goodness and light, etc.

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2017 08:08 am
Hi,
Would anyone answer the following questions? Thanks!

Quote:
It all makes for a great story, and as a selfconfessed “incurable optimist,” I believe in “goodness and light.” But sadly, that story is changing, and there is more to it, much more, and the whole story rarely gets told.

1. I speculate "goodness and light" derives from the Bible. And is the opposite expression "evilness and darkness" ? If no, please correct me.

Quote:
A lot of these people are so crooked they have to screw their socks on in the morning! They can’t not victimize people if they see an opening. They will lie when the truth would do better because it is just their nature.

2. What does "screw their socks on in the morning mean?

Quote:
My dad used to say, “There is something about that old boy over there that I just can’t stand about me!” What he was saying is that he could see in others only that which he had to some degree within himself. The converse is true: If we don’t have it within ourselves, we can be quite blind to it. That’s why I’m working to put these potentialities consciously on your radar screen, so you can see them, even though they are foreign to your way of thinking.

3. Would anyone tell me how the remark is intrepreted by the writer later? I understand the explanation the writer wrote, but I have little idea why it means that. In other words, what is the logic deduction between the original remark of "my dad" and the interpretation ?

For example, what does it refer to about " I can't stand about me"?

Quote:
We will challenge many timeworn beliefs, and if they withstand challenge, then fine, hang on tight. But if they don’t, be prepared to hit the eject button and radically change what you think, feel, believe, and do.

4. I think "hit the eject button" means drop off the beliefs in this context. Is the expression idiomatic?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 488 • Replies: 7
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by iclearwater
PUNKEY
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2017 11:23 am
@iclearwater,
1. "goodness and light" derives from the Bible. Could be.

And is the opposite expression "evilness and darkness" ? Yes.

It's a general phrase to describe goodness and clear vision.

Play on words referring back to people being "crooked" - dishonest, not trustworthy.

3. “There is something about that old boy over there that I just can’t stand about me!” What he was saying is that he could see in others only that which he had to some degree within himself. The converse is true: If we don’t have it within ourselves, we can be quite blind to it. That’s why I’m working to put these potentialities consciously on your radar screen, so you can see them, even though they are foreign to your way of thinking.

" I can't stand about me"?

"about me" means that sometimes we dislike a person's attributes - the same that we ourselves have. For example, I dislike bossy people, yet I am often bossy. The attribute is mirrored in ourselves. I need to look back at myself.

"hit the eject button" - get out of that situation or thinking mode. Much like a pilot would do to get out of an airplane.

iclearwater

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2017 04:34 pm
@PUNKEY,
Thank you very much for your answers.

Quote:
Play on words referring back to people being "crooked" - dishonest, not trustworthy.

Would you explain further how "screw their socks on in the morning" refer to "be crooked"? How are the words played?
For example, why is that "in the morning", but not in the afternoon, evening?

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2017 04:45 pm
@iclearwater,
People get dressed in the morning. That's when socks go on.

Do you understand that "crooked" means dishonest? It also means twisted and turned.

Do you understand what it is to turn a screw ? The motion also has to be twisted and turned. So this means to "screw on his socks" on his crooked feet.

These are not common terms. You probably won't ever hear this joke again.
centrox

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2017 04:56 pm
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:
You probably won't ever hear this joke again.

Not so fast. Fellow politicians said of David Lloyd George that he was "so crooked that if he swallowed a nail, he's **** out a corkscrew"

A nail
https://images.homedepot-static.com/productImages/2df919f1-a149-4e76-9d66-2e8a4837406d/svn/everbilt-finishing-nails-801334-64_400_compressed.jpg

A corkscrew
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/images/thumb/corkscrew_392306806_250.jpg
0 Replies

iclearwater

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2017 05:08 pm
@PUNKEY,
Thank you very much, PUNKEY, again. Now I see the connection.
I think "in the morning" is also a pun, which implies that the dishonest people go to be dishonest way as soon as they wake up and get up.

Centrox, thank you for sharing the quote, which really makes me a day!
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2017 08:56 pm
No, "in the morning" is just an adjective prepositional phrase, not a pun.

And .... The expression is: "makes my day"
iclearwater

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2017 10:26 pm
@PUNKEY,
Thank you, PUNKEY.
0 Replies