1

The Martin Luther King Not Seen on TV

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 08:45 am
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,559 • Replies: 68

dyslexia

1  
Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 08:47 am
excellent edgar.

JustWonders

1  
Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 09:05 am
Almost all of those speeches were filmed or taped. But they're not shown today on TV.

Why?

Because....You need a license to quote Martin Luther King, Jr.

1  
Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 09:21 am
You don't need a license to recount the life of MLK, which can easily be done without direct quotes.

JustWonders

1  
Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 09:29 am
You haven't heard the "Beyond Vietnam" speech on network news retrospectives.....

Well, you can.

<Just.... "Show me the money">

1  
Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 09:37 am
I don't know what you are getting at. Nothing you have said refutes the story I posted.

JustWonders

1  
Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 09:40 am
The story you posted clearly asks why all of Dr. King's speeches, which were filmed or taped, aren't shown on TV today.

The answer is they can be shown.

The price starts at around $2,000.

1  
Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 09:53 am
The gist of the article is that King's last acts are glossed over by the media. A media glossing over these things does not intend to show those speeches, no matter what. So what are you trying to say? Is there a point here that I am missing?

JustWonders

1  
Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 10:21 am
When the "media" tried to show the speeches, they were sued.

"Eyes on the Prize" (said by many to be the most important civil rights documentary of all time - showing historical footage from the period) isn't shown publicly anymore and its creator was sued.

How can one write about a subject without using reference material of some sort, knowing that use of that material may very well get them sued?

You really think it's some vast conspiracy?

If King remains a one-dimensional grainy black-and-white figure who utters the same sunny sound bite year after year until it's a cliche, it's because news networks won't pay for more, and researchers have been kept from delving deep into his papers to tell us something new about the Martin Luther King the man, not the statuette.

And his family wants it that way.

1  
Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 10:23 am
The gist of the article was not that the speeches are not shown, but that his last acts are glossed over. Meaning, they can tell of these things without showing the speeches, but have a policy to not do it.

Bi-Polar Bear

1  
Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 10:29 am
JW will do whatever necessary to put the black hat (no pun intended) on the King camp Edgar. Ignore.

1  
Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 10:31 am
I know you are right, blue veined one, but I have been trying out a policy of politeness.

1  
Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 10:47 am
Besides, the rapid exchanges may have brought in more readers, if not posters.

JustWonders

1  
Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 10:51 am
So...you both agree that making Dr. King a commodity for profit is a bit cheesy.

Good to know Smile

1  
Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 10:58 am
Which thread are you trying to post on JW? So far, nothing you've posted relates to the subject in question.

Anon-Voter

1  
Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 11:12 am
Edgar,

Some of us get the point of the post, which is well taken. I'm watching "Meet The Press" right now as I write, and it is going into some of the very aspects of this Topic.

I have finally found a picture of a rightwinger in deep thought that I think is very appropriate.

http://www.cyberbuzz.org

Anon

1  
Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 11:31 am
I recall very clearly the last few years of King's activism. I saw him portrayed in the news in a harsher light. I thought it possibly was attributable to his straying from his original message. I did not learn to see until later, it simply was that the press and many less committed Americans simply could not walk with him to the journey's end. We are now at a point where the dream carries on, or is thwarted a few more generations, while people sort out their true priorities. I am not generally optimistic.

Anon-Voter

1  
Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 11:40 am
Neither am I. We have taken a giant step backwards by about 50 years as near as I can tell!! Bigotry and exclusion are the "in" things at the moment while our me-first society gluts itself. It's not a pretty picture, especially when you take a look at what we're leaving posterity!!

Anon

nimh

1  
Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 11:45 am
Very interesting, Edgar.

As for the distract-the-topic-to-a-digression-that-is-only-vaguely-related-but-can-be-counted-upon-to-create-enough-contention-to-swamp-whatever-was-the-original-point-of-the-argument strategy, well, we should know it by now. It appears to be a conservative classic, at least in this era.

1  
Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 11:47 am
Yep start a thread about bread and eggs and someone will try to get you talking about feather mattresses.