A2K and The Possible Blizzard of 2005

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 08:30 pm
Anyone here from MA drive on the highways today?

I have an appointment in CT tomorrow at 11am, I think I'm going to reschedule.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 08:41 pm
what kind of pussy are you? jezus H. get yer car out and drive to Connecticut.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 08:42 pm
I haven't, but I know that on cape cod the highway isn't expected to be fully cleared until sometime tonight. I'd say go if it's Northern CT, don't go if you have to get through Hartford.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 08:42 pm
the idjits we saw at 1:45 AM. Oy!
for about 2 hours on saturday night (1-3:00am), there were 2 guys outside "belly-boarding" on our street.
(dunno if this 'sport' has a name, but that's what jespah called it...)

one guy would flag down a car -- usually a cab; there weren't too many cars... sometimes a plow.
he'd talk to the driver for a minute.
while he was talking, his pal would sneak up behind the car, stretch out on his belly, and grab the fender.
when the car would start to drive away, the talker would join his buddy and they'd go for a ride down the street...

visibility was like 5 feet.
snow everywhere.
and these 2 shite-4-brains are having a blast.
i'm pretty sure they took some liquid courage beforehand.
lotsa liquid courage...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 08:54 pm
We used to bumper-ski - same idea, but in a semi-squat.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 08:56 pm
Reg, that's a riot, I've never heard of that. The boy's around here used to bumper ski.

I guess, you run up to a slow moving vehicle, grab the bumper, and ski.

I'm told it's fun.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 09:03 pm
Very dangerous but fun, yes.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 09:09 pm
I've done plenty of stupid things, but I've never been dumb enough to slide along the back of a car.

Trucks, however...
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 09:18 pm
Yeh, now, trucks make sense. You can stand up straight and snowplane. None of this flat-on-your-belly crap for me.
0 Replies

Don77

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 09:27 pm
Quote:
Anyone here from MA drive on the highways today?

I have an appointment in CT tomorrow at 11am, I think I'm going to reschedule.

If your going the pike,, No problem, I was on the pike this morning at 7:30am it was dry,, depending what part of CT your heading too I would think you would be fine,
I will give them that they always do a great job of getting the pike cleaned, Almost makes me feel like giving the toll taker a tip Very Happy

Of course if you finished digging out your car Laughing
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 11:36 pm
I feel for those toll-takers when it's winter....
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 05:15 am
Got a little bit more last night here in Gotham City.

Today begins the Slush Olympics. Yea!! See the big guy try the hop skips and skid method of getting through the seven inches of ice water at the intersection.

Watch as the briefcase toting lawyer in the long black skirt attempts the high jump over the snow bank to the cab! (oooooh, that's a two point deduction for sliding under the vehicle, Bob.)

Enjoy the gentle rush as the slush fills your left shoe as you try to extricate your right from the blackened frozen sludge in front of Starbucks. (I only wanted to get a Chantico before work.)

Hey, and more snow tomorrow kids.

Joe (I'll dig your car out for a million dollars) Nation
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 09:22 am
We're expecting another 6 inches tomorrow.

I have only left my house for shovelling - still! I'll go out today as I have an unexpected day off. I think I'll go to the buddhist cafe.

Little(I'll dig your car out for 50!)k
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 09:28 am
Ok, you Bostonians got more snow than we did. A lot more snow.

I am going to quit bitching now....my car looked like that after the snow plow but not before. Yikes.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 09:29 am
Joe Nation wrote:
Got a little bit more last night here in Gotham City.

Today begins the Slush Olympics. Yea!! See the big guy try the hop skips and skid method of getting through the seven inches of ice water at the intersection.

Watch as the briefcase toting lawyer in the long black skirt attempts the high jump over the snow bank to the cab! (oooooh, that's a two point deduction for sliding under the vehicle, Bob.)

Enjoy the gentle rush as the slush fills your left shoe as you try to extricate your right from the blackened frozen sludge in front of Starbucks. (I only wanted to get a Chantico before work.)

Hey, and more snow tomorrow kids.

Joe (I'll dig your car out for a million dollars) Nation

Laughing The slush aftermath is even worse than the digging out, getting stuck snow storm. Laughing
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 09:41 am
We haven't had warm enough temps to make all that mush slush. We have snow pulp, but no liquid water.

Cape Cod, Plymouth, got over 3 feet - in 24 hours!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 09:46 am
My heart is just bleeding for you guys. I guess everyone can't move away to escape the snow and cold but, I'M SURE GLAD THAT I DID!!!

My cousin and her mother, my aunt, moved to Texas from Chicago a few years ago and my aunt hates it so much that she was romanticizing about the snow the other night on the phone, actually missing it. I told her that the Texas sun must have fried her brain. How do you miss shoveling and sliding around in your car and watching others slide around and everywhere you go, it's a major hassle to get in and out, never knowing where or when you're gonna get stuck. And we won't even go into having to trudge through it for months on end.

I wouldn't wish it on a dog.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 09:51 am
I kinda like it. I'm sore, I'm stuck, I'm liking it. The part I really don't like is the people with bad snow etiquette. We sit here and watch people shovelling out their cars. Toyota guy shovels snow into neighbor's driveway, neighbor shovels snow back onto Toyota guy's car. Honda chick shovels snow into street, snow plow plows snow back up against Honda chick's car.......

Not to mention my private world of snow wars. I have off-street parking (thank god!). My building has 4 spots on one side of the lot and the other side of the lot is managaed by slum-lord real estate agency. We own the driveway portion of the lot. We shovel our own, they hire out. No one knows where to draw the line - how far into the middle to shovel. We diod ours first this time around and then they shovelled all the snow into an island in the middle of the lot. They had tocome back and remove that.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 11:02 am
Because the weather has been too chilly for salt or melt to work, I've been trapped in the house since Saturday.

There are bits of ice under the pure, driven snow and given the little peculiarities of my bones I don't do invisible bits of ice.

Temperatures will be up to 28 degrees today--this is hopeful.

The local red bellied woodpecker is paying frequent visits to the suet--as are the chickadees, titmice, nuthatches, hairy and downy woodpeckers.

Goldfinches don't like suet.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 11:19 am
We've finally got a sunny, warmish day today and our Chicagoland weather usually gets to the northeast a couple days later. I'll try to send it on quickly.

They're measuring 8" on the ground at O'Hare, down from 15 on Saturday so it's going down quickly here. I was able to walk outside today, the roads are fairly clear.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 05:25:01