Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2016 10:39 am
I have posted something about the man every year. This time I just want to comment that his legacy lives, but great chunks of the gains of the civil rights movement have lately been slipping away. I don't know how to reverse the trend. I think the first thing, though would be to elect a congress that regulates media, to allow for honest reporters to tell the truth when reporting, without reprisal. That would mean breaking up the near monopoly held by several right wing leaning interests.

Then, the courts would need to enforce laws already passed to aid civil rights. And law enforcement be demilitarized and no longer allowed to murder black Americans with impunity. The list would be long if I had the presence of mind to add it all up. Suffice to say, I could not be more disappointed.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,256 • Replies: 3
No top replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2016 12:01 pm
Just as a discussion point;

Had King not been assassinated (Which I am sad about) do you think King would have gone the Jesse Jackson route or more of a Gandhi direction? I certainly don't think he would have gone the Sharpton route.

Thoughts?
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2016 01:36 pm
@McGentrix,
I personally think he was becoming more focused on working class rights and pay at the end. I don't see him as being like Jackson, whom I consider dedicated to the cause, but who made some personal choices that undermined and destroyed his effectiveness. I don't follow Sharpton at all. I have never felt friendly to him, since his early notoriety.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2016 03:56 pm
0 Replies