Martin Luther King

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 05:52 pm
Merry Andrew on top of it again. Good going.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 08:09 pm
In the interest of fairness, I must add this: I could be wrong about the newspaper that ConGirl's mom was reading. I did a Google search and it seems there are at least a couple of dozen papers with the name 'Crusader' in it. Many of them are student newspapers at Jesuit-affiliated colleges. I just assumed, given the scurrilous charge, that the refernce was to The White Crusader, which is published by United Klans of America.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 09:12 pm
Wherever the "information" comes from, it is badly skewed against the truth.
0 Replies

ConstitutionalGirl

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 09:27 am
Merry Andrew wrote:
My dear ConstitutionalGirl:

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. "John Kerry, MLK, Jane Fonda and other Vietnam War Protesters...went o France"???? What does (or did) France have to do with it? Jane Fonda went to Hanoi, yes. I've never heard it said anywhere that Kerry or King demonstrated against the war anywhere except right here in the USA.

Do you have any idea what the definition of 'treason' is? Disagreement with the policies of the government in power is not treason. Calling for the impeachment of the president is not treason. Throwing rotten eggs at a president can be classified as assault, but not treason. Treason is outright betrayal of one's country to the enemy. (I admit that Jane Fonda came close, but, as she was never prosecuted, it stands to reason that the best legal minds the government could muster didn't think they could make a valid case for treason.) To accuse a great American like MLK of 'treason' is outrageous.

Keep posting, ConGirl. You'll find that A2K is a forum whose members hold a variety of opinions. You might even learn something.

Sincerely,
Merry Andrew
"Oh yes, I do!" I know that you all are Liberal's, that like to twist the Moral's around a bit.
0 Replies

ConstitutionalGirl

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 09:31 am
Merry Andrew wrote:
In the interest of fairness, I must add this: I could be wrong about the newspaper that ConGirl's mom was reading. I did a Google search and it seems there are at least a couple of dozen papers with the name 'Crusader' in it. Many of them are student newspapers at Jesuit-affiliated colleges. I just assumed, given the scurrilous charge, that the refernce was to The White Crusader, which is published by United Klans of America.
There's alot of those in the NY/NJ area.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 09:57 am
hearing that speech still makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck - what powerful words.

s'funny you should post this as I was listening to Roberta Flack and some protest songs yesterday and thinking how recently things were so bad
0 Replies

Jack Webbs

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 02:00 pm
Other than pure historical significance I don't see any point in having MLK day as a National Holiday. Nor do I see Kwanza having any significance to America whatsoever.

MLK day will however remain etched in my memory as it was on the wild MLK weekend of 1987 in Laughlin, Nevada that I last had sexual relations with my ex.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 03:53 pm
thanks for sharing.
0 Replies

Jack Webbs

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 04:00 pm
You're welcome! Cool
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 04:05 pm
Next week is president's day - why don't you start a thread about that, so I can share with you what me and my ex did the last time we were together?

What a maroon......
0 Replies

Jack Webbs

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 04:25 pm
OK. Cool
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 05:59 pm
Webb wants to sully days associated with black people. Doesn't take a guess to figure why.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 06:19 pm
Kwanza, in fact, has only to do with America, Jack. It is an American holiday, designed by African-Americans. Many people assume, erroneously, that it was brought over from Africa. Not so. There is not a single nation in Africa that celebrates it. But, more importantly, what is your point? (Aside from being obnoxious, boorish and racist, I mean?)
0 Replies

Jack Webbs

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 06:25 pm
Well Mr. "Insight" some of us may guess and still not "figure why." Why don't you clarify "why" for me?

You better think twice about implying that I am a racist. My gut feeling tells me you are. Are you?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 06:26 pm
:wink:
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 06:28 pm
Why what, Jack?
0 Replies

Jack Webbs

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 06:29 pm
Kwanza was invented in Texas and it is a very current, manufactured holiday. Most black people do not even celebrate it. And I will warn you too along with edgarblythe to refrain from addressing me as a racist. A boor maybe, never a racist. Think before you post.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 06:32 pm
We can only comment on your presentation, which so far is dismal.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 06:35 pm
Sorry if I hit a nerve, Jack. (That's a sincere apology, btw.) But your tone in that post about associating MLK Day with a sexual encounter does kind of make one wonder about your orientation toward sensitive matters.

You're right about the fact that most black people that I know don't celebrate Kwanza. But the statement you made in your eralier post seemed to indicate that you don't think it's American. Isn't Texas a part of the USA these days?
0 Replies

Jack Webbs

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 06:52 pm
Well edgarblythe I can't say this posting of yours is dismal:

AW, pshaw, graffiti.
I just do my little song and dance and quietly exit before the hounds can start ripping my flesh.

It is a bit "flighty" though.

Merry Andrew, Texas is American but Kwanza is not insofar as being in the spirit of the holiday is concerned.

Oh I am sure you can come up with a bunch of examples of "what ifs" but the truth of the matter is that just as with MLK day, the government found it expedient to give black Americans a visible symbol they could relate to. MLK happened to be handy and in later years some guy in Texas invented Kwanza. I doubt very much if Kwanza would be approved today if it was a new idea. The climate is different than it was perhaps? I am not certain but I believe Kwanza is a local thing, not a National Holiday like MLK day. Depending on where you live in the country, Kwanza is celebrated accordingly.
0 Replies