Why dont Black people care about each other?

Reply Tue 2 May, 2017 05:58 pm
Maybe I am wrong but I see little evidence that black people ponder ideas that are in their best interest. Do not get me wrong but black people seem to be just as bad as white people when it comes to moral philosophy.

perennialloner

Reply Tue 2 May, 2017 06:29 pm
@reasoning logic,
What are the ideas that black people ponder?
Real Music

Reply Tue 2 May, 2017 07:50 pm
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
Maybe I am wrong but I see little evidence that black people ponder ideas that are in their best interest. Do not get me wrong but black people seem to be just as bad as white people when it comes to moral philosophy
Is there a particular reason or reasons you believe this to be the case?
perennialloner

Reply Tue 2 May, 2017 08:46 pm
Also, why is it a revelation that people are equally bad. Are black people expected to have better morals?
0 Replies

tibbleinparadise

Reply Tue 2 May, 2017 10:47 pm
@reasoning logic,
I'm sure I could find some "white people" that don't care about each other too (hell, I have some pretty terrible "white" neighbors).

Every culture, ethnicity, etc has good and not so good and terrible people. I see no reason to limit the discussion to one particular skin color.
McGentrix

Reply Tue 2 May, 2017 11:00 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

Maybe I am wrong but I see little evidence that black people ponder ideas that are in their best interest. Do not get me wrong but black people seem to be just as bad as white people when it comes to moral philosophy.

I consulted with David Shih for awhile tonight, and we came to the conclusion that the above two sentences are indeed racist. We further consulted The Southern Poverty Law Center Big Book of Racial Bigotry vol. 4 and it was affirmed that it is indeed racist.

Therefore, you are indeed wrong.
reasoning logic

Reply Tue 2 May, 2017 11:08 pm
@McGentrix,
Wink
0 Replies

layman

Reply Wed 3 May, 2017 02:40 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

reasoning logic wrote:

I consulted with David Shih for awhile tonight, and we came to the conclusion that the above two sentences are indeed racist. We further consulted The Southern Poverty Law Center Big Book of Racial Bigotry vol. 4 and it was affirmed that it is indeed racist.

Therefore, you are indeed wrong.

I don't think the question is "racist" at all, and there's a whole lot of black people who agree with me on that.

Certainly it's wrong, to the point of extreme absurdity, to suggest that no black person ever cared about another black person, but I don't think that's what RL is suggesting.

There are, in general, cultural differences, not due to "skin color," or any other genetic factors at all, but based on circumstances.

Best I recall, 60-70% of black homes have no father present. Probably a substantial majority of blacks live in inner-city ghettos, where violent crime is rampant due to gangs competing for drug trade and "turf." Of course poverty goes with this too. A single mother may often work two jobs, just to feed her family, but that leaves the kids with virtually no supervision or much time for parental influence. On the other hand, the gangs are on the streets all day, every day, and they recruit youngsters, who often see them as father-figures trying to protect them.

These are just a few of the factors that produce inter-generational "cultural" influences that most whites aren't subjected to.

perennialloner

Reply Wed 3 May, 2017 04:28 am
@layman,
What black person did you ask this question? And it is racist. It's extremely racist. I don't know when people started limiting racism to believing the genetic composition of other races is inferior. Yes, that's racism too but it can also be racist to stereotype. And that's what this is.

I mean at least have the decency to specify black people from urban communities if you're going to make such a claim. It's not implied. It's also subjective. How many people define and frame care is different from how a young black person, who grew up in a low income urban setting, would.

It's not only racist, it's thoughtless. Just a statement that people who think they know how black people function eat up that ultimately offers no insight into the condition of black America or the black consciousness.
McGentrix

Reply Wed 3 May, 2017 06:26 am
@layman,
We'll have to disagree. I think you put anyone in the same situation and regardless of race, you will find similar outcomes.

The ghettos you refer to are created by the war on drugs and the disproportionate number of young black males in prison as a result. Of course you're going to have broken homes. But, you look at any similar neighborhood, especially one of harsh poverty, and you will find similar outcomes.

To say "I see little evidence that black people ponder ideas that are in their best interest." instead of "I see little evidence that people ponder ideas that are in their best interest." is what makes it racist. the speaker is assuming that one is inferior and is basing it on race. That is almost the definition of racism.

You go to a middle class suburb where all of the family's are generally getting by and you don't have the same problems that large urban centers have with large swaths of poverty stricken neighborhoods. There, you see family's doing their thing and making the best of their lives. It doesn't matter the race.
layman

Reply Wed 3 May, 2017 06:59 am
@perennialloner,
perennialloner wrote:

What black person did you ask this question? And it is racist. It's extremely racist....It's not only racist, it's thoughtless.

You're just spouting typical PC hogwash, Perry. Did you listen to any of the (relatively brief) videos I posted (all black people talking)? I could post hundreds more just like them. Many, many blacks, including a great number of highly respected academicians, abhor the mindset which attempts to divert blacks from looking at their "real" problems, many having to do with a self-defeating culture where one always portrays oneself as a helpless victim of oppressors.

