Pedophiles?

Bibliophile the BibleGuru

Fri 21 Jan, 2005 08:07 am
In Ireland there is a commonly accepted solution for Paedophiles: "Shoot the buggers"

I know of no community here where their deviant activities are tolerated. They deserve death.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Fri 21 Jan, 2005 08:16 am
Amen Bibleguy!
0 Replies

material girl

Fri 21 Jan, 2005 08:20 am
Surely puberty only reflects physical maturity not emotional.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Fri 21 Jan, 2005 08:20 am
The irony in the bibs and O'Bills posts are just way to funny... but I don't necessarily disagree.
0 Replies

sozobe

Fri 21 Jan, 2005 08:22 am
My first post here seems to have been misunderstood enough that I think it must not have been very clear. I'll break it down further.

Quote:
I like pan's response.

I have a feeling that Thetes is expecting that people will come up with shortsighted, prejudiced answers and he will come in and enlighten us with the bigger picture.

This was ironic. It had to do with my suspicions that he was waiting for someone to say something stereotypical about pedophiles so he could come in and counter that.

Quote:
I know someone who was a victim of a pedophile, wrote a book about it, is deeply ambiguous about the experience -- it felt good, he thought he loved the man, he didn't feel victimized, but...?

This was addressing one thing that pedophiles or those who defend pedophilia often mention, that the victims sometimes find it pleasurable. If I'm arguing that pedophilia is unacceptable (which I am), I prefer to mention it first and acknowledge that aspect in the context of but it's still not acceptable.

Quote:
I know another person who was a victim and was deeply, terribly damaged by the experience, including the fact that the pedophile was a family member and nobody believed her when she told them what happened.

That's the but you can't know how people will react/ often kids are horribly damaged follow-up.

Quote:
I think pedophiles are NOT just icky men who lurk in alleyways in trenchcoats ready to grab a child and do terrible things to him/ her.

Here is where I start to address some of the stereotypes/ misconceptions that I suspected Thetes might be waiting to pounce on.

Quote:
I think that lots of pedophiles liken it to homosexuality -- they can't help it, it's just who they're attracted to.

Again, anticipating. Stating what a lot of pedophiles think.

Quote:
I think a lot of pedophiles have their own sad stories, their own damage in childhood, that again makes the simple villainization difficult.

Anticipating the "well I'm a pedophile and here's my story" appeal to sympathy.

Quote:
I think a lot of pedophiles are skilled at rationalization -- the kid likes it, it's fine.

"Rationalization" is the key point here -- again anticipating what a pedophile/ defender of pedophilia might say. Rationalizing as in "convincing oneself that something wrong is not wrong."

Quote:
I think adult - child sexual contact is never OK.

Not sure how that could be more clear.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Fri 21 Jan, 2005 08:23 am
Ok, I am NOT speaking in favor of this but....

In africa, there are tribes/communities that still allow men to marry very young girls by our society standards.
Sometimes as young as 12-13.
If that happened in america, ireland, canada ...etc etc..
That would be punishable by law.
Does anyone think that these men who are allowed to marry girls that young child lovers?
Mind you, these men are MEN. 30+ years old. This isnt an 18-maybe 25 year old boy, these are grown men.
( i will hunt down some links for better info) ...
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Fri 21 Jan, 2005 09:05 am
sozobe wrote:
Not sure how that could be more clear.
I understood you perfectly darlin and agreed with what you said, which is why I mentioned your post to save some time typing my own (re-reading- it is I, not you, who was unclear). The "but" was supposed to separate your sound reasoning for the problem from my preferred solution because I agree with Farmerman's simple "needs killin" statement even more... and can only assume you don't. Curing these people presents an unacceptable risk of failure, IMHO, so I would prefer a more permanent solution.

