dagmaraka

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 07:16 pm
@sozobe,
yeeeeaaah....although, he wants us to "know each other"....have dinner and hang out.

...i don't care so much for that, i don't need him to be my BFF (find him a bit annoying though that's mostly because of the age i think...i was different 10 years ago myself), i just want a respecful housemate and a safe place with enough privacy.
Mame

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 07:24 pm
Well, Dag, good luck with that. I've never had roommates that weren't my family, so this is new territory for me. Good that you wrote the email - best to be upfront about what you expect, etc etc, and I'm glad he took it well.

I value my privacy and alone-time, too, so I wouldn't like having that surprise to come home to, the noise all night, or the mess in the a.m. either.

Is it possible for you to not have to room with someone?
ossobuco

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 07:37 pm
@Mame,
I've only had one roommate besides my husband, and I'm still glad she's gone, gone, gone, drama not to revisit. So, what, I speak as a neophyte in roommate land.

So, I'll timorously venture that to be straightforward is useful.

I figure that by now I'd be a bitch of a roommate - anyone of some accrued years might have gained in a sense of what makes them comfortable in the home.

0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 07:42 pm
My former boyfriend and I are doing well with the roomate situation after a few sticky patches... Good luck, Dag.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 04:58 am
@dagmaraka,
dagmaraka wrote:
yeeeeaaah....although, he wants us to "know each other"....have dinner and hang out.

...i don't care so much for that, i don't need him to be my BFF (find him a bit annoying though that's mostly because of the age i think...i was different 10 years ago myself), i just want a respecful housemate and a safe place with enough privacy.

My best roommates fell into 2 categories: people I hung out with, and those I didn't. And they could both be really good roommates. He needs to get over trying to be the former and recognize that being the latter is just fine.

Good on you to quickly tell him why it was a problem, and not let it fester. He also, I think, needs to realize that not everyone thinks the same things are fun or pleasant.
dagmaraka

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 12:12 pm
@jespah,
Yes, the communication of issues and feelings is so far the best outcome of aging in my lifetime. It wasn't that way a decade or so ago.

But his wish to "get to know you wel...who you are, what you believel".... uh, I mean, come on kid, why? But that's sort of more difficult to say no to. So I'll have to survive an occasional dinner. Eh. Maybe he'll get over the urge soon :-)
Mame

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 12:26 pm
@dagmaraka,
Maybe you should walk around in a tinfoil hat and start talking about your alien friends - that'd cure him.
dagmaraka

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 12:31 pm
@Mame,
ha.... it's funny, i don't think i even wanted to DISinterest someone in my personna before :-)
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 04:41 pm
@Mame,
Proving once again just how versatile tinfoil really is.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 10:32 pm
I just had a lovely surprise birthday party thrown by my housemates in cahoots with my landlady. Some neighbor friends came to join us as did my brother and another old friend. I started catching on only as we were wrapping up dinner, when I saw birthday candles briefly appear on the kitchen table.

I owe the housemate big for her birthday next month.......
Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 10:38 pm
@littlek,
Oh wow...well happy birthday!
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 10:40 pm
@littlek,
Yes, happy birthday! I'm glad you had such a great party.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 10:43 pm
Emo, huh Dag?

Does he wear guyliner? (guy with eyeliner)

Or write really bad poems while cutting himself?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 10:48 pm
Happy Birthday, Kris. Very cool.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 04:23 am
@littlek,
Happy Birthday!!!!!!!

Glad you enjoyed the surprise!
margo

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 04:33 am
@dlowan,
surprise because the b'day party was early - not until 23/12
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 05:24 am
@littlek,
Aw, that's sweet! Congratulations!
jespah

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 05:25 am
@nimh,
Yay, Happy Early Birthday! Smile
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 05:48 am
Happy Birthday.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 07:29 am
Happy (early? well, at least I won't miss it!) Birthday, Littlek!
0 Replies