American Hyper-sensitivity

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 06:40 pm
What's nice about that picture is it actually shows the ability of one with years of experience in politics and in the Senate practicing true diplomatic skills and demonstrating the clear ability to articulate what they mean to foreign dignitaries.

Imagine if such a man was allowed to lead this country, rather than the complete idiot savant currently in the White House.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 08:18 pm
Pleased to see the Dook back.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 08:38 pm
Claiming this is an American only thing is pretty silly. Most folks tend to back their homeland when it's being abused. Them Canadians are the friendliest folks there are, but watch how Cav reacts if you poke fun at the Canadian Armed Forces. Shocked

Some of us just get tired of the non-stop America bashing festival that takes place here... and take extra issue when those same fools are citizens who claim to love the object of their near constant derision. Idea
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 09:57 pm
I never claimed it was only an American thing, Bill. I was just focusing on that aspect of it because I am an American.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 10:15 pm
I think this one has some Revelence Laughing

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050114/lthumb.lon10701141356.britain_us_kerry_lon107.jpg

LORD OF THE FATUOUS!!!
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 11:09 pm
Kicky: Fair enough.

JW: Laughing Did you see that idiot's 2008 campaign ad today? He used his entire time with Condi as a Bush bashing platform, mostly on issues she had zero control over. Nice of him to point out to the terrorists where they can find fissionable material, though. Shocked Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 11:36 pm
Haha - I loved it when Kerry started his diatribe of how he planned to cure the world's problems. Dr. Rice oh-so-diplomatically informed him she'd be happy to discuss it with him another time. Which translates: you ran, you lost, but I see you finally showed up for work.

"Fissionable material".....pretty funny Smile LOL.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 12:41 am
America, like France, is a lightning rod and political symbol.

I think much of the perceived "defensiveness" stems from anticipation of vitrol.

IMO the vitrol is the problem, and hurts the chances for reasonable dialogue.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 01:07 am
kickycan wrote:
I never claimed it was only an American thing, Bill. I was just focusing on that aspect of it because I am an American.

And also, most of the people on this thread have also pointed out that national hyper-sensitivity is very common. More's the pity.

It would have been interesting if we could actually have had a discussion of that fact and what exaggerates it, and what ameliorates it.

I am wondering if there are actually countries which have a habit of being LESS defensive? I think the less defensive we are - both nationally and personally - the more mature and able to think things through rationally we are - and the more able to learn.

I think Craven's point about the vitriol, and the defensiveness this tends to encourage, is extremely good - as is being evidenced on this site, as these threads attacking various countries are being batted to and fro - like the little ball in Dookiestick's avatar.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 07:41 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Claiming this is an American only thing is pretty silly. Most folks tend to back their homeland when it's being abused. Them Canadians are the friendliest folks there are, but watch how Cav reacts if you poke fun at the Canadian Armed Forces. Shocked

Some of us just get tired of the non-stop America bashing festival that takes place here... and take extra issue when those same fools are citizens who claim to love the object of their near constant derision. Idea

Some of us get tired of bashing the administration and it's following policies and decisions being synonymous with bashing america and frankly could start caring a less about what some others think about people having a right to believe what they believe and expressing it frequently.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 09:13 am
Dookiestix wrote:
What's nice about that picture is it actually shows the ability of one with years of experience in politics and in the Senate practicing true diplomatic skills and demonstrating the clear ability to articulate what they mean to foreign dignitaries.

Imagine if such a man was allowed to lead this country, rather than the complete idiot savant currently in the White House.

I think a lot of people "imagined" the possibilities of Kerry in the WH, and that is a big reason he isn't there.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 11:07 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:

Smile Oh, puhleeze. I know our armed forces suck. Laughing
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 11:11 am
I distinctly recall you going Dahmer on someone for suggesting otherwise, Cav... I just can't remember where. :wink:
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 11:25 am
Ah yes... does this ring any bells?

http://userpages.umbc.edu/~mcrous2/canadian%20navy.jpg
cavfancier wrote:
Let's use an analogy here regarding the Canadian navy joke: (Follow me 'Mericans, in case I'm moving too quickly here) White man makes nigger joke. Not funny. Chris Rock makes nigger joke, funny as hell. Got it?
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 11:26 am
Quote:
I think a lot of people "imagined" the possibilities of Kerry in the WH, and that is a big reason he isn't there.

People imagined that their votes would be counted, too.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 11:33 am
Dookiestix wrote:
Quote:

People imagined that their votes would be counted, too.

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050106/capt.dcgh10201061945.electoral_votes_dcgh102.jpg

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1110801#1110801
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 11:33 am
Please tell me if the following is an anti-American statement:

When Condoleezza Rice, in the Senate hearings, asked about the recent human disaster in Asia, answered that the tsunami in Asia was "a marvelous opportunity for America" to strenghthen ties with countries like Indonesia in a strategy that "has paid us good dividends", she reflects, bluntly, the true soul of the US government. No heart, only interests. It's clear to me that, at least in this case, the American people (and let me put Bi-Polar Bear's efforts in fund raising as an example) are ill-reppresented.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 11:38 am
Quote:
It's clear to me that, at least in this case, the American people (and let me put Bi-Polar Bear's efforts in fund raising as an example) are ill-reppresented.

A sad reality that individuals like Ticomaya seem to fail to understand.
0 Replies

Steppenwolf

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 11:42 am
Fbaezer wrote:

Quote:
Please tell me if the following is an anti-American statement:

When Condoleezza Rice, in the Senate hearings, asked about the recent human disaster in Asia, answered that the tsunami in Asia was "a marvelous opportunity for America" to strenghthen ties with countries like Indonesia in a strategy that "has paid us good dividends", she reflects, bluntly, the true soul of the US government. No heart, only interests. It's clear to me that, at least in this case, the American people (and let me put Bi-Polar Bear's efforts in fund raising as an example) are ill-reppresented.

It's hard to separate the American populace from its government. Moreover, I suspect that Dr. Rice was merely trying to a find a silver lining in that tragic event. Thus far, the American government's response to the tsunami has been rather exemplary. Sound bites are of limited value here.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 11:45 am
Quote:
Thus far, the American government's response to the tsunami has been rather exemplary.

I think that Americans in general have responded better than our government. Wouldn't it be nice to tone down the inagural and give that money to either the Tsunami victims or our troops in battle?
0 Replies