(To aide anyone who's fuzzy on my outlook: Yes: I consider the life of a single innocent child more valuable than all the lives of the countless pedophiles combined. Also, though I would write the law in such a way that it was as near infallible: in the event of a mistake: Yes: I consider the risk of an innocent person being executed acceptable for the purpose of protecting countless thousands of innocent children. Just providing this to prevent anyone from feeling a need to derail the thread with Death Penalty Q&A from my answers.)

Shewolf: Much of the Middle East (and believe it or not, some places here in the U.S.) are plagued by that same barbarism. It is a custom well respected by many Muslim Fundamentalists. And that's just the beginning in places like Iran... but that's not for this thread either. Learn more by clicking here.
0 Replies

panzade

Fri 21 Jan, 2005 09:18 am
Soz, your post was as clear as the azure sky.
0 Replies

material girl

Fri 21 Jan, 2005 09:23 am
Over the years ive tried to work out a good age to start a physical love life based on my past experiences ie when could I handle the emotional side as well as physical.I came to the conclusion that 25 would be a good age, but thats just me.

The idea of a grown up messing with a kid makes me want to physically puke my guts up and I believe they should be hung drawn and quartered!!

When I think of pedophiles I think of an old man in a dirty old mac hanging around school gates.
If they were that easy to spot life would be alot easier.
0 Replies

sozobe

Fri 21 Jan, 2005 09:26 am
Yer sweet panzade.

materialgirl, it would, wouldn't it.

Thanks, Bill, it looks like you had it right. I'm not sure what punishment I'd have in mind, but it probably wouldn't be death for every last one of them. To answer beyond that I'd have to read a whole lot about rehabilitation, what's successful, what's not, whether those who are incarcerated for life are paroled early and what happens then, etc., etc. We could do that, but it would take a while, and is a bit beyond what was being asked. (Thetes? Where are ya?)

I do know I'm very happy to have the compulsory notification systems, that allowed me to look up whether any sexual offenders lived in my area before buying a house, etc. And I'm happy that the culture is shifting towards giving more credence to claims of sexual abuse/ encouraging children to speak out about it -- that's an important part of the whole picture. There are few things more awful than allowing a pedophile who has been so accused by a child go unpunished and free to continue to abuse children.
0 Replies

material girl

Fri 21 Jan, 2005 09:53 am
25 years old,yeah.

Luckily Im 29 now and 'fully'started that kind of thing when I was about 20 but I just thought about how I could handle the emotional side of things much better around 25.
0 Replies

panzade

Fri 21 Jan, 2005 09:55 am
The Bible is clear on the punishment for pedophiles but the dangers of innocent people being jailed, or in Bill's and Bible's case, executed should also be taken into account.

"And whoever welcomes a little child like this in my name welcomes me. But if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a large millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea.Matthew 18

"McMartin" was one of the first Multi-Victim Multi Offender (MVMO) child abuse cases. 2,3 It lasted six years -- the longest US criminal trial in history. At a cost to the state of $15 million, it was also the most expensive. No convictions were obtained. The main evidence of abuse was based on what the children testified were memories of repeated, sadistic, ritual molestation. Years later, child psychologists realized that such memories can be easily implanted in children's minds by the interview techniques which were used at the time. Since psychologists and police investigators have changed their methods of interrogating young children, no more MVMO cases have surfaced in the U.S. and Canada. The children's testimony was supported by medical tests, which were believed at the time to be accurate. Years later, they were found to be useless.

The hoax adversely affected the lives of hundreds of children, who are now young adults. It has become the most famous MVMO case of its type. Many feminists and others still believe that the children were subjected to horrendous abuse at McMartin.

----------------LITTLE RASCALS------------------------

In excess of 90 children accused a total of 20 adults with 429 instances of child sexual abuse in a day care center in Edenton NC. Among the alleged perpetrators were the sheriff and mayor. Allegations included a baby killed with a hand gun, a child being hung upside down from a tree and being set on fire. Nobody in town noticed a baby missing. Needless to say, charges were never laid against the mayor or sheriff.