Violent black on black crime is an epidemic. That's just the statistical fact, where you consider the facts to be "politically correct," or not. And it's not just crime. It's a general lack of respect of oneself and others. Many blacks have simply "given up," and consider their situation so hopeless that they've come to believe that no amount of effort will improve their lot. Many ridicule "honky" values, such as education, and consider it a badge of honor to do poorly in school (when they attend) and drop out early. It is a bragging point to have spent time in prison for many young blacks. They delight in gaming the welfare system and "sticking it to the man." Many also brag about the number of women they have impregnated. No need to try to help take care of any of the children borne by any of those baby Mamas--the state will do that. Scoring and doing drugs is a sign of "success" for many young blacks.

Disrepect for women (who are all hos and bitches) is rampant. Extreme cruelty is also reason for bragging. Killing others is ranked especially high on the ladder which accords "respect." Short of that, beating someone senseless and maiming them for life is also quite "respect-worthy" for many young blacks.

Of course I'm not saying that every black is like that, or even the majority. But these extremely significant problems that have infiltrated black culture.

Again, watch the videos I posted, and listen to the blacks who are most familiar with their own cultural situation.
layman

Reply Wed 3 May, 2017 07:07 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

We'll have to disagree. I think you put anyone in the same situation and regardless of race, you will find similar outcomes

We don't disagree on that, Gent. As I said, it's not a matter of skin color or genetics--it's a product of circumstances.

Quote:
The ghettos you refer to are created by the war on drugs and the disproportionate number of young black males in prison as a result.

This is just the type of thinking which many blacks especially detest. It's not the fault of blacks that drugs have ruined their lives (by their choice), it's the white man who puts them in jail. If only whitey would repeal all criminals laws, then there would be no black criminals. It's just the man working 24/7 to keep the black man down, that's all. This victim mentality is especially self-destructive.

Quote:
To say "I see little evidence that black people ponder ideas that are in their best interest." instead of "I see little evidence that people ponder ideas that are in their best interest." is what makes it racist. the speaker is assuming that one is inferior and is basing it on race. That is almost the definition of racism

1.He said that ("I see little evidence that people ponder ideas that are in their best interest."), he just didn't say it in the first sentence of his post.

2. Culture is not race. If you can't distinguish the difference, then obviously we could never communicate on the topic.

Quote:
You go to a middle class suburb where all of the family's are generally getting by and you don't have the same problems that large urban centers have with large swaths of poverty stricken neighborhoods. There, you see family's doing their thing and making the best of their lives. It doesn't matter the race.

Again, I agree.
McGentrix

Reply Wed 3 May, 2017 07:10 am
@layman,
layman wrote:

2. Culture is not race.

This is why what he said is racist.
layman

Reply Wed 3 May, 2017 07:18 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

layman wrote:

2. Culture is not race.

This is why what he said is racist.

I don't quite follow your logic there, Gent. They are two quite different things, but you seem to be trying to make them identical.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Wed 3 May, 2017 07:21 am
@McGentrix,
Muslims support and promote sharia law, which often means throwing homosexuals off 10-story buildings and mutilating women.

I think I can disapprove of such cultural values without being a "racist," ya know?

I guess the proper PC designation in those circumstances would actually be "islamophobic," but the PC crowd generally just calls it all "racisim." It's the one word they can haul out on every occasion in their attempts to stifle legitimate discussion.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Wed 3 May, 2017 07:41 am
@perennialloner,
Here's a couple more videos. One where a black man (Jason Whitlock) calls Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton "terrorists." I wouldn't be surprised if you denounced him as an "uncle tom," without giving the slightest consideration to the rational points he is making:

0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 3 May, 2017 02:51 pm
The false premise that this thread is based on is that white people are monolithic. Is that why for the last thousand years different European (aka, white people) countries fought each other in battle? And, even in the U.S., only in certain regions do white people have a perception of being the other half of the dichotomy of black/white. White people are only understandable when one considers the socioeconomic groups of the white folk one is talking about, in my opinion. Similarly, with Black people, I believe. There are social classes in this country that are the real explanation to much behavior, in my opinion, and likely to many that have taken a class in sociology.
perennialloner

Reply Wed 3 May, 2017 03:09 pm
@layman,
I have no doubt that many black people "abhor," to use your words, mindsets that some black people have. But criticizing ideas that exist within the black community is entirely different from making the gross generalization that has been made here.

That's why I said this post is thoughtless. The author just put forth this statement - black people don't care about each other - and didn't even explain it.

I could just as easily ask why white people don't care about each other and post videos supporting my statement. But I wouldn't. Because it's a gross generalization that also happens to be racist, like this one.

Let's just remind ourselves of the original post. Nowhere in the post does the author mention black Americans or black urban culture. It's just black people, who aren't just from the United States if you weren't aware.

It's racist.

If this post aimed to discuss misogyny, colorization, or victimization in black communities, that would be different. But to reach the conclusion that a whole race of people don't care about each other without any real explanation is thoughtless (and racist).

perennialloner

Reply Wed 3 May, 2017 03:14 pm
Even though I think the much more obvious false premise of the thread is that black people are monolithic, Foofie's got the right idea I think.
0 Replies

tibbleinparadise

Reply Wed 3 May, 2017 04:31 pm
@perennialloner,
Couldn't agree more.

How about a new topic, "Why are white people racist?".

Don't like those gross generalizations now, do we? I just wish we could all stop worrying about what color we are. I have neighbors and friends of about every religious, cultural, gender, race, political, you name it group. They are all just folks trying to live life and do their thing.