dyslexia

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 06:31 pm
and a commie!
0 Replies

ConstitutionalGirl

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 07:06 pm
Re: MLK Was A Traitor
BigTruth wrote:
I don't know where you people get the idea that MLK was all that great. He was a traitor to this country and as far as I am concerned he got what was coming to him on April 4 1968. King also supported Madlilyn Murray O'Hair in having prayer removed from public schools. Twisted Evil
"That is so true about him!" But no one has a right to murder.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 07:10 pm
OK. How was he a traitor?
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 07:24 pm
MLK a Traitor?
Lash wrote:
How was MLK a traitor? I haven't heard that opinion before.

That's a first for me too and I have spent most of my life in the South where I thought had heard it all!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 07:34 pm
J Edgar Hoover was one of the brains that came to that conclusion. It's all part of a slur campaign, dreamed up because they feared his influence.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 08:30 pm
Oh yeah. I do think I heard that now. Hoover was really working on him--and tapping him--and the Kennedys had him tapped--and Hoover had the Kennedys tapped....<whew>

And, the whole time, Hoover's wearing a dress.

If I made it up in a novel, it would seem contrived.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 07:27 pm
In my mind, King belongs on the roster of the founding fathers.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 07:36 pm
My daughter is taking US History Since Reconstruction-- and, of course, it refreshes one on the goals and attempts of assimilation of blacks--but how could one seriously imagine that "master" and "slave" could suddenly claim equality the next day? The next year...

It did take that hundred years for incremental adjustments--but the final, forceful push absolutely was necessary. We were blessed, as were blacks, to have the man for that time prepared and capable for the job. Our Gandhi, I suppose.

I think his contribution and sacrifice was worthy of founding status. None of the FFs were without fault or foible--neither was King--but that's not a requirement.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 07:44 pm
I don't make King out to be a saint. That's entirely different from what I mean to say.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2005 12:05 pm
MLK was flawed--but he was also effective.
0 Replies

ConstitutionalGirl

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2005 12:38 pm
What effectiveness? All I see is more crime.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2005 01:10 pm
Constitutional Girl--

You haven't lived through the 40's and 50's and 60's and you evidently haven't read about them either.

Those who do not know history are doomed to repeat it.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2005 06:00 pm
ConstitutionalGirl wrote:
What effectiveness? All I see is more crime.

This isn't the thread but CG the causes of crime are complex and have nothing to do with Dr King or the civil rights movement of the 1950s and 1960s.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2005 06:19 pm
CG didn't grow up in a world in which a black person was made to stare down at the sidewalk when passing a white person, had to go behind a restaurant to get served, had to use separate faucets and toilets, got lynched for any and all transgressions, even imagined ones, were considered too stupid to have complex jobs, such as driving a city bus, could not buy a home in the wrong neighborhood, were not allowed in the community swim pool, could not vote . . .
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2005 07:20 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
I don't make King out to be a saint. That's entirely different from what I mean to say.

<puzzled>
I didn't think or imply that you considered King sainted.

After comparing him to Gandhi, I didn't want anyone to think I considered him to be without fault.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2005 08:34 pm
No prob. I just wanted to be on record.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 09:55 pm
It's nearing MLK day again. It seems like only yesterday I learned of the sit ins, the bus strike and Martin exerting his first influence on the national stage. How I loved to see his image in the news, or pick up a magazine to read an article he just wrote. We used to have a local parade on his day, but the town council or somebody found a way to stop it. I forget the details.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 01:11 pm
Edgar--

Why not start a new MLK thread for the new year? People might be more inclined to contribute if there weren't ten pages of previous postings to wade through.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 04:24 pm
I kind of like the used one. Gives sort of an impression the people in this place having some history together. And I like tracking the changes and consistencies.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 05:45 pm
I like to build on some threads. This is one of them.
0 Replies