Quick italian question...

ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 09:41 am
Wait, isn't luukas from Padova?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 11:33 am
Oh, I thought he was near Rome. Where's Padova?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 11:51 am
Near Venice and Bologna...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 11:53 am
One of the first universities...
canals.. great market piazzas... Giotto frescos -
I haven't been there, but want to see it sometime. (My italian teacher is from there.)
0 Replies

luukas

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 03:14 pm
You definitely have to, ossobuco.
Thare are not many canals in Padova actually, though we have some (but they're not comparable with those in Venice). The univesity is the second oldest university in Italy and one of the oldest in Europe (founded in 1222), then we have two wonderful market squares with a wonderful medioeval palace dividing them, its upper floor is entirely occupied by a huge hall (82 m long, 27 m wide). And then the big basilica where St. Anthony is buried and the big square called Prato della Valle, that has an island with a park in the middle.
And of course ossobuco has already mentioned Giotto's famous frescos at the Cappella degli Scrovegni.

Padova is a city that has:
- a saint without a name
- a café without doors
- a meadow without grass
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 07:58 pm
I am very interested in the history of piazzas, luukas, and have had Padova in my sights for that reason, the piazza del valle, and piazza d' erbe (spelling? I know I am messing up the pronoun). Plus, I do like seeing art in context, and so very much want to see the frescos.

I haven't been around all so much, in Italy, but have preferred seeing a crucifix by Cimabue, as he's known, in San Domenico in Arezzo more than in the Uffizi, though I wouldn't complain about either. And I haven't the sensibility to know if the one is better than the other. Just that I enjoy things 'in place'. Especially with no lines.
0 Replies