Apprentice 3 - Street Smarts vs. Book smarts

Debra Law

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 11:44 am
John did an amazing job pulling the Net Worth team together. They had a rather smooth win on the first assignment in comparison to the other team -- but John himself is anything but smooth.

John is good with people -- but he has a rough persona. He's a diamond in the rough. He appears almost like some fellow you'd expect to see running one of the "GodFather's" operations -- a mafioso. LOL Both his vocabulary and his presentation need polish.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 10:20 am
After the horrible commercials they came up with, I guess Donald will have to try and weed out the one creative executive who may still be hiding in the bunch. Not that they've found any creative executives yet but so far I don't see a good leader amongst the lot. I would sure start looking at the systme and the time frame to find these people because I'm not impressed. It's like the American Idol for business. I suppose the Donald doesn't have to keep the newly rich executives if they don't perform!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 10:23 am
I was so bad last night - crazy for both teams
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 10:51 am
What's amazing is they touched on an idea that if they wanted to use sex, they could appeal to straights and gays. The shot of hard bodies, male (sans the washing down by the third hand) and female using the product could have been subliminally dropped into an entirely different scenario than the two weak one they came up with. The actual commercial shown at the end of the program was artistically exciting including some clever morphing but somehow I don't think it sold the product that well.

The two groups are almost dead out of the starting gate so it may be interesting only in seeing who flies under the radar this time and gets hired. I think they can make it through by understanding corporate politics and showing off their leadership ability without kissing Donald's ass. This is the way it's been done before. Just look for the one who doesn't use the tired interview ploys tantamount to "I AM the next American Idol." The mistakes made are assuming a sale -- hey, look at me, the Donald already should know I'm the one.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 11:03 am
The cleverest ad incorporating an inference of a gay couple is the V8.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 11:07 am
This season of the Apprentice is NOT about showcasing the applicants. It's all about showcasing the sponsor's products. The focus has shifted and it is disgusting. I don't tune in every week to watch an hour long commercial -- at least I didn't in the past, but that's what we're being fed now.

Burger King
Taster's Choice
Dove

What will it be next week?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 11:24 am
You've got it -- the tie in's are abysmally obvious. Actually the task to make a TV commercial has failure written all over it. Donny Deutsch also has a series on CNBC. The crassness of American marketing rears its ugly head. Caveat Emptor.

Don't think I'll be rushing out to buy Dove's current mostly water product. Ever look at the ingredients of these new wonder products for hygene? Either it's water or whipped mineral oil.

Burger King? Did the Donald even watch "Supersize Me?"

Taster's Choice? For those who can't stand the taste of coffee. The beans are likely roasted in Tiajuana.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 01:33 am
There might be one or two capable ones, but the rest are unprofessional.

I can't stand Erin by the way.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 01:04 pm
I can't relate to any of them, personally or business wise. It's alright to have an ego, we are all stuck with one after all, but channeling it for positive results without boorishly brandishing everyone in sight is difficult to master. A good leader acts in a cooperative way with their colleagues. I think whoever gets picked will naturally have to learn on the job. Ya know, our Presidente is learning on the job but unfortunately doesn't seem to have learned anything. That's because he can't recognize his mistakes. Same here, I don't see them recognizing and prioritizing the correction of mistakes. Donald and his two cohorts, especially Carolyn, recognize this and are taking prisoners.
0 Replies

AllanSwann

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 05:08 pm
<Wondering if this reality-series franchise and, likewise, this thread, has run out gas>

The most striking aspect to A3 is how pale in comparison these folks are to the A1 and A2 contestants. Nary a Troy, Bill, Amy, Kelly, Raj or even Sam or Omarossa among 'em. At this point, I can't picture Trump hiring any of this lot. Maybe the final will have the same result as last week's project -- no winner and therefore, no new Apprentice.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 05:12 pm
Quote:
no winner and therefore, no new Apprentice.

