slice of pizza. Problem solved.

So, what's your personal human being experience with all this?