Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2018 02:12 pm
@maxdancona,
A Potential Decline in Life Expectancy in the United States in the 21st Century
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2018 02:14 pm
@jerlands,
Quote:
Ok.. you understand processing wheat and sugar.. fruit juice.. you remove the fiber and the sugar goes right into the bloodstream. commercial milk... milk is actually living but pasteurization kills it. All sorts of examples but it's best to eat as close to "raw" as possible.

I don't exactly know what to think of your claim that milk is "actually living". I am perfectly fine eating food that is dead before it hits my plate.

Pasteurization of milk is very clearly a health benefit. It kills foodborne illness, which in my mind is a good thing. I drink milk for calcium, protein and a few vitamins. These are molecules that don't need to be "living" for my body to make good use of.

I haven't seen any legitimate science (i.e. a well done study with a double blind and peer review rather than anecdotal accounts) that suggests a health benefit of raw milk.
jerlands

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2018 02:17 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

That is irrelevant to your false claim that Life Expectancy in 2018 is lower than Life Expectancy in the 1940s (or whenever two generations ago means).

You made a claim that was false. Now we can talk about why US life expectancy is a year or two lower than other countries. I suspect it has more to do with violence and the availability of guns than it does to processed foods which are eaten in other countries.

Projections are as accurate as a fortune teller. The danger of an iceberg isn't apparent unless you understand what lies beneath it.
0 Replies

jerlands

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2018 02:26 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I don't exactly know what to think of your claim that milk is "actually living". I am perfectly fine eating food that is dead before it hits my plate.

Yes, you like dead peaches? no.. milk has a host of living organisms that are beneficial not to mention enzymes and proteins that get destroyed in the pasteurization process.

maxdancona wrote:

Pasteurization of milk is very clearly a health benefit. It kills foodborne illness, which in my mind is a good thing. I drink milk for calcium, protein and a few vitamins. These are molecules that don't need to be "living" for my body to make good use of.

You've heard of probiotics recently? Do you understand why they're now the rave.

maxdancona wrote:

I haven't seen any legitimate science (i.e. a well done study with a double blind and peer review rather than anecdotal accounts) that suggests a health benefit of raw milk.

I'll try not to be demeaning.. Double/triple blind placebo trials are proven unreliable. There isn't such a study for raw milk because who would fund such a expensive act?
Raw Milk Benefits Skin, Allergies and Immunity
maxdancona

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2018 02:32 pm
@jerlands,
Quote:
I'll try not to be demeaning.. Double/triple blind placebo trials are proven unreliable. There isn't such a study for raw milk because who would fund such a expensive act?

The advantage of a double blind study is that it relies on objective fact rather than on emotion or prejudice. If you feel that your emotions are more reliable, then there is nothing I can say to convince you to look at empirical fact.

You are wrong again... there are well-done scientific double blind studies to ask the question about whether raw milk is beneficial. The results have failed to find the benefits, but the studies have been done.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4890836/

You can have healthy bacteria, such as acidophilus in yogurt made with pasteurized milk. I happen to enjoy such foods with the risk of contracting listeria.

You can demean science as much as you want. Science doesn't care.
jerlands

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2018 02:36 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:

The advantage of a double blind study is that it relies on objective fact rather than on emotion or prejudice. If you feel that your emotions are more reliable, then there is nothing I can say to convince you to look at empirical fact.

You are wrong again... there are well-done scientific double blind studies to ask the question about whether raw milk is beneficial. The results have failed to find the benefits, but the studies have been done.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4890836/

You can demean science as much as you want. Science doesn't care.

You proclaim yourself as science? As for the publication.. It's a little alarming what we have to deal with today. There are forces in place that want to tell us.. it's fine.. we're on the right path. And there are forces that simply lie... similar to tobacco science.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2018 02:39 pm
@jerlands,
Not another anti-science argument about tobacco. You might want to learn the history before you go there (peer reviewed science knew that tobacco was dangerous very early, it was stifled).

You are making health claims based on prejudice and emotion. In my opinion, health claims can and should be based on empirical evidence.