I wouldn't count on it - I think the next season is already done and also there are having a Martha Stewart spin-off.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 11:16 pm
I think we all agree that Apprentice 3 features a lot of egotistical, kissing-trump-ass (although that's not really new but now they sure turned it up a notch), annoying, pale-in-comparison contestants. Question
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 09:03 am
The Donald will hire someone and if they are inept at the job he gives them, he will fire them. There is nothing in the reward of the job that states they have eternal job security. I think there has to be something drastically wrong with the initial selection system and they are gradually getting more and more insincere contestants that are built on greed and egotism but too little substance. One of the judgement factors is the one or two contestants who impress the Donald under the radar, especially if they show up at the boardroom and are adept at defending their leadership qualities often by helping Trump decide who is going to go. The weaker contestants have called in stronger ones (two of which have won in I and II) for some kind of diversion tactic based on a mistake they made in the task and it backfires on them. I've stated in the past that I think the Donald and his cohorts on the show have already picked out the winner or at least two or three potential winners long before the end of the show. In a way, they entrap the weakest ones in the first three or four tasks and what one sees on their TV is mostly show for entertainment. It's the last three tasks that leave those that were meant to be competing for the job in the first place. They are trying to be very clever in not tipping their hand as if they did, there would be no show. It's still in the top ten but can it maintain its popularity into four and five?
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 12:18 pm
The editing is getting sloppy also. We were shown members of each team exhibiting mild astonishment at first sight of the unadorned trailers. One would expect them to be slightly less shocked at the sight of standard vehicles.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 01:34 pm
The editing isn't much different from a daytime soap-opera. As far as Airstream Trailers, they've been around for so long I wouldn't be startled to see a barebones model ready-to-go for an interior/exterior creative design for a particular purpose. Sometimes I do see the participants "acting," and the fact that their quarters, the anteroom (including the elevators that don't actually go up-and-down) and the boardroom are sets, it takes away from a semblance of reality.

The street wise team excelling at a creative solution sure did indicate that one can't necessarily learn to be creative nor a leader in a university. I suppose a great leader must know what creative processes go into a successful project. The jobs the Donald has handed out don't require a great deal of hands-on creativity unless one were to get to play architect or engineer. They do require cognitive leadership which I just don't see in this bunch.

The individuals all seem to have good careers going for them now so is there a lack of enthusiasm which manifests itself in people quitting and not seeming to be all that disturbed about being shown the door? I havne't picked out one person out of this bunch who seems committed and if they are, is it merely greed for the huge salary?
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 09:20 am
Street Smarts is better than Book Smarts.

that last one with the whole spray paint thing the book smarts one looked like crap comparied to the street smarts one. I couldn't even see the name of the game when they showed it. I can't believe it won.

I beleive the guy's name is John--on the street smarts team-- he's going to win. That's my pick.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 02:29 am
John is GONE
John was fired. I was glad to see him go. His overbearing, sexist attitude and comments were intolerable.

I think Kendra, Tana, and Angie have a shot at the final three. I think a woman is going to win this time.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 09:47 am
I was so disappointed in John. I actually liked him during the first few shows, but after the last two, I could not stand him. I was hoping that last week was just unusual for him, but after the way he acted, I would have liked to punch him in the face. He made such an a** of himself when meeting with the musicians too. Even the has been from Kiss pretty much said stroke my ego and he still didn’t get it. And the way he kept cutting off the women. What an a**.

I really like Tana in this one. She was hysterical. She tried hard, but came across being sincere and likeable with the musicians. She also did well on TV.
0 Replies

AllanSwann

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 04:46 pm
After several weeks of A3, the entire "cast" still seems so pale compared to the likes of Troy, Bill, Kwame, Amy, Kelly, Jenn & company. Much earlier, I thought John was the likely finalist from the Street Smarts team but over the past 2 weeks in particular, his boorish, egotistical chauvinism became more and more prevalent and it wasn't hard to foresee his firing last night. Actually, I thought he should have been fired last week when he basically undermined Audrey's management. I realize some of the game players try to sabotage or undermine tasks so the PM gets fired. But if Donald Trump were truly looking for good people for his organization, a better gauge of their value would be how well someone performs under a weak or uninspired PM. Last night, John deservedly got fired for failing to produce a win on a task for which he arguably had more experience than any other candidate -- dealing with music industry types.

It would certainly be overdue for a woman to win and I agree that Kendra and Tana would be the best candidates. I also think Alex or Bren has a shot.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 05:01 pm
Bren is an oddball . . . don't you think?

In a way, he presents himself as the conservative prosecutor from the South . . . happily married . . . but he displays sexual oddity.

He was the one who came up with the cucumber innuendo and homosexual angle on the body wash commercial . . . and there have been other oddities . . . just like last night's episode when he labeled Tana a "MILF." There were a few other odd things that I noticed about him, but I'd have to go back and rewatch to remember the specifics. He just doesn't come across as a person who has all of his screws tightened . . . if that makes any sense.
0 Replies