dagmaraka

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 02:45 am
ugh. too bad E. is moving out, would be easier to replace the Young One.

the Young One is being silly, maybe some ultimatum could work.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 04:41 pm
Ok, wasting my time too. And how is it she thinks 26 years old is a good 'between' age....? And...and...and.... I had a bitch fest last night with E (One Moving Out).
msolga

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 04:57 pm
@littlek,
Smile

A (half serious) math suggestion to arrive at a "suitable age", k. (I'm trying to be helpful here)

Work out the difference between between your age & hers.
Halve that amount.
Then add the halved amount to her age .... & you have a reasonable compromise!
Can't get any fairer than that, can you?

Good luck!
Sounds like you're going to need it.

0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 05:06 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:
We are equal partners in the lease.

That's too bad for the current case, but couldn't there be a lesson for the future underneath here? Maybe it would be better if you alone leased the apartment from your landlady and then sublet parts of it to others. That way you always have a deciding vote no matter how many roommates share your home with you -- yours. Plus, your landlady would have one contract instead of three, with the tenant she trusts the most anyway. It seems that she might prefer such an arrangement as well. Democracy has its place, but it can also get pretty old.

Needless to say, that's just an idea. I don't mean to make your life worse by nagging.
sozobe

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 05:09 pm
@littlek,
E is still living with you for now, right? Can she be pulled in to the discussions at all?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 05:09 pm
@Thomas,
Great minds think alike, Thomas! I was thinking the exact same thing yesterday.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 05:53 pm
31 would be the age now, 32 in a about a month. If we open it up and add 2 years to each side we'd have 29-33. Only one female near that age has come to see the place and she never got back to us. One male in the range came by as well. We just don't have the luxury of being that picky. So, we open up a little more and we have 27 and 35. Add only one other apartment hunter to that range.

If I hold the lease (which I'd like), I am responsible for all the rent. Housemates would have no legal responsibility to stay a full year and I would have to cover their rent. So.... the lesson is brought to me occasionally, but I just shy away from the financial responsibilities. I think I should talk to my landlady anyway.

Yes, E (the one who is moving) is involved in the conversation.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 05:57 pm
@littlek,
Does Boston allow legal sublets? in the alternative, can you legally rent out a share of the apartment if you hold the lease? if either those is a yes, you would have a legal hold on the other residents - and you'd be boss of the unit.

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 05:58 pm
@littlek,
Quote:
31 would be the age now, 32 in a about a month. If we open it up and add 2 years to each side we'd have 29-33. Only one female near that age has come to see the place and she never got back to us.

Perhaps if you advertise for people specifically in this age range?
And, I guess given the circumstances, only women?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 07:01 pm
Beth, it's worth checking out.

MsO, it's more than women only. It's only women not from Boston University, under the age of 25 (apparently), who have a personality, who aren't writers and who are interested in actually living with us.
msolga

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 07:05 pm
@littlek,
Agghhhhhhhhh!

There's no other way around this, k.

You're just gonna have to arrange for a hit man to deal with her! Sorry, but no other solution will work!!! Laughing Wink
ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 07:08 pm
@msolga,
I guess I'm polymorphously perverse. I'd have a hard time not saying that I didn't want to live with two young people (and not saying immature along with it).
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 07:11 pm
@littlek,
Just curious, k.

Why are women from Boston University such terrible candidates? Wink
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 07:17 pm
I have no idea! She's from BU and so is the other current housemate (who's LEAVING me). So was Dasha. So was my friend Lili. So is my brother, for that matter.
msolga

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 07:30 pm
@littlek,
Idea Perhaps she has somebody in mind & absolutely no one else will do?

Otherwise ..... who knows? Confused Rolling Eyes Question Neutral
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 07:43 pm
I know, it's hard to figure out. If she had someone in mind, wouldn't she have proposed that person by now?
msolga

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 07:45 pm
@littlek,
Well, you'd think so, wouldn't you?

Because, well .. it sort of doesn't make sense ...

I keep coming back to the hit man solution. Wink
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 07:54 pm
littlek, at this point I would talk to the landlord/lady and see if you could
get more authority over potential housemates without having the financial
responsibility. I am sure it's also in the interest of the landlady that all parties
work well together and rents are paid on time. If she allows you to do the
background checking, payment history, etc. etc. it should be in her interest too.
Plus she knows that you're a responsible person and have lived there the
longest.
Potential housemates will have a contract of their own but you'll be the
deciding factor if they're allowed to move in or not.
littlek

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 07:54 pm
I sort of like the hitman solution myself. I'm almost ready to pull the psycho-if-you-don't-like-it-then-leave routine.
littlek

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 07:56 pm
@CalamityJane,
CJ - I was planning to talk to her tonight, but I haven't heard her come in our out yet. I don't know what can be done at this point. I do know she feels some of my frustration (been keeping her up to date on the progress - or lack thereof).
0 Replies