Being driven slowly insane by a high-pitched electronic beeping

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 11:04 am
For the past two days, there has been an alarm going off in my neighbor's apartment. It's not very loud, but from inside my apartment with the door closed, it is at least as loud as the beeping that a microwave makes when something's done.

Every five seconds I hear it; a short, high-pitched electronic beeping sound. Every five seconds, day and night, non-stop for the past two days. It seems my neighbor has gone away for the weekend, and since it's a long weekend, I am wondering whether I'll be listening to this annoying alarm sound for the next two days.

I feel like some tortured character in an Edgar Allen Poe story. I called the super, and he can't go into the guy's apartment because the guy just recently changed the locks on his apartment. How lucky for me. I'm going to kill this ************ when he gets back! Make it stop, please, make the beeping stop!!! AAAAAAGGGGHHHHH!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 14 • Views: 9,892 • Replies: 35

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 11:06 am
@kickycan,
kickycan wrote:
Every five seconds I hear it; a short, high-pitched electronic beeping sound. Every five seconds, day and night, non-stop for the past two days. It seems my neighbor has gone away for the weekend, and since it's a long weekend, I am wondering whether I'll be listening to this annoying alarm sound for the next two days.

I think they want your apartment. Watch out: you'll be moving soon!!!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 11:06 am
just imagining it is driving me nuts
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 11:10 am
kicky, seriously....

go down to the drug store and buy those foam ear plugs some people use when they're sleeping.

I use one's that have a 32 decibel rating, and it completely blocks out my husbands snoring, and he's 2 feet away from me.

In fact, I can't even hear the alarm clock going off in the morning wearing those things, and he has to give me a nudge to let me know it's gone off. The alarm clock is right on the night stand next to my bed.
chai2

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 11:17 am
Here're the ones I use.

Yeah, yeah, I know, the name, the color.

But they really are the best ones I've found. You roll them between your fingers to make slim cylinder, with one hand you pull back on your upper ear, and put the plug in with the other. Hold it in place for a few seconds while it expands back out, and your ears are sealed. You can use each one quite a few times.

http://sleepinpink.com/images/products/3000-28ct-thumb.jpg
djjd62

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 11:21 am
@chai2,
sorry, what were you saying, i've got my earplugs in
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 11:23 am
@chai2,
I would do that, but then I'll also be unable to hear my TV, stereo, etc...

There is nothing I can do, and, being the person that I am, I will probably not even confront them when they get home about it because I always try to put myself in the other person's shoes, thinking, "It's just a mistake. They didn't mean to drive me insane for three days straight, so I'll just leave it alone."

Would any of you confront the guy about it when he gets back? Or would you just let it go and be glad to have it over?
littlek

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 11:24 am
@kickycan,
Sounds like a fire alarm with low battery power. Do you have fire alarms inside your apartments? Not that this helps in any way.
kickycan

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 11:25 am
@littlek,
Yes, we do have fire/smoke alarms. I was hoping the goddammed battery in whatever it is would just run out, but it must be one of those stupid batteries that keeps going, and going, and going...
kickycan

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 11:27 am
@kickycan,
More likely that it's something plugged in, like a digital alarm clock or something, I think. That would at least explain why it hasn't stopped in two days.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 11:30 am
Either way, it'd drive me batty too.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 11:32 am
@kickycan,
kickycan wrote:

I would do that, but then I'll also be unable to hear my TV, stereo, etc...

There is nothing I can do, and, being the person that I am, I will probably not even confront them when they get home about it because I always try to put myself in the other person's shoes, thinking, "It's just a mistake. They didn't mean to drive me insane for three days straight, so I'll just leave it alone."

Would any of you confront the guy about it when he gets back? Or would you just let it go and be glad to have it over?

I don't know if confront would be the right word, but I would ask him if anything was plugged in, left on etc. More in the vein of just wanting to know.

It doesn't have to solve anything, it's over, but I don't think it's rude to ask about it.

No chance of putting the plugs in and enjoying some silence? Maybe reading? Lighting a candle and staring at the still flame and falling into a self trance?

That can be really nice.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 11:42 am
Kicky...I know you.

Getting to nuts for you...is not a drive. It is a putt at best...and a short putt at that.

As for the rest of the story...well, my guess is that when the guys gets home and stops the beeping...

...it will have made a track in your brain and you will continue hearing it for another two or three days. Sorta like one of those songs that you can't get out of your head.

Hope that made you feel better.
0 Replies

NSFW (view)
djjd62

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 11:54 am
http://www.gradymedical.com/images/products/9000vetLarge.jpg
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 11:56 am
@kickycan,
Did you move next door to the wabbit.....?

http://able2know.org/topic/128107-1

<sorry Kickster... be beep free soooooooooooooon> Wink
dagmaraka

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 12:11 pm
@Izzie,
could it be a bomb?

just to be sure, don't make any sudden movements or loud sounds.
djjd62

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 01:20 pm
@dagmaraka,
kicky, if your walking pace in the apartment slows down below 55 steps per minute the bomb will explode

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 02:20 pm
@Izzie,
Izzie wrote:

Did you move next door to the wabbit.....?

http://able2know.org/topic/128107-1

<sorry Kickster... be beep free soooooooooooooon> Wink

Yeah.

I think this whole thread is a mean jab at me.

Sobs.....
kickycan

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 02:22 pm
@dlowan,
No, I'm not kidding. I swear. it started Friday night around midnight. Honestly. It's driving me bonkers! It is a freaky coincidence though, I admit.