Robin Byrum, Darlene Harris, Elizabeth "Betsy" Kelly, Robert "Bob" Kelly, Scott Willard Privott, Shelly Stone, and Dawn Wilson were charged with engaging in various sexual activities with children in the Kellys' day care in 1989. Bob Kelly and Dawn Wilson were found guilty of multiple charges of child sex abuse and given long sentences. Betsy Kelly and Willard Privott pleaded "no contest" and were released. The charges against the other three were dropped. Convictions were overturned on appeal and new trials ordered. The cases were finally settled in 1999 when all chrges were dropped against Kelley.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Fri 21 Jan, 2005 10:08 am
There is no doubt that there are false accusations against people, but with todays DNA tests there are certain circumstances where there is no doubt about a persons guilt. In these cases I think a minimun sentence of life in prison should be standard. There are no good "cures" for criminals. We have been trying to reform them for years only to let them out of jail so they can commit more crimes against humanity.
0 Replies

panzade

Fri 21 Jan, 2005 10:11 am
Unfortunately pedophiles can traumatize children without there being any evidence of DNA.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Fri 21 Jan, 2005 10:22 am
It's not a perfect world Panz. There will be false accusations, there will be open and shut cases and there will be cases not so cut and dry. DNA is merely one way to skin a cat.
0 Replies

panzade

Fri 21 Jan, 2005 10:24 am
In agreement
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Fri 21 Jan, 2005 10:26 am
It is interesting how: Soooo many of the staunchest opponents of the death penalty get a little fuzzy on it when confronted with this subject... yet the statutes and sentencing standards reflect no parallel to capital offenses whatsoever. Society, though seemingly no consensus of persons I've ever discussed it with, seems to view pedophilia as a crime fitting of much less punishment. I don't get it. The apologists will tell you that the pedophile is sick and needs treatment because he knows better but can't control his natural (unnatural) reactions. How is this any different from the violent offender? He too know's better but can't control his natural reactions either.

It seems to me, any person capable of understanding they suffer from a heinous moral deficiency like pedophilia or uncontrollable murderous rages… have an obligation to diagnose themselves and take whatever precautions necessary to safeguard society from themselves. This might mean seeking therapy from a psychologist, psychiatrist or priest… or on the other end of the spectrum, it might very well mean putting a gun to your head and taking one for the team (literally)(if this applies to you, do it). Suffering unnatural urges is no excuse to act on them. If that weren't so, people would be kicking each other's asses, all over the place, constantly. Boy, I know I'd long for the day nobody jacked me. :wink:

In the case of the pedophile, the innocence of the victim should demand the most stringent measures of protection from repeat offenders be afforded. But anyone who reads the paper can tell you this isn't the case in these United States… let alone some lesser societies where the moral compasses have yet to pinpoint the problem. Like domestic violence, I suspect, this is a severely underreported crime... probably at least in part because society feels awkward interfering with and investigating it... and also because the perpetrators don't fit the normal description of "criminals" so, consequently the disease is passed down from generation to generation like a defective gene.

You can't cure cancer without at least neutralizing it, if not removing the cancerous cells from the rest of the body altogether. Chemo and radiation therapy both have some nasty side effects, but sometimes its still work that needs to be done.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Fri 21 Jan, 2005 10:47 am
I feel this way with almost any violent crime. Rapists, murderers, child/spousal abusers, violent robbers, etc. We spend to much time worrying about criminals rights and forgeting about everybody elses. Time after time these people prove that reform isn't working by commiting the same act as soon as they are released from jail. Every repeat crime is a failure of our judicial system and a slap in the face to the innocent victims of these crimes.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Fri 21 Jan, 2005 10:47 am
Perhaps I shouldn't have had my little joke earlier on this thread. I think pedophiles should be executed just for the record.

I think anyone who purposefully causes the harm of children should be executed whether it's sexual abuse or causing their death or harm through war or negelect or anything else.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Fri 21 Jan, 2005 11:31 am
Right on JP! (Careful, they're liable to think you're as kooky as me talking like that.)
0 Replies