A2K and The Possible Blizzard of 2005

Noddy24

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 08:37 am
Snow has started in the Poconos, the very small, fine flakes that bode sizable accumulation.

Depending on which forecast I choose to believe we're in for either 6 to 12 inches or 12 to 18 inches.

Are you in the track of the storm? Are you prepared? Resigned? Determined to Ignore Unpleasant Facts of Life by hitting the highways?

Snow has started in the Poconos. What's your winter weather?

Southerners are welcome to gloat.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 12,675 • Replies: 412
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 08:47 am
It is expected to go down to 29 degrees in the Tampa area Sunday night. That is as cold as I would ever want it to be, thank you. Brrrr! Laughing
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 08:50 am
We've got about 6 inches of snow on the ground and a lot more expected. Plus that great stuff, sleet and freezing rain. PLUS winds of up to 45 miles an hour later. So we're on cottonwood watch again (worried about giant braches falling, especially if we get an ice/ high winds combo.)

Just had a birthday party canceled, thank goodness -- wasn't looking forward to going out in this.

Gorgeous, though!
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 08:52 am
62 degrees currently; overcast skies, humidity 100%.

Supposed to get down to freezing tonight, though.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 08:55 am
about 6" of great fluffy snow on the ground right now. it started coming down around midnight. it's quite lovely, but i'm not forward to driving to a concert in it tonight.

temp's about -12 celsius, with a windchill of -27 celsius

given how cold it was earlier this week, that seems positively balmy. really.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 09:02 am
Not so bad here. Take a look in this :webcam tour Eiffel
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 09:05 am
It is strangely warm here. So warm, in fact, that the ski resorts on Mt. Hood have closed for lack of snow.

There is only about a 10 degree difference between our highs and lows - with an average of about 45 degrees.

Nice, jackety weather.

Be careful out there, Noddy.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 09:08 am
Oy vey. Nothing here yet but it's coming, according to the Weather Channel the snow will start by 5 PM or so (it's currently just after 10 AM here). Per the Weather Channel's Blizzard Warning:

Quote:
THE HEIGHT OF THE STORM WILL OCCUR TONIGHT THROUGH MOST OF SUNDAY MORNING... ESPECIALLY RIGHT ALONG THE COAST AND ON CAPE COD AND THE ISLANDS. SNOW WILL LIKELY FALL AT THE RATE OF 3 INCHES PER HOUR FOR SEVERAL HOURS OVERNIGHT. STRONG NORTHEAST WINDS WILL INCREASE TO OVER 35 MPH FOR A TIME TONIGHT AND EARLY SUNDAY... WITH GUSTS CLOSE TO 50 MPH. THIS WILL CAUSE BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW WITH WHITEOUT CONDITIONS AT TIMES.

THE SNOW WILL TAPER OFF TO SNOW SHOWERS ACROSS INLAND AREAS SUNDAY MORNING... PUSHING TO THE COAST BY MIDDAY SUNDAY. HOWEVER... LIGHTER SNOW WILL CONTINUE ALONG THE COAST AND ON CAPE COD AND THE ISLANDS THROUGH A GOOD PORTION OF SUNDAY.

TOTAL ACCUMULATIONS WILL BE ON THE ORDER OF 20 TO 30 INCHES... WITH THE HIGHEST AMOUNTS ALONG THE IMMEDIATE MASSACHUSETTS COAST AS WELL AS ON CAPE COD AND THE ISLANDS. ADDITIONAL SNOWFALL IS POSSIBLE TO CONTINUE ON THE CAPE AND ISLANDS INTO SUNDAY NIGHT.

I'm glad we went food shopping yesterday; I imagine people are fighting over the last loaves of bread and the like. Gah!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 09:11 am
http://image.weather.com/images/maps/current/curwx_600x405.jpg
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 09:19 am
Jespah said "I'm glad we went food shopping yesterday; I imagine people are fighting over the last loaves of bread and the like. Gah!"

They do that up there, too? I thought it was just a southern thing. I don't remember doing that when I was growing up in the midwest. Figured those that get more of it are used to it and know how to drive in it, so they don't have to panic over getting a loaf of bread.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 09:24 am
Not yet but the promise that it will start in the early afternoon with 12-18 inches of the white stuff. It's times like this that I am glad to be retired.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 09:25 am
Oh, that's a big time winter sport around here. Why everyone has the urge for french toast right before a blizzard, I'll never know, but they all fight over bread, milk and eggs and not much else. Wacky.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 09:28 am
http://www.theweathernetwork.com/common/images/wskies/r.jpg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 09:33 am
man oh man

i love the weather network

the 30 centimetres (12 inches) are on top of the 6 - 9 inches we've already got

i suppose i should put on socks and boots and start shovelling while it's still fluffy

Quote:
Severe weather bulletin

ISSUED BY ENVIRONMENT CANADA
AT 8:39 AM EST SATURDAY 22 JANUARY 2005.
WATCHES/WARNINGS IN EFFECT FOR SOUTHERN ONTARIO...

WIND CHILL WARNING FOR:
=NEW= NEWMARKET - GEORGINA - NORTHERN YORK REGION
=NEW= PICKERING - OSHAWA - SOUTHERN DURHAM REGION
=NEW= UXBRIDGE - BEAVERTON - NORTHERN DURHAM REGION
=NEW= DUFFERIN - INNISFIL
=NEW= BARRIE - ORILLIA - MIDLAND
=NEW= BELLEVILLE - QUINTE - NORTHUMBERLAND
=NEW= KINGSTON - PRINCE EDWARD
=NEW= PETERBOROUGH - KAWARTHA LAKES
=NEW= STIRLING - TWEED - SOUTH FRONTENAC.

