Can Moderate Republicans Recover Their Party?

Ethel2

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 09:04 pm
hyper426 wrote:
Lola wrote:
very.......poor, dear original discussion........call the ambulance.......this discussion is near death...

SORRRRRRYYYYYY, my fault Embarrassed

ok...ummm....moderate republicans......let's see, i am not well versed in this, so i will ask some questions to do with this topic, how's that lola?

examples of moderate republicans?

It's ok, hyper.........you asked the questions......but the others here who regularly do the non-discussion, shoulder shruging, gee whizzing, "I'm a moderate Repub. and I don't see anything wrong...except with the Dems" bit are far guiltier than you.

In answer to your question about examples of moderate Republicans......please see the first post on this thread. It's about a certain Christine Todd Whitman, she's one example. There are lots of others who are objecting to the Rad Rights death hold on the Republican party. Let's see, I'll include Rudy Guilliani, Olympia Snow, John McCain, O'Neill, Clarke, Spector, JoAnn Davidson (OH), New York Gov. George Pataki, California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, Eric Schaeffer, the former EPA enforcement chief who quit during Whitman's tenure to protest the Bush administration's efforts to weaken his division to name a few. The self identified moderates who have "contributed" here aren't upset by the fanatics having so much power in their party......but there is a growing number of Republicans who are. Please read the first post on this thread and the article about Whitman's book.

I agree with DTOM. We can't have a discussion on this subject because the turn-the-discussion-around-and-talk-about-the-Dems-a-la-Gingrich-and-Rove folks show up and .............oh well never mind.

How about this. Let's ask this question. Can those Republicans who are pro-choice, pro environment, pro stem cell research, and supportive of gay marriage do anything to retake their party?

Quote:
She [Whitman] condemns the Bush administration for embracing "social fundamentalism," which she says wrongly tramples on the personal right of Republicans to be pro-choice, advocate stem-cell research, and support gay marriage. And she argues that right-wing ideology flouts the deeply rooted Republican ethos of conservation.

But if we can't have a reasonable discussion about it. Then we can't. Too bad......we might all learn a little if it were possible.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 09:14 pm
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,11069-1445561,00.html

this caught my eye earlier today

Quote:
Recent revelations about Dr Rice's own views also hint at a different approach. Yesterday, US papers recounted how she had warned Israel about some of its policies towards Palestinians, most notably the construction of the security wall. Furthermore, Dr Rice, unlike her predecessor Colin Powell, will clock up air miles in pursuit of US foreign policy aims, with several transatlantic trips already planned in the next few months, including one to Tony Blair's Palestinian conference in March.

Her aides have been asking widely around Washington in recent weeks how the US can improve its image in the world.None of this means the new chief US diplomat is about to alter the course of US policy. The President himself remains clearly committed to the assertive use of American power to disarm threats and promote democracy. But she clearly seems ready to change the tone, engage more with allies, perhaps even lean a little harder on the more recalcitrant.

Yet all of this raises the second question. Will Dr Rice change the balance of power in the Bush Administration? All reports suggest Mr Rumsfeld is on his way out. But that leaves Mr Cheney. In the next few months the world will start to discover whether it is Dr Rice, now elevated to the highest office outside the White House, or Mr Cheney, quietly ensconced inside it, who has the last word in the President's ear.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 09:16 pm
BM

Interesting, Lola.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 09:24 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
cjhsa wrote:
I can assure most of you that I, as a moderate conservative, vote against democrats likely for far different reasons than you vote for them.

care to list a few ? just for the heck of it, let's not include "terror", "iraq" or "family values".

One word: Gangsterism. That's why I vote against democrats.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 10:17 pm
Republicans are better looking.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 01:41 am
gungasnake wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
cjhsa wrote:
I can assure most of you that I, as a moderate conservative, vote against democrats likely for far different reasons than you vote for them.

care to list a few ? just for the heck of it, let's not include "terror", "iraq" or "family values".

One word: Gangsterism. That's why I vote against democrats.

that tells us nothing.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 01:42 am
JustWonders wrote:
Republicans are better looking.

oh, most asuredly. but enough about you ! Laughing
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 01:44 am
cjhsa wrote:
Ok.

Welfare and wealth redistribution.
Gun control.
Unions over business.
The belief that government can take better care of me than I can of myself.
Nationalized health "care"
Superwealthy politicians claming to represent the downtrodden (Mass seems to produce a lot of these)
Putting criminals before victims
The belief that anyone who makes more than $30K/year is "wealthy"

I can go on.

it's late, but i mean to come back to this manana.
0 Replies

hyper426

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 12:28 pm
well, I would definately vote mod. rep., after what you told me lola, and I know quiet a few who would. so, they might reclaim it because of my upcoming generation (the part not trying to reintroduce the 60's and 70's)
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 12:48 pm
Lola wrote:
Gingrich

all hail the supreme hypocrite.

"hey guys! my wife has cancer! 'think i'll have an affair, divorce the old hag and marry the new squeeze" !!

a real hero of the republic and poster boy for values.

hope a peach tree falls over on his sorry ass. Laughing
0 Replies

hyper426

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 02:55 pm
*gulps on my milk* boy, that was a wake up post!
0 Replies