Apprentice 3 - Street Smarts vs. Book smarts

smog

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 09:12 pm
I think that I can speak for everyone when I say, "Well, duh, we saw that one coming."
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 09:13 pm
It's over. It's Kendra.

Tana's treatment of her employees in her last task did her in. Eliminate that, and Tana might have won.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 10:34 pm
Even in the end, Tana was taking credit for the Pontiac brochure.

It looks like Tana watched herself on television and she appeared very nervous about the way she was portrayed . . . chalking up some of it as a bad joke.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 07:28 am
What was that "hoo ... hoo ... hoo" thing from Tana after Kendra agreed that Tana came up with the shape of the brochere. Really showed that she did not have much to stand on - seemed like a move that would be made on a Jerry Springer show.

Kendra remained professional and kept her cool through the whole process. She was definately prepared and no had issue with saying that Tana came up with the shape, but as Kendra said that is not the whole part of the brochere. With no pictures or words, it is just that a blank oval shape.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 07:45 am
I actually cringed at Tanas behavior - whooping it up because the brochure shape was her idea. Yes, maybe, but an idea is not a result - Kendra did ALL the work!

I was impressed with Kendra not apologizing for crying in the boardroom - comparing it to winning a sporting event and how a big athletic guy would cry too if he won!
0 Replies

AllanSwann

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 08:45 am
It was good to see Kendra win, even though it should have been a foregone conclusion. However, I was disappointed that Kendra was mildly chastised by George, Carolyn and Trump for supposedly "flying under the radar." The season review that opened the show clearly showed Kendra coming up with turning point ideas in the early tasks (i.e., the discount furniture deal in the motel restoration project and the exclusive co-promotion with other vendors in the mini-golf project) as a team member. In my opinion, she shined as a leader and a follower throughout this season and was definitely the cream of this somewhat lackluster crop.

As for Tana, how George could say she came up with brilliant ideas is beyond me. In fact, she came up with more brilliant ways to take credit for other people's ideas than any contestant to date. I agree that it was obvious she was trying to do some serious backtracking/revisionist history in the finale and I gave my own Tana "hoot" when she said "this was not the Tana project, this was the Team NetWorth project." The tape don't lie and throughout the final project she bragged to everyone and anyone within earshot how she single-handedly turned her event into practically the greatest show on earth. I swore if Tana won I would boycott A4 and was relieved when she was sent packing without so much as a parting gift or word of praise.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 09:47 am
I believe that George and Carolyn and even Trump were trying to make their selection process seem more even handed my making additional positive statements about Tana and negative ones about Kendra.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 10:42 am
But, hey, the first two winners also "flew under the radar." Personally, I think this is a good strategy. It's like the films nominated for the Oscar -- when are they released? I think the Donald recognized this despite his comment as he turned it around abruptly and as much as said she pulled herself up into the top ranks and could be the only winner. It was obvious that Tana's reprehensible attitude and treatment of her "employees" would be her downfall, not to mention the crowing about coming up with the shape of the brochure. The car is basically copying the Jag anyway.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 12:49 pm
I agree that flying under the radar is an excellent strategy. Much like a distance runner saving their energy for the final stretch.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 01:05 pm
I like street smarts over book smarts, because I have difficulty with book smarts. Wink
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 12:52 am
Article:

Quote:
[Kendra] Todd, the 26-year-old "book smarts" real estate broker from Boynton Beach, Fla., bested "street smarts" entrepreneur and mother of two Tana Goertz during the final boardroom battle.

[Tana] Goertz, 37, of Des Moines, didn't go down without a fight. She assertively pointed out in front of the live audience that a winning idea for a round Pontiac brochure during one of the tasks was her idea although Todd was the task's project manager.

"I thought it was a little much," Trump said of Goertz's self-acknowledgment. "I don't mind aggression in men or women, but I found it to be a little obnoxious. I didn't love it."

Todd said she had been expecting Goertz to bring up the brochure.

"I was pretty sure that was going to happen," Todd said. "Believe me, I had my strategies in line. I knew everything that they might come at me with. I am a team player. I give credit where credit is due. ... (But) certainly there's more to a brochure than just the shape."
0 Replies