Public health should be based on science, not on superstition. Yes, science is occasionally wrong... but it is much less likely to be wrong than just pulling what "feels" right out of the air. And the difference is that science can be tested and corrected.

Science has literally doubled the human life expectancy. Nothing else has done anything close to this.

jerlands

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2018 02:39 pm
@maxdancona,
You do not comprehend the extent the food and pharmaceutical industries have over our daily lives and perceptions.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2018 02:42 pm
@jerlands,
And yet... the results are pretty good.
jerlands

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2018 02:47 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

What results are you talking about?
0 Replies

jerlands

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2018 02:48 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

What? In spite of?
0 Replies

jerlands

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2018 03:00 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Not another anti-science argument about tobacco. You might want to learn the history before you go there (peer reviewed science knew that tobacco was dangerous very early, it was stifled).

There are benefits to tobacco.. it's the way it's process, the additives, the filter and the abuse (dependence) that create the problem.

maxdancona wrote:

You are making health claims based on prejudice and emotion. In my opinion, health claims can and should be based on empirical evidence.

This isn't a debate... it's a discussion.. Empirical evidence is overwhelming and you simply show your ignorance. Chronic Degenerative Disease is on the rise!

maxdancona wrote:

Public health should be based on science, not on superstition. Yes, science is occasionally wrong... but it is much less likely to be wrong than just pulling what "feels" right out of the air. And the difference is that science can be tested and corrected.

Science lags behind perception. Science attempts to comprehend perception. We sometimes can't wait for science but rather use some common sense.

maxdancona wrote:

Science has literally doubled the human life expectancy. Nothing else has done anything close to this.

Take everything into consideration. Yes, science and technology have given man tools that allow advancements but what leads all this? Science doesn't lead science but it's the quest that leads.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2018 03:01 pm
@jerlands,
Quote:
There are benefits to tobacco.. it's the way it's process, the additives, the filter and the abuse (dependence) that create the problem.

Bullshit.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2018 03:13 pm
@jerlands,
Here is the problem Jerlands. You just make up whatever seems right to you. Then you accept all of the "facts" that seem to support your beliefs (twisting them if you must) and reject all of the evidence that challenges your beliefs.

You don't question.
You don't test.
You don't change your mind.

That is the difference between what you are doing, and what science does.

Science is testable. It asks questions. It can be challenged. If evidence doesn't fit a theory, we change our minds.

In a recent study, scientists took a couple hundred people. They gave half of them pasteurized milk and the other half "raw" milk (randomly selected and double blind) in order to test specific health claims. Scientists accepted the results of this study as science... any that thought the study would go the other way changed their minds. That's is unlike you who only accept "facts" when they go your way.

You will believe whatever feels right to you. And, you will reject or explain away anything that contradicts your beliefs.

The question I would ask you (and I ask myself the same question on any number of topics)... what would it take to change your mind? What evidence could a scientist present that would get you to decide that your gut feeling is wrong about tobacco, or pasteurization or anything.

We should choose science over superstition, especially when we are talking about public health... developing plans that will keep hundreds of millions of people safe, and fed.
jerlands

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2018 03:14 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

We should choose science over superstition, especially when we are talking about public health... developing plans that will keep hundreds of millions of people safe, and fed.

Well lag behind... that's your choice.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2018 03:21 pm
@jerlands,
Lag behind superstition (as if you think the superstition is usually right). I am OK with that.

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2018 03:29 pm
@jerlands,
jerlands wrote:

maxdancona wrote:

Max's strategy is to string this out until you grow weary of it and drop out. He thinks it makes him the "winner."
jerlands

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2018 03:31 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

jerlands wrote:

maxdancona wrote:

Max's strategy is to string this out until you grow weary of it and drop out. He thinks it makes him the "winner."

I thought it was a she?
0 Replies

jerlands

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2018 03:34 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Lag behind superstition (as if you think the superstition is usually right). I am OK with that.

Superstition and intuition are different things. I'm not claiming great intuitive powers but I am able to perceive when there is such a significant problem based on all the available research.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2018 03:55 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:

What's your strategy Edgar? You can't seem to stay away... I think deep down you like me.

0 Replies