Is this a migraine?

Linkat

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 12:19 pm
I woke up very early morning with the awful sharp pain on the left side of head near my temple. It lasted maybe 5 – 10 minutes and I could not do anything but close my eyes and lay down and hope and pray for the pain to go away. On a rare occasion I have had similar headaches, usually not lasting very long, but not quite as intense as this one. I do have very extreme stress at work right now and to top it off, my little 2 year old had a temperature the other day and was up several times during the night. Is this a migraine, stress headache or what? And is there something to prevent it (that I can actually do – can’t really reduce my stress right now). Just thinking of it is bringing a similar headache to me right now, but not nearly as intense.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,049 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Magus

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 04:56 pm
Linnie... that pain may be indicative of a dental problem or an ear infection.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 05:55 pm
There is another type of headache called a cluster headache. I believe it's in the migraine family. a cluster headache will come on suddenly and affect one area of the head, very painful and usually accompanied with some throbbing. They can be of short duration, but that's small comfort if you are having one. You should check with your doctor if these pains persit. It could just be a matter of stress, dental problem, or something a little more serious. Gety your blood pressure checked and don't forget to call the doctor.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 06:08 pm
I thought of cluster headaches also. Here is a link, I hope it helps.

http://www.clusterheadaches.com/about.html
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 08:11 pm
Linkat, doesn't sound like a migraine I've ever had, but migraines tend to be variable. Talk to your doctor.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 08:22 pm
I have occular migranes and they sound very much like what you are describing.

Doctors take them very seriously as the symptoms are similar to anyurisms (I don't know how to spell that word).

Mine are incapacitating but short lived and irregular so there really isn't anything they can do for me about them.

You should see your doctor.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 08:56 pm
These are some sympton of cluster headaches.

Begins suddenly
Commonly begins 2 to 3 hours after falling asleep
Steady
Sharp
Burning or boring pain
Characteristically occurs on one side of the head
May occur in and around one eye
May involve one side of the face from neck to temples
Pain quickly gets worse, peaking within 5 to 10 minutes
Peak pain may last one-half to 2 hours
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 01:13 pm
Wow, thanks all. Since I last wrote I have not had another headache. The symptoms do sound like cluster, but if they reoccur, I will talk with my doctor.

I had at a previous appointment spoke with my doctor about such headaches, but since I had few she told me just to keep note and let her know if I get any more. Surprisingly for such stress in my life, my blood pressure is remarkably low. Nurses and doctors have always commented on my low blood pressure.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 01:26 pm
I don't know how md's rule out aneuryms, but I wouldn't take the possibility lightly. (Maybe your symptoms don't fit, I don't know.)
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 08:16 am
you do need to see your doctor to check just what it is

your symptoms don't sound like my migraines which have got less nowadays but lasted for hours often 24 and were really crippling.

I found if a certain situation was a sure migraine trigger, that taking a Migraleve tablet the night before would prevent one. (recommended in the directions for the medication)

I also had an aura and at least an hour of warning symptoms before the migraine fully developed - if I took the tablets at this stage it could usually be stopped.

With migraine your digestion stops in a condition called 'stasis', so if the medication isn't taken quickly the absorption is affected.

Do you get any warning signs? typically the light hurt my eyes and I couldn't bear to look out of the window and felt generally unwell, hard to describe but distinctive. Flashing lights/severe pain followed 30mins to an hour later.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 01:46 pm
These headaches started again and have lasted longer and even more intense so I broke down and went to the doctors. He said they were ice pick headaches – they are some what similar to tension and migraines. His solution to quick my job, if financially possible as we determined this is the root of my problems. My job has caused enormous amounts of stress for me and extremely long hours of late. As a result not only am I stressed out big time, but I have trouble sleeping the entire night. I tend to wake up and cannot go back to sleep. He said it is my body telling me I need to stop and rest. I guess it is true as when these come on, all I can do is put my head down and wait it out. He also said I can take some medications, but I stopped him there because I prefer to just wait out the pain as it is so short lived.

Well, I am on the job search for a company that values its employees enough that at the least the hire enough to do the job.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 05:57 pm
Good for you linkat!
0 Replies