nimh

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 03:54 am
@dagmaraka,
dagmaraka wrote:

Whoa, OK, i guess in other people's homes (i should just say it: i guess in chai's home) it is perfectly fine if their housemates or spouses bring a party home at 5 AM on Sunday...

Eh - that was kind of the point, though, no? Back when I was 25 and living with flatmates it would have been fine with me. Well, I would have been pissed about being kept awake (though I kind of sleep through everything anyway), but someone bringing a mate over to crash after a night out woulda been kind of par for course. Now, though, now I'm 37, I would find it absolutely intolerable. But then I wouldn't be able to live with flatmates anymore anyway - which I think was kind of Ebeth's point.

Also, I gotta say you cant really blame people for responding to what they read in the thread at hand. I mean the "who are you to say this stuff if you dont know me and dont know the rest of my life" stuff - though to be fair that wasnt you so much as Thomas speaking up for you. I mean, that comes with sharing your personal stuff on a public forum rather than in email or whatever: a bunch of people who read it will know only what you post here, and respond accordingly. If you dont want the whole world and their dog to weigh in, dont post it on a public forum, I guess?

Anyway, all mustard after the meal really, if you're going to move and get your own place soon. Which I think is real good, so congrats on that! And I do get the need to vent, shouldnt everyone? E.g. I just lost my fiancee and heard I will lose my job, all in one week, and if someone would tell me I shouldn't vent about it unless I'm already able to "come up with a solution on my own by listening to my own words, and fix it" all at the same time, I think I would slap them. Wink
dagmaraka

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 04:18 am
as i said - open forum, freedom of speech. selective memory is also free and open for use - doesn't mean i have to like it and can't object to it. same freedom of speech, right?

people do crash here at times. i told my housemate i prefer to know about it beforehand if that is possible, that is all. i would have preferred that when i was 25 too, then again i never had housemates quite of this sort - party people. i never lived in a true student pad where parties were on daily program. that is because i usually had more choice, this person was chosen by the landlord at the same time i was. it is not the crashing that i mind so much as the party at 5am that i know nothing about beforehand. party - that means multiple people (don't know how many), music, talking...that whole thing. that i would also have minded at 5am back when i was 25 as well.

btw, i had no issue with ehbeth's response whatsoever.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 04:33 am
@nimh,
nimh wrote:

I just lost my fiancee and heard I will lose my job, all in one week, and if someone would tell me I shouldn't vent about it unless I'm already able to "come up with a solution on my own by listening to my own words, and fix it" all at the same time, I think I would slap them. Wink

??? What is happening? A.? your job? Do tell!
nimh

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 04:40 am
@dagmaraka,
dagmaraka wrote:
??? What is happening? A.? your job? Do tell!

Eh - not here. Little urge to broadcast the story to everyone.
dagmaraka

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 04:46 am
@nimh,
of course, if you feel like it, feel free to shoot me an email - i'll understand if you don't as well.

either way, so sorry to hear that. do you have any plans in case your job falls through?
nimh

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 05:26 am
@dagmaraka,
not yet, we only heard on friday. well, a couple of minor plans, it's just they dont add up to a real job.
dagmaraka

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 05:32 am
@nimh,
ack, sorry to hear. will you stay in BP and look there?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 06:38 am
@dagmaraka,
Same response as dagmaraka.... 1) Ack! 2) understood about not wanting to broadcast 3) happy to listen via email if that's useful 4) but understand if you'd prefer not to.

But ack. Sorry nimh...!
Thomas

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 06:45 am
@sozobe,
What Sozobe and Dagmaraka said, nimh. Welcome to the unemployed singles club! And if your job search should ever bring you to the New York area, feel free to crash at my place anytime. I have no roommates.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 07:02 am
Nimh, if you like, send me your CV. This is a long shot (i.e. the project won't be approved for some time), but we have a very large project in the works on common themes in European history (online modules in history education) - and there will be lost of tecchie work around it. Of course, that's in The Hague...but if it sounds remotely cool, can't hurt to have a CV in the works here.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 03:40 pm
Geez, nimh! When it rains it pours. I'm really sorry to hear about A and the gloom at work.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 04:53 pm
Hi, nimh, sorry to read not so good news (understatement of the year). Hang in there, kiddo.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 03:09 pm
Greetings from Bratislava. I have been here for 2 months (well, minus 3 weeks of vacation with family), bought an apartment, moved in, worked on it since. Some have seen these on facebook already, but if not, here's an album from the process of home-making: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=120911&id=697154364&l=320298c965

And in two weeks, I start a new job. Ack. Not ready yet!
CalamityJane

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 03:33 pm
@dagmaraka,
I love it, dag! The colors for the rooms are great, very warm and transmit
a happy home. You'll be very happy there!
dagmaraka

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 03:43 pm
@CalamityJane,
thank you. just to muster another burst of energy to finish settling in. i have a first guest coming in a week, that should help.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 09:18 pm
Looking good, Dag.....
dagmaraka

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 09:32 am
@margo,
Dreading and looking forward to the new job at the same time... Dreading the waking up and nervous about teaching after such a long time, but glad to have a routine and being dragged out into center of the town every day - it will be great for me. And I can't complain about the position and salary either. Lots of challenges ahead, but then...I live for challenges.
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 09:39 am
@dagmaraka,
It seems like you have come full circle, dag, being back in Bratislava among
family and friends. A new (challenging) job, a place of your own and before
you know it, you're looking for a wedding dress.... Wink
dagmaraka

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 09:50 am
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

It seems like you have come full circle, dag, being back in Bratislava among
family and friends. A new (challenging) job, a place of your own and before
you know it, you're looking for a wedding dress.... Wink

shush woman! such scary thoughts!
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 10:42 am
@CalamityJane,
For now, Calamity Jane, Dagmaraka is busy looking forward to the beatings next Easter. It's a miracle how she survived all those previous Easters without it.