sit in the middle of the bell curve, etc.

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2017 06:49 pm
Hello,

Would anyone please explain the following questions about "words" and "phrases" ? Thanks!

Quote:
If you think I’m just a cynic; if you’re not interested in getting real and acknowledging that there are some truly bad people out there, committing to protecting yourself and your loved ones, and preserving what you earned and value and seek in life; if you want to be average; if you want to sit in the middle of the bell curve and “receive” rather than “create” what comes your way and hope thatnobody takes it away from you…

1. What does "sit in the middle of the bell curve" mean? I know "the bell curve" is a graph.

Quote:
There’s an old saying my football coaches used to tell us: “BS the fans, not the players!” I want you to become a player.

2. BS = bullshit?

Quote:
I come from a Christian and God-fearing family.

3. I wonder why it is "God-fearing" but not "God-loving". Is the God supposed to make people feared according to the dogma of Christianity?

P.S. If I should seperate the irrelevant questions in different threads, or that would be better, please advise. I'm new here, and not familiar with the forums rule. My intention is trying not to flood on the forum with the trivial questions.

View best answer, chosen by iclearwater
maxdancona
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2017 06:56 pm
@iclearwater,
The bell curve is a mathematical (i.e. statistical) concept that roughly says that in many things, most people are average (only a few people are outside the norm). You can read about it here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_distribution If you look at the graphs in the first diagram, they look kind of like bells (hence the name).

To "sit in the middle of the bell curve" is a overly wordy way to say "to be average".

Yes, BS is short for "bullshit".

The term "god-fearing" has the implication of someone who follows God's laws religiously (pun intended). If you fear God, then you do whatever God says. This means that you are going to avoid sin.
iclearwater

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2017 10:00 pm
@maxdancona,
Thank you very much for your help.

Is "sit in the middle of the bell curve" an idiomatic expression? If yes, I want to write down in my notebook of English.
roger

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2017 10:54 pm
@iclearwater,
No, it's just something native speakers would understand even if they never heard it used before.
iclearwater

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2017 02:05 am
@roger,
Thank you for your help.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2017 05:44 am
@iclearwater,
Quote:
Is "sit in the middle of the bell curve" an idiomatic expression? If yes, I want to write down in my notebook of English.

I have never heard this expression before. It actually sounds a little awkward to me (I wouldn't recommend you write this expression in your notebook). As Roger says, most Americans know what a bell curve is. So when I read this, I knew exactly what the writer was talking about.

It is important to know what a bell curve is.
iclearwater

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2017 07:32 am
@maxdancona,
Thank you again.
0 Replies