WIND CHILL VALUES MINUS 30 TO MINUS 35 TODAY AND TONIGHT.

THIS IS A WARNING THAT EXTREME WIND CHILL CONDITIONS ARE
IMMINENT OR OCCURRING IN THESE REGIONS. MONITOR WEATHER
CONDITIONS..LISTEN FOR UPDATED STATEMENTS.

HEAVY SNOWFALL WARNING FOR:
CITY OF TORONTO
WINDSOR - ESSEX - CHATHAM-KENT
SARNIA - LAMBTON
ELGIN
LONDON - MIDDLESEX
SIMCOE - DELHI - NORFOLK
DUNNVILLE - CALEDONIA - HALDIMAND
OXFORD - BRANT
NIAGARA
CITY OF HAMILTON
HALTON - PEEL
VAUGHAN - RICHMOND HILL - MARKHAM
KITCHENER - CAMBRIDGE - REGION OF WATERLOO
GUELPH - ERIN - SOUTHERN WELLINGTON COUNTY.

15 LOCALLY UP TO 30 CENTIMETRES OF SNOW ENDING FROM WEST TO
EAST THIS AFTERNOON AND TONIGHT.

THIS IS A WARNING THAT HEAVY SNOW IS IMMINENT OR OCCURRING IN THESE REGIONS. MONITOR WEATHER CONDITIONS..LISTEN FOR UPDATED STATEMENTS.

==DISCUSSION==
A VIGOROUS STORM OVER OHIO AROUND 8.30 AM WILL TRACK SOUTHEASTWARD SOUTH OF THE LOWER GREAT LAKES TODAY. IN ADDITION A SNOWSQUALL OFF THE WESTERN END OF LAKE ONTARIO IS CAUSING WHITEOUT CONDITIONS IN HEAVY SNOW TO PARTS OF DOWNTOWN TORONTO.

SNOW IN ADVANCE OF THIS SYSTEM HAS MOVED INTO SOUTHWESTERN ONTARIO AND WILL SPREAD EASTWARD THIS MORNING.

REGIONS NEAR LAKE ERIE AND THE WEST END OF LAKE ONTARIO WILL BE CLOSER TO THE TRACK OF THE LOW AND RECEIVE SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF LAKE ENHANCED SNOW. LOCAL SNOWSQUALLS OFF THE WESTERN END OF LAKE ONTARIO WILL DROP SOUTHWARD INTO HAMILTON AND THE NIAGARA PENINSULA AS THIS SYSTEM MOVES EAST OF THE LOWER GREAT LAKES.

GENERAL AMOUNTS OF 15 CENTIMETRES ARE EXPECTED WITH AS MUCH AS 30 CENTIMETRES NEAR THE WESTERN END OF LAKE ONTARIO. THE SNOW WILL END LATER TODAY OVER MOST REGIONS HOWEVER SNOWSQUALLS WILL LINGER OVER THE NIAGARA PENINSULA TONIGHT.

SNOWSQUALLS MAY DEVELOP IN THE NORTHERLY FLOW OFF LAKE HURON IN THE WAKE OF THIS DISTURBANCE.

STRONG NORTHERLY WINDS WILL APPROACH WARNING CRITERIA OF SUSTAINED WINDS TO 60 KM/H BRIEFLY ACROSS TORONTO ISLAND AND ACROSS AND SOUTH OF LAKE ONTARIO. IN ADDITION WIND CHILL VALUES WILL APPROACH WARNING CRITERIA OF MINUS 30 TO NEAR BLIZZARD CONDITIONS IN SOME LOCALITIES BETWEEN THE UPPER AND LOWER GREAT LAKES.

WIND CHILL VALUES HAVE ALREADY REACHED THE MINUS 30 TO MINUS 35 RANGE FOR REGIONS FROM SOUTHERN GEORGIAN BAY TO EASTERN LAKE ONTARIO. THESE EXTREME VALUES WILL PERSIST TODAY AND TONIGHT.

GUSTY WINDS PARTICULARLY IN THE WAKE OF THIS STORM WILL CAUSE REDUCED VISIBILITY IN BLOWING SNOW. USE EXTRA CAUTION WHEN TRAVELLING.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 09:52 am
Noddy, you take care and keep us posted if you can. Them Canucks are used to the breath of bitter weather and snow, ain't 'ya ehBeth. Frankly, I would like to see the white stuff (at a distance, of course). Didn't I see something about an Alberta Clipper? In Texas they have blue northers, and here they have nor'easters and big old wind tunnels.

What a year for the world, folks.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 09:55 am
pssssssssst Letty

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1139166#1139166

:wink:
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 10:05 am
jespah wrote:
Oh, that's a big time winter sport around here. Why everyone has the urge for french toast right before a blizzard, I'll never know, but they all fight over bread, milk and eggs and not much else. Wacky.

You one crever dumpling!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 10:06 am
One inch of snow in North Carolina and the whole state is paralyzed...visions of Bear spinning off the interstate.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 10:22 am
Oh, my gawd, ehBeth, you and Mr. Dimples are delightful. You pretty thing. I'd would say that Set is one lucky lad. Very Happy
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 10:48 am
I think the people who charge off to the grocery stores on the eve of a storm are more interested in becoming a part of a national event rather than in being able to make French toast.

Compounding the usual Friday night shopping traffic in PA was the combination of a Saturday storm and a Sunday football play-offs featuring both the Steelers and the Eagles.

Meanwhile, the snow is falling....
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » A2K and The Possible Blizzard of 2005
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/23/2024 at 03:48:58