A2K and The Possible Blizzard of 2005

au1929

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 10:48 am
Here we go the first flakes are starting to fall.
0 Replies

Don77

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 10:49 am
Quote:
Figured those that get more of it are used to it and know how to drive in it,

You would think,,, But I was just at the gas station pulling the in dash out of my sons car for him, ( his poor car bite the big one ) I was amazed at the lines of people gassing up, I m figuring being from Mass all my life and driving with the kind hearted souls here with a few inches of snow on the ground ( you see their heads tipped to the right while driving,, means their brains just fell out ) If we get what they are calling for I don't think a full tank of gas will do them any good, They wont be venturing out till Monday the earliest Laughing

And of all things just got a call for my daughters hockey game, cancelled already ????? hmmm looking out the winda and no snow yet
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 10:52 am
I'm having a yen for coffee cake.
The one kind of thing I don't have in the house.

Shocked

I am not going out there til I have to.

A friend is on standby, waiting to hear that her 6th grandchild has been born. What a day to have to go to the hospital.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 10:54 am
Doh! I should go shopping, eh? I guess I am too used to snow storms to be worried. I have some food. I have some cans of soup. I should go and buy some stuff, but being in the city, food is always close at hand if I need it.

Oddly, this storm, like the two previous storms, are going to hit Cape Cod harder than the mainland - highly unusual. I wonder if this changing pattern is long-term.

I also wonder if it has to do with the polar ice cap melt. I read in some magazine that the melting fresh water is laying atop the warm gulf current which usually keeps the coastal areas of New England more temperate than the inland. The gulf stream also keeps europe more mild in the winter.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 11:01 am
littlek wrote:
The gulf stream also keeps europe more mild in the winter.

Europe is milder these last years, which probably means gulf stream still at (good) work!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 11:28 am
bitterly cold in eastern ontario - just came back from a short shopping excursion - it's still minus 22 C(windchill minus 34 C). it has been cold all week, but it's supposed to moderate by the middle of next week. we don't expect more than about 3 to 4 inches of snow; most of the snow is heading across lake ontario towards new york state. we've got tickets for the musical " crazy for you" for this afternoon; so we'll go out for an afternoon of entertainment . the show is being put on by students and staff from queen's university and has had a good review in the local paper. next week we'll be seeing "a midsummernight's dream" . it's a full blown production with actors from the st. lawrence playhouse, the kingston symphony and local choir - should be a lot of fun. early february the queen's university will be puttting on "an evening in vienna" - so lots of entertainment coming up. oh yes, later in february a big band/jazz concert with kingston symphony and queen's jazz band. we'll be swinging from the rafters ! hbg
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 11:29 am
Don77 wrote:

And of all things just got a call for my daughters hockey game, cancelled already ????? hmmm looking out the winda and no snow yet

Todays events started being cancelled here last night before any snow started to fall also. Good thing too. Been horrible here all day.

Can stand at my kitchen window and my pond is not visible ...and my bird feeders barely visible. The feeders are about 15 feet out.

Sure is pretty out though. I got my first smile of the day watching my black labs jumping up and down in it...then chasing each other. Very Happy

Not alot of plans today since I can't get out. Being lazy...maybe doing some drawing or whatever I find to get into.

The hot chocolates on, the bars stocked, the fire's cracklin in the fireplace .....for whomever wants to come over!
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 11:29 am
We were bracing for Strike 3 (nearly 20" before Christmas & then last week's ice storm=no power for 5 1/2 days) but I'm cautiously optimistic that this storm was overrated for this area. The radar shows us in the "eye" of the storm right now (the sun is shining) with only about 3" or 4" on the ground. The backside of the low is ready to move through with whatever that brings, but I won't be upset if Mama Nature saves it all for you French toast-munchers out East. (BTW, no Frenchtoast here, just tollhouse cookies.
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 11:33 am
Hmmmm NW Ohio has not been that lucky. We are getting heavy bands of wrap around snow right now. NE Ohio is normally the snow belt, so I would not stop counting inches yet. The worst thing around here is the wind. Causing massive white-outs...ground blizzard conditions.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 11:34 am
Don77 wrote:

....I was amazed at the lines of people gassing up, I m figuring being from Mass all my life and driving with the kind hearted souls here with a few inches of snow on the ground ( you see their heads tipped to the right while driving,, means their brains just fell out )....

HAHA!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 11:35 am
the dogs just had to make a new trail in the backyard

the one from about 2 hours ago was buried Shocked

i'm in the white-out area noted in the environment canada weather warning
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 11:37 am
Columbus is calm, not much happening -- not nearly as much as I expected, anyway. Winter storm warning was canceled.

That's good, right? (Why am I a smidgeon disappointed?)
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 11:37 am
Possible blizzard? Possible my ass! It's here right now! It's been snowing for about a half hour and the sidewalks are already covered. Thank god I got my ass up and got food in time. You should have seen the freakin' lines in the grocery stores!
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 11:38 am
Brooke: North central Ohio would be more accurate (Mansfield-area) I grew up in NW Ohio ... where are you from, if you don't mind me asking?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 11:39 am
Kicky's Can is all a flutter. Reminds you of school's cancelled? Oh no....it's Saturday!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 11:39 am
We have a winter weather warning in affect from 4pm today to 6pm tomorrow!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 11:41 am
I'm all set, actually. I got me a couple Italian movies, some good food, and a window to watch the snow from. I'm toasty and warm.
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 11:44 am
WhoodaThunk wrote:
Brooke: North central Ohio would be more accurate (Mansfield-area) I grew up in NW Ohio ... where are you from, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm about 6 miles outside of Findlay....40 miles from Toledo.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 11:45 am
And out here, the only white we see is the leaves from
the cherry tree blossoms.

I hope everyone stays warm and comfortably at home.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 11:50 am
and in spite of all the weather warnings and all that jazz ... I'm so glad it's a big snow ... now it feels like a proper winter again
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 06/15/2024 at 11:30:49