Joe Nation

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 10:31 pm
Didn't you tell him (i assume it was a him) that you would be perfect because he could practice as loudly as he wanted because the two of you are deaf as posts???
Joe(Wha??)Nation
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2009 05:45 pm
He plays fiddle - I'm not THAT deaf!

"The young one" is the current housemate who will be staying. The guy interested in moving in is the other old one (me being the first).
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2009 07:00 pm
@littlek,
Quote:
The young one doesn't want to live with TWO old people.

Silly young one! (How old is he?)

And two such fascinating old people, too! Wink

Um ... is he expecting that you live with two youngsters, k?

Or perhaps an "in between" aged person could be added to your household? That should be easily achieved!

Idea Does the gorgeous Irish musician have a friend looking for accommodation, perhaps?
patiodog

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2009 11:06 pm
@msolga,
Such drama. Easier in a bigger pad -- 5,6,7 people, the addition or subtraction of one isn't so monumental. Lived with some very interesting people in the big old Victorian...
msolga

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 12:03 am
@patiodog,
... or a smaller, 2 person situation, perhaps?

I wouldn't like to be constantly interviewing people to fill the inevitable vacancies which occur in such a large household. That was OK when I was a student, but ....
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 02:46 am
oof.

will the young one stay for next academic year?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 11:04 am
No, the Young One is planning on leaving the area at the end of this year.

The young one is 24(ish). I had concerns about her age, but I liked her - still do. She suggested we find someone between age (like the One Who is Moving). But, then she forwarded an email from a friend's sister suggesting she might be a good fit - the friend's sister is 23.

Meanwhile, we posted our advert online for a third time and have gotten no ideal prospects as of yet. So far we've had 5 people come see the place after two postings. Dasha knows how much interest we get when we're looking over the summer. This is not going to be easy.

Happily, the One Who is Moving has relaxed a little about the whole thing.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 11:06 am
Hey Pdawg! I agree with Olga that living en masse worked fine when I was younger. I dunno if I could do it now. Having a 2-person place might be better than three, but with three there's always a tie-breaking vote.
dagmaraka

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 01:25 pm
@littlek,
but if the young one will be moving in a few months, shouldn't it be more important that the new person is a good long term fit with you? as in, not a 23 years old person?

hope it works out, people do come for new job / semester in january, and those should start looking about now. fingers crossed.
msolga

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 03:57 pm
@dagmaraka,
My thinking exactly, dag. You beat me too it.

As the young one sounds like rather a nice person, surely if you explained your predicament to her she'd get it? Seems to me that she's only seeing things from her side at the moment. And it sounds like you have no time to lose!

Besides, as the person with the ongoing commitment to the house, I think it would be perfectly reasonable for you to (very nicely, of course!) "pull rank" in this situation. You simply can't afford to carry the entire cost of the house rental if a suitable person ( you both agree on) can't be found. And It is not as if you'd decide on any "old" monster! Wink

Is that Irish folk singer still looking for a place to live?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 05:53 pm
We told the Irish guy that we'd be back in touch with him by Wednesday. He very politely understood. So far we have two people coming to see the place. One is 24 and one is 27.
msolga

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 05:54 pm
@littlek,
Well good luck, k!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 05:57 pm
Thanks, MsOlga. I don't feel all that hopeful based on their emails. But, maybe I'm being a nudge.
msolga

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 05:59 pm
@littlek,
Well, there's always that other option! Wink

(Don't forget you're the one whose there for the long haul, k.)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 08:03 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:

Hey Pdawg! I agree with Olga that living en masse worked fine when I was younger. I dunno if I could do it now. Having a 2-person place might be better than three, but with three there's always a tie-breaking vote.

Aye, there's the rub.

This whole thing gets tougher as you get older...firstly because we get less flexible and tolerant, I think and secondly because the pool of sympatico housemates becomes vanishingly small, as people couple and buy, or just buy.

Sigh.

I wonder if your pool will go up with your mortgage crisis?

0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 05:11 pm
<sigh>

She posted an add with our address on Facebook. Not real pleased with that. We have 5 people coming, 4 are under 25 and the fifth is 27.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 05:13 pm
On flexibility, I think that she is actually being less flexible than I on this subject. I certainly am more flexible with who I live with now than I was at her age. And through practice I certainly seem more flexible on that point than she is being. I am probably less flexible about other things, though.
msolga

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 05:43 pm
@littlek,
Aghhh, this is getting messy, k.

She actually posted your address on Facebook? Surprised Rolling Eyes

(Sorry but) what an incredibly stupid thing to do. I would be furious if someone did that to me! Let's just say she's very naive. Sigh. Other thing: she didn't consult with you before doing this. Obviously. Sigh.

Quote:
On flexibility, I think that she is actually being less flexible than I on this subject. I certainly am more flexible with who I live with now than I was at her age. And through practice I certainly seem more flexible on that point than she is being. I am probably less flexible about other things, though.

I don't think she's being flexible at all. And perhaps you might be being a wee bit too flexible, given the circumstances?

The thing is:

Quote:
...the Young One is planning on leaving the area at the end of this year.

That's little over one month away. She will soon be gone. You will still be there. You'll be the one living with the new housemate. If she doesn't take that into account, well .... she's not exactly being considerate. (Note I'm being very polite here. Wink )
littlek

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 06:02 pm
Oops! I meant she'd be gone at the end of the lease-year. That's at the end of August.

But, YEAH to the rest of it!
msolga

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 06:09 pm
@littlek,
Shocked

Oh.

Neutral
0 Replies