Martin Luther King

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 06:59 pm
Flighty, but not insulting or derogatory to anyone.
0 Replies

Jack Webbs

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 07:11 pm
Oh, don't tell me you feel insulted or derogoratized edgar. If you do why the apology is all mine.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 07:18 pm
Other than pure historical signifigance I don't see any point in having the 4th of July a national holiday.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 07:23 pm
AND

If we're going to pick on manufactured holidays:

Mother's Day
Father's Day
Grandparents Day
Groundhog Day
Flag Day
Valentine's Day

ad infinitum.
0 Replies

Jack Webbs

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 08:11 pm
Oh of course Boomerang, these are some of the "what ifs" I was referring to in my post to Merry Andrew. Nothing new here, nothing unexpected, nothing of significance.

I doubt there were any arguments against the holidays you cited other than ones from the business community possibly. Everyone was nearly unanimous in celebrating and honoring these events although I don't believe Groundhog Day is a National paid holiday, a real holiday.

Everyone has their own ideas about the holidays I guess. I continue to celebrate Lincoln's birthday on the 12th as well as George Washington's on the 22nd because it happens to be my birthday as well. I pay little if any attention to Black History month because I already read about their history a long time ago. I fly the Irish Tri-Color for the entire month of March even though St. Patrick's Day is only one day, the 17th. Why? I don't know, that's just the way I am.

If you're sharp enough to notice, my avatar is the symbol of the old Royal Ulster Constabulary(RUC), the Irish Police force of the North. My family is from the South. I admire the RUC as much as I do the Garda Sciochana. Now that I think of it I think the RUC no longer is. Pardon me for digressing.

Other than enjoying paid holidays I don't pay much attention to the rest. I expect everyone to work if it is not a paid U.S. Government Holiday. That is just the way I am.

Happy Holiday! What holiday you ask? Pick one! :wink:
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 08:15 pm
My comment about manufactured holidays was more in relation to Kwanza.

Last time I check nobody was getting paid to take that day (those days?) off.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 08:17 pm
If Webb ain't a racist, he likely decided to pick on a thread frequented by bleeding heart cowardly liberals to see if he could get us to in a dither. I dismiss his posts as so much bullshit from now on and ignore them.
0 Replies

Jack Webbs

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 08:30 pm
You're being foolish edgar. I am not a racist and I do not pick on people. I have nothing against Liberals as I enjoy hearing everyone's point of view.

Not long ago I attended an awards/ fund raising ceremony hosted by Liberals and primarily for Liberals. I paid my $15 just like the other 100 people (mostly Liberals) that attended.

Although I found some of the comment to be silly, childish I was polite and I did not laugh. I enjoyed most of the three hours had a nice buffet and met some interesting people.

Edgar, let me know when you attend your next Right Wing gathering will you please. Tell us about it.

By the way, I take pride in being registered as an Independent and I am politically moderate.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 07:19 am
I'd tell you you were barking up the wrong tree Jack, but hey, dogs will be dogs.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 07:36 am
I used to attend right wing gatherings exclusively. Thought I was one, you see. Used to vote for the likes of Goldwater and Reagan. After I moved into the liberal camp I spent 3 years listening to Rush L., thinking I had to answer everything he said. Then I realized that depriving him of a portion of his audience was the best answer. But, it's like living in a right wing meeting in this part of Texas. Rest assured I hear the message daily.
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 11:35 pm
EdgarBlythe - A bleeding heart liberal?
edgarblythe wrote:
If Webb ain't a racist, he likely decided to pick on a thread frequented by bleeding heart cowardly liberals to see if he could get us to in a dither. I dismiss his posts as so much bullshit from now on and ignore them.

Are you a bleeding heart cowardly liberal EdgarBlythe? LOL I just wandered in here tonight to see if I could find a familiar face.

I see it's politics as usual, a little racism, a little bigotry and a whole lot of BS. I may wander in again to see who I can find.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 11:38 pm
Hey, Mag! Don't be such a stranger.
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 11:43 pm
Treason
ConstitutionalGirl wrote:
John Kerry, MLK, Jane Fonda, and other Veitnam War Protesters with Big Money, went to France to stop that war. That in it's self alone is called Treason. Do you have proof the the Crusaders was the KKK? My mother grew up in a multi-culture New York City, and would read anything racist let alone anything KKK.

If you want to see treason, turn your eyeballs toward 1600 Pennsylvania Av. any day of the week unless he is on vacation at that pig farm in Texas.
There is nothing treasonous about protesting an illegal war .....

Would you mind furnishing a source for this fantastic trip taken by MLK,Kerry, Fonda & others who "went to France to stop that war"?

That's a new one for me. 2 Cents
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 11:47 pm
Hey!
Merry Andrew wrote:
Hey, Mag! Don't be such a stranger.

Hey yourself Merry Andrew. You had to know that I would end up in the middle of a political thread wouldn't you?!!
I spotted Cicerone Imposter, Walter Hintler & several others in another thread planning a European meet-up. That sounded like fun. Wish I could afford a European trip. I might invade their party to get away from this insanity for a while.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 09:59 am
Hi. magginkat. Welcome; hope you stay around.
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 12:18 pm
hello EdgarBlythe, Long time no see.

I'll check in from time to time. Thanks.
0 Replies

BigTruth

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 09:37 am
MLK Was A Traitor
I don't know where you people get the idea that MLK was all that great. He was a traitor to this country and as far as I am concerned he got what was coming to him on April 4 1968. King also supported Madlilyn Murray O'Hair in having prayer removed from public schools. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 04:57 pm
Rave on, but don't expect a warm welcome from me.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 05:46 pm
Edgar speaks for many of us--and he speaks well.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 06:20 pm
How was MLK a traitor? I haven't heard that opinion before.
0